Camouflage gear for the kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Ok ,yes I can see what you mean now. My mistake.
They are looking great. How many more do you have to make before you go and hide in the woods?
Well, tonight I cut out the material I needed for the next jacket. Unfortunately, despite there being very little waste, I have just about used up all the material (5m). I need to make another smock so I might have to buy some more material.

After the smocks have been made, I need to make four tarps; one each for the kids and one for my wife and I. I have 9m of waterproof material available....it should be enough.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Its beautiful and utilitarian, do you do commissions?
Erm. I'm not currently listed as a maker. However, I might be able to do a more detailed construction thread, if that's of interest? The most difficult bit is actually trying to scale the pattern to match the person. It's also the most difficult to explain.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
However, I might be able to do a more detailed construction thread, if that's of interest? The most difficult bit is actually trying to scale the pattern to match the person. It's also the most difficult to explain.

Yes please - be interested to see how it all goes together if you have the time.
Cheers
Phil

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Philster, the original article provides quite extensive notes but I'll try to do something with the next one I make from scratch. Unfortunately, I am half way through the second one, so it might be a while.....especially as I have run out of material.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Well, I doubled the cloth (it was a bit too thin) but when then used it effectively as a single layer, no liner. I didn't want it to be too warm for the summer....but it was also much easier to make.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Depending on size, you don't need that much. I stuff I used on Point North is less than £3 a metre (excluding VAT). The first smock, for a 7 year old, used less than 2 metres of material and 100m of polyester thread (£1.70) and a YKK zip. I reckon it costs about £10 in total. The second, for a 9 year old, has used just over 3 metres of material. I guess the total cost will be about £14.

I reckon, for an adult, you'll need 5 metres (max) of material.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I will also be making tarps in this thread. I put up my DD Hammocks XL for the first time yesterday in a quiet part of the forest. I discovered two things:

1) The XL tarp is too big. Far too big :)
2) solid green isn't sufficiently stealthy for my needs.

I think I'm going to have to sell on the XL.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Well, the hood for the second smock is finished. I've added some additional features to this one. There's a longer front to the hood. It has a para cord draw string about the "face" of the hood, with button holes through which the draw string passes. I've also added velcro volume adjuster at the back of the hood.

The next step will be to add the 1/4 zip opener and sew up the arms. I'm going to add a draw string around the waist and some velcro cuff adjusters, both new features for this smock (over the first version). I might add a couple of pockets. I then need to sew up the sides, sew on the collar and hood and it'll be done.

Here's some photos :)

16412841424_8a5dc53eeb_c.jpg

Draw strings on hood

17035271035_733f94ca19_c.jpg

Button hole exit for drawstring

16827862237_3731d07d7d_c.jpg

Hood volume adjuster

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Well, I managed to make a total mess of the second smock :( It was massively too big and my attempts to make it smaller resulted in me going too far. I have ordered some new material and have gone for something a bit heavier to avoid the need for doubling up the material. Clicky

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
So, the new material arrived last week. I started sewing up the smock for daughter number 2 yesterday. The material is a ripstop poly cotton, with some water resistance. It's digital UCP. Not sure it's the best camouflage pattern available but much cheaper than more modern patterns. So far, this smock is going quite well but there's still plenty of opportunities to make a mess of it :)

Back, Yoke and Sleeves (back piece)
17006184799_b57c4c7240_c.jpg

Front with Sleeves (front piece) attached.
17006181769_6983d48896_c.jpg

Back with Yoke and Sleeves (back piece) attached.
17191750241_54f3cdb82f_c.jpg

Hmm. the neck hole is looking a bit big.

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
WOW - great stuff you did there - it looks better than the commercial ones!
I can't wait to see the urban cammo one done.

All the best,
Bogdan
Thanks Bogdan. Unfortunately, close inspection reveals its short comings. However, I hope to get better with more practice. :)

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
The two halves of the smock have been sewn together and the arms cut to length and cuffed. The collar has been sewn on and a zip has been put into the front, with a little triangle of reinforcing paced at the bottom of the zip.

17008658137_4051418992_c.jpg

Just need to make the hood and attach it just below the collar and I think the smock also needs a drawstring around the waist. Then it will be done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE