Camouflage gear for the kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I don't have a problem using a pattern and I've noticed a number of folk on this forum have made garments using patterns developed by others. I suspect most will feel that they started from scratch with a roll of fabric (or blanket) and some thread. But yes, I take your point.

Personally, I'm not worried about being influenced by others. If I was I wouldn't be on this forum. After all, it's only plagiarism if you try and pass off someone's design or idea as your own.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Here's a possible design I can adapt Clicky. Has anyone had a go at this pattern?

Seems the guy has a sense of humour. Should have had Elvis modelling the smock too.

jv6-70.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
The material has arrived. Excellent service from Point North, considering I only placed the order on Sunday.

Initial thoughts are that the PU coated material for the tarps looks OK. The material for the smocks seems a little thin (95 gsm). The zips are probably too short but the velcro looks alright. The seam sealing tape looks like it is not compatible with the tarp material.

So, all in all, it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
OK. 3.5 hours later, the pattern has been cut out. Much more difficult than I expected....as the measurements on the the website (link above) weren't quite right when printed out. So, lots of measuring, remeasuring, translating the printing measurements into "real world" measurements and then adjusting them to the right size. Phew! That's a lot of measuring/maths. I'll take a photo of the templates tomorrow.

The next step will be to mock up a test garment, using a old sheet, to test for goodness of fit. :)

I am hoping that I can resize the templates for each child. Inconveniently, they're all different sizes!

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol...told ya the templates the hard bit:p...sounds like youre having fun, looking forward to seeing the finished results....good stuff!

regards,

s

OK. 3.5 hours later, the pattern has been cut out. Much more difficult than I expected....as the measurements on the the website (link above) weren't quite right when printed out. So, lots of measuring, remeasuring, translating the printing measurements into "real world" measurements and then adjusting them to the right size. Phew! That's a lot of measuring/maths. I'll take a photo of the templates tomorrow.

The next step will be to mock up a test garment, using a old sheet, to test for goodness of fit. :)

I am hoping that I can resize the templates for each child. Inconveniently, they're all different sizes!

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Here's the templates..

16930713305_1f3858eb9e_c.jpg

From the left - Front (half), Back (half), Collar, Yoke (half).

16904787516_10124b9980_c.jpg

From the right - Sleeve Back, Sleeve Front and then back to the Yoke.

I was hoping to cut out and staple up a mock version out of old sheets tonight (to test the templates) but other things got in the way. Maybe tomorrow?

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Hmm. Had some "fun" knocking up the prototype. Decided to sew it (rather than staple) to get some practice sewing. It looks wrong round the neck line somehow. The zip was an swine and we managed to mess up some of the seams. Still, we'll try it on the youngest Bounder tomorrow and see how it fits.

16320583373_bbfdeb6924_c.jpg

Note bagginess round neckline and across shoulders :(

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Well, I've adapted the pattern a little (brave?). I have removed the need to have separate arm templates, thus avoiding some unnecessary stitching (to my simple mind). I've changed the shape of the remaining panels too. Now, all I have is three templates; one for the front & back, one for the yoke and one for the collar/hood (still to do).

Because the material was a little thinner than I expected, I've added a second layer. This isn't a liner as such, it's just a doubling of the fabric.

The smock is just about done except for the collar/hood. There have been some issues along the way and it's taken a little longer than I would have expected. I'll post some pictures later.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
So, here are the two templates needed to make up the body of the jacket.

16360504104_cc0c4e28c2_c.jpg

Cutting out the material using the main body template. The material is doubled.

16795414420_20b1cee89e_c.jpg

Here's the smock all sewn up. Getting the collar on was definitely the most challenging part of the construction so far.

16360499524_3e258e8e22_c.jpg

Turns out attaching the hood was just as bad as the collar.

16956922586_847f6176ec_c.jpg

The end result isn't half bad. It took a fair bit of time to make, although most of the time was spent thinking about how to do it! The next one should be a bit quicker to make.

I'll post a picture later of the smock being modeled by Smallest Bounder.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Excellent, Thankfully my kids don't need me to make their clothes... Otherwise they would be wearing a bin bag with my skills.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
They look good, I was just looking back at your patterns and the white `mock smock`, I may be wrong but the back section looks to long which may be why the neck line on the mock-up looks `baggy`.
Usually the seams go across the top of the shoulders and the arm seam usually goes down the length of the arm underneath.
Having said that I think yours look good and I bet your juniors are pleased with them.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

birchwood - the yoke approach means (on this pattern at any rate) that there isn't a seam along the top of the sleeve. Instead, there's one front and back seam and one seam along the bottom of each arm. I think the following pictures will illustrate this point. The jacket is being modeled by the Jemima Bounder.

16991220502_c8ab680f78_c.jpg

16804868508_56efc6cebe_c.jpg

The hood looks a bit short (front to back) because she has her hair in a bun. She loves the smock and hasn't taken it off all day!. I doubt whether it will last the week :)

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Alreetmiowdmuka - the material isn't waterproof. It's like a synthetic cotton. I think I provided a link to the material somewhere else in the thread. Just in case I didn't, here it is again Clicky.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
That sir, is brilliant! JWD! I wish I could come up with something like that.
Many thanks. Strictly speaking, I didn't come up with the design. I lifted if from here and added minor modifications. I guess a yoked shirt (which is what it is) is hardly novel, but nonetheless, I do need to give credit where it's due.

The difficult bit (for me) was taking a design for a 6 foot man and adapting it to a 3.5 foot child.

I now need to make a smock for the next child in line. She's a bit bigger. Further changes have been made to the design to adapt it for our needs and make it easier to put together.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Ok ,yes I can see what you mean now. My mistake.
They are looking great. How many more do you have to make before you go and hide in the woods?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE