Campfire Curry - Picture Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
oh yes!:red: Never mind practice make perfect, I'll have another go tomorrow.

Steve
What you need is a buddy to sit in the kitchen with and chat over a beer whilst stirring and pottering and saying "taste this". Works for me every time. We have the kitchen back to the brick in our new "retirement cottage" at the moment. The one priority when designing a new one was space for sitting and chatting.

Galley kitchens are satans own invention - they suck the very joy out of cooking.

Red

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
Red,

Ok it's confession time. I got to the point of thinking I haven't got muslin what shall I use?

Being at home on my own I did what every resourceful guy does and called my mum for inspiration. Well I turned my back to look in the cupboard and the rest is history.

Our kitchen and lounge are one room across the back of the house opening intop the garden so the kitchen is sorted... I'll have to wotrk on the buddy bit!

"New Retirement Cottage" are you still in the locale of the Bowman or have you guys moved?

Steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Still there for now Steve - but will move when we have finished the renovations

As for "what to replace muslin" - coffee filter? tea towel?

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
One thing ive never found is a decent recipe for making Lime Pickle

any one have any ideas. i found a lime one a few years back and after following it diligently ended up with no less than half a gallon of the stuff but it wasnt any good..:-(

any ideas?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If it strains the lups out - its good ;)

Lupin Rider - I'll do my lie pickle as a tutorial some time.

My mango chutney is around somewhere already ;)

No time for much at the moment though - my life is full of tiles and plaster dust

Red

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Aug 6, 2008
glasgow
An excellent tutorial which started me on my curry voyage back when you posted it. Let me add some excellent links to add to this:

Some of the best video tutorials on the web - http://vimeo.com/mikestyne/videos

Also, the best curry forum on the web (mike styne goes by the name ChewyTikka) - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php

He has a pressure cooker method for the base which cuts down the time to make it dramatically with no loss of taste or quality.

Once again, thanks for starting me on my curry journey - Chicken Korma tonight!

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Great thread red!

Been making curry like this since being a student (in Bradford so spoilt when it comes to curry :). )

Check out the http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/ forums

The chaps there are as passionate about BIR (British Indian restaurant) curry as we are about bushcraft! A great online resource!

Cheers

LB

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
An excellent tutorial which started me on my curry voyage back when you posted it. Let me add some excellent links to add to this:

Some of the best video tutorials on the web - http://vimeo.com/mikestyne/videos

Also, the best curry forum on the web (mike styne goes by the name ChewyTikka) - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php

He has a pressure cooker method for the base which cuts down the time to make it dramatically with no loss of taste or quality.

Once again, thanks for starting me on my curry journey - Chicken Korma tonight!

Ha ha! Beaten to it! That'll teach me to skim read the last page! Lol

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Nice tutorial Red,I also have this book, it's very good although I tend to use variations from one called "you can cook Indian takeaway" because I was trying to avoid all of the ghee, I mainly buy the spices whole, toast them and then grind as per Red's tutorial, if you really want to cheat use those spice jars patak's (sp??) not the stir-in sauce jars obviously, I even saw Jamie Oliver use them in one of his shows....

I really don't like cardamom or cinnamon, and leaving them out does distract form the original or expected taste, unfortunately if you want the real thing you really have to go with the ghee, salt, sugar and all the other bad things, there is also a trick to cooking the onions for a little longer to break down the sugars I believe and that really brings out the taste, this is not burning them BTW, I will try and find the reference to it in my books

These are really worth a try, very rewarding to make yourself and a taste of home when you are a few thousand miles away from the local tandoori

Also I never found anything in India that compares to our proper Indian food (in the UK) and they just call it "food" anyway ;)

Dano

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE