Camo-tarp, which one to choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The camo Superfly works well ...

P1000253P.jpg

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
DD have stopped selling the multicam tarps now and last I heard don't have any plans to re-introduce the. At the moment they have either green or coyote tarps.

I've got the DD MC 3x3 tarp and love it (although would be great if it had the missing attachment points as it loses some functionality as a result).

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As promised, a lil' comparison:

DD 3x3 (~€ 35):
-Multicam:
pro’s: has camo, cheap, light (720g), large
con’s: repeating pattern, reduced number of attachment points
-Olive:
pro’s: cheap, light (720g), large
con’s: no camo

UKMCPRO (~35):
- Elite Evolution Basha:
pro’s: available in dpm/CE/multicam camo, cheap
con’s: 3x3 is heavy (1.1 kg), 2x3 acceptable weight (850g)

BCUSA tarps:
- UL Multicam 10x10 (feet, so 3x3m)
Pro’s: genuine multicam, light (540g)
Con’s: very expensive ($ 136, plus shipping, VAT & import cost from USA)
- Woodland (3x3m)
Pro’s: woodland camo, acceptable weight (850g)
Con’s: price ($ 73 plus shipping, VAT & import cost from USA)

Auscam hoochie:
pro’s: fairly cheap (50 AUSD)
con’s: small (2,85x1,85m), auscam, shipping, VAT & import cost costs a bundle

BCB
- Fox basha (~€65)
pro’s: camo woodland, light (700g)
con’s: only in 3x2m

Brand typeSize (m)Weight (g)Price (ex shipping, import & VAT when imported)Colours
DD 3x33x3720€ 35Multicam/Coyote/OD
UKMCPRO EEB 3x33x31100€ 40Multicam/DPM/CE
UKMCPRO EEB 3x23x2850€ 33Multicam/DPM/CE
BCUSA UL MTC3x3540$ 136Multicam (genuine)
BCUSA Woodland3x3850$ 73Woodland
Auscam hoochie2,85x1,85n/a50 AUSDAuscam
BCB Fox Basha3x2700€ 65DPM

It got a bit mingled but is still readable, I think ;) .
After looking at this, it seems a stupid idea to choose anything other than the DD tarp. Because it's cheap, light and large. Probably gonna do that, but more suggestions are always appreciated.

have you had a look at the tenth wonder ones? Not camo - but competitive.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wond...745948013&_sid=68853933&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Of all the ones I have looked at the DD one appears to be the best all rounder. I have used the army one and I thought it was fine if not a little heavy. I think they are 3mx 2.5m however I noticed that the stretcher handle that is in the middle of the tent (when you have it long ways) allows water in. This was on both my MTP one and my mates DDPM one, both of which were brought brand new. I'm not talking about gushing but my mate said he had an obvious wet patch on his sleeping bag.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup, the strip of handles are quite a thick bit of material, if on the outside and wet for long enough the water will soak through the stitching and drip onto you, where as if you have the single loop uper most it sheds the water of and is very unlikely to come through if at all.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
A Brit issue basha rigged on the diagonal will cover my dd hammock and give a good simple living space, I dont like the dd tarps as the maerial is horrid and sounds like crisp packets in anything above a breeze,

Ebay linky, no link to seller

The newer type basha I was issued began to perforate in areas where the webbing "strong" points are and I wasn't too impressed with it after a while.

I thought my bombproof 58 poncho (I've had since 85) would have been too small for use with a hammock but its fine for me.

My DD MC Tarp is good for larger coverage and the crisp bag rustle blends nicely with that of my foil lined moon bags.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE