Camouflage gear for the kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
In a previous post (started by someone else) I've bemoaned the lack of opportunities in the New Forest to do simple things like put up a tarp and light a small fire to heat some water or maybe cook some food. Well, I may have found somewhere :). I left the family in this secret place and scouted around to assess how secluded the place is and whether we could be seen. Unfortunately, while it is well hidden, the kids high visibility waterproofs can be seen a mile away. Here's a photo to illustrate the problem (taken elsewhere in the forest).

16272542423_068f0714a8_c.jpg

My oldest and youngest can be easily seen while I am quite hidden in my Flecktarn parka and would be difficult to see at all if it was not for the map case around my neck.

I had a bit of a look around on the web to try and find some half decent camo jackets for them and failed. Clearly, one does not see army surplus for the under tens and I didn't like the new stuff that is out there. So, the plan is to make them each a smock with hood from scratch. I don't sew much but, then again, how hard can it be?

I've ordered 5 metres material from Point North as well as some zips and velcro. I'm planning to use their waterproofs as a pattern and adapt them to suit our needs, as I go. The smocks will be unlined and very basic.

I've also ordered some of this to make three small tarps (1.8m x 1.8m), along with some webbing.

This will probably end in disaster but, hopefully, I'll learn something along the way.

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I'm already thinking that maybe I've got the wrong material for the smocks. It is described as modacrylic nylon. I'm thinking that this will rustle, so not be suitable.

Therefore, I've asked Point North if they can change my order for this stuff instead Clicky.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had a junk, pale brown jacket. Bought a roll of what we call cut-leaf ground blind material. The cut-away leaf pattern is such that the whole thing can be cut into 12" strips.
Scissors and a hot-glue gun and away I went. All pockets and zippers still functional.
I suggest that you consider making some sort of camo shell to fit over, rather than replace, their rainproofs.
Shortly before the picture was taken, a woodpecker opened up on a standing dead tree trunk, about 2' above my head.
I'm the guy on the home page with the Merriam's wild turkey.

http://www.kettleriverguides.com/

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I had a junk, pale brown jacket. Bought a roll of what we call cut-leaf ground blind material. The cut-away leaf pattern is such that the whole thing can be cut into 12" strips.
Scissors and a hot-glue gun and away I went. All pockets and zippers still functional.
I suggest that you consider making some sort of camo shell to fit over, rather than replace, their rainproofs.
Shortly before the picture was taken, a woodpecker opened up on a standing dead tree trunk, about 2' above my head.
I'm the guy on the home page with the Merriam's wild turkey.

http://www.kettleriverguides.com/
That's a neat idea. However, I'm keen to try a make something from sratch.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
More power to you = sewing machines scare the Hello out of me. I've made up camo coats (dark gray) with break-up streaks of acrylic paints.
My biggest mistake was to use any white at all.
I have a complete coat and pants in NatGear Snow camo. They would make a great pattern set.
I've been told that out in the middle of an open snow-covered pea field, you can't see me.
Until a) a very large chunk of snowy pea vine gets up and walks away or b) you find the black barrel of my 3.5" x 12ga Benelli Nova shotgun.

In any event, I'd love to see what you make.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The problem with most "art-work" camo is it goes into a dark blob at a distance. More lighter mid-base tone and fewer leaves and twigs makes it far harder to
interpret the wearer's outline. Just as it's harder and harder to distinguish twigs and leaves at a distance.
Quick!!!!! What color is a grouse?

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
The problem with most "art-work" camo is it goes into a dark blob at a distance. More lighter mid-base tone and fewer leaves and twigs makes it far harder to
interpret the wearer's outline. Just as it's harder and harder to distinguish twigs and leaves at a distance.
Quick!!!!! What color is a grouse?

Insel: that's exactly my point: the camo pattern(?) isn't anything recognizable as "a leaf" or "a branch."

That's fair enough Robson, but I was merely offering an outfitter who does a relatively cheap Camo jacket.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Then it's really a bargain: price and pattern. Good for them.

Lots of big game hunting here in the central interior of British Columbia. Camo is an issue as the critters first see you at some distance.
They spook so easily with anything out of place in their familiar landscape or a hard, sharp spark of reflected light. You have to look "dull."
Consequently, blinds break up your outline, such as the cut-leaf material that I like to re-purpose. Sit still.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
It's a pity I can't find a free pattern for a smock or snow parka or something. I'm amazed the web isn't chock-a-block with free patterns from enthusiastic amateurs.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Looks like the stuff will be arriving from Point North tomorrow. They've changed the order, so I'll soon find out if I made a boob on the fabric.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...dont take this the wrong way....but i see you said below ''keen to make something from scratch''

surely that should include the template. personally i think thats the most important part of making anything (and often the hardest)...it should be personal, well executed and thought out...that way youll feel maximum pleasure, rather than copying someone elses work.

some of the templates i use for my products have been re-drawn/altered half a dozen times over 4 years until i'm happy with them.

but theyre mine....and therefore what comes from them is mine....and the result is a deep satisfaction. i very rarely even look at other peoples stuff for fear that it will influence me too much and i certainly never copy....and if i do its only to aid me through a specific problem or to help inspire me to further thought.

regards,

sonni

It's a pity I can't find a free pattern for a smock or snow parka or something. I'm amazed the web isn't chock-a-block with free patterns from enthusiastic amateurs.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE