Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi Guys, LOL I was the Greenivercity "Bushcraft guy" in 2013!
it's sad, but to be honest it's not a big surprise it's stopping, it was really weirdly organised.
When I taught with them I worked:via "Greenbackyard", For "Greeniversity", aka "DIY Peterborough", for "Peterborough City College":confused: (All are mentioned on the picture below).

7065469_orig.png

:yelrotflmBTW, It sounds really good but I had no contact at all with the City College whatsoever.

The courses I was asked to do (I was told) were aimed at offering free "hands on" (non-academic?) courses to the unemployed, because of this all the activities were done at weird times (like the one advertised below) Monday's mid-morning....so that's most of the rest of the population unable to attend even if they wanted to :confused: Friday afternoon or a weekend event would have had the steady flow of people!

I got paid well for the 3 events I did, but because of the weird timing only a few unemployed people actually came to each event. Nice people though.
I notice they are still doing some of the the courses at similar odd times that only unemployed or shiftworkers could attend, why would they do that? it's beyond me :dunno:

anyway, I have more teaching gear than I did then, I'm still about and looking forward to meeting some of you guys, I can easily get to March and the campsite!
I recognise most of the Quadbike journey, infact I actually lived in one of the houses you drove past on the video! :dancer:

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Shame its all finishing. Spent some quality time at Bretton with my Grandsons.
Now I'm sort of unemployed maybe I should think of starting something up. already doing woodworking, blacksmithing and concrete planter making as a hobby

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Kev, if you were to start something up. I would be interested in my 12 year old lad attending on a regular basis. We decided to homeschool him at the beginning of his year. Unfortunately, many of the homeschool activities within 20 miles are geared up for the younger kids.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Kev, if you were to start something up. I would be interested in my 12 year old lad attending on a regular basis. We decided to homeschool him at the beginning of his year. Unfortunately, many of the homeschool activities within 20 miles are geared up for the younger kids.
BTW...you probably know I'm a fully qualified school Maths and ICT teacher as well

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'd be very happy to join you guys if you are interested in starting a fenns skills group, (I live about 10 miles from Kev) I'd love to learn basic blacksmithing! I've started to teach a whole load of slightly different subjects and activities along with bushcraft to see if theres an interest. I also went to a couple of the Bretton events, I taught Bushcraft there twice and once in the grounds of the community center the other side of the footpath, I think, it was nice but the access was awful, it was really difficult to set up my gear there.
I think I did an office "away day" for PECT there. the shame was it was a long way I didn't know the woods.
They had a skill/training bartering system which sounded good but was a bit complex and it seemed you had to be very dedicated for it to work, I could never use it because of the travelcost and family commitments, shame really, could have been good.
There was aparently a "survival" guy that did sessions but I never met him, just wondering if he is on BCUK?

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I'd be very happy to join you guys if you are interested in starting a fenns skills group, (I live about 10 miles from Kev) I'd love to learn basic blacksmithing! I've started to teach a whole load of slightly different subjects and activities along with bushcraft to see if theres an interest. I also went to a couple of the Bretton events, I taught Bushcraft there twice and once in the grounds of the community center the other side of the footpath, I think, it was nice but the access was awful, it was really difficult to set up my gear there.
I think I did an office "away day" for PECT there. the shame was it was a long way I didn't know the woods.
They had a skill/training bartering system which sounded good but was a bit complex and it seemed you had to be very dedicated for it to work, I could never use it because of the travelcost and family commitments, shame really, could have been good.
There was aparently a "survival" guy that did sessions but I never met him, just wondering if he is on BCUK?

Sounds good. I could assist Bushy stuff and do Blacksmithing and basic carpentry

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I've just booked. £10 refundable off new book. 1 hour talk followed by book signing

[h=1]Ray Mears in Ely[/h][h=3]Thursday 24th November[/h]
  • Venue The Octagon, Ely Cathedral, CB7 4DL
  • Doors open 6.45pm
  • Start time 7.30pm
Dear Kev,

Thank you for your email. Ray Mears is doing an event with us in the Cathedral (under the Octagon!) on 24th November. The tickets are sold by us and the event is published on our website here. He will be talking for an hour, and then he will be signing copies of the book afterwards. You can buy tickets via the website link above.

I do hope this helps. Do please give us a shout if you have any more questions.

Best wishes,
Rebecca

Topping & Company Booksellers of Ely

9 High Street
Ely
Cambridgeshire
CB7 4LJ

Telephone: (01353) 645005
Visit our website | Twitter | Facebook

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I've just booked. £10 refundable off new book. 1 hour talk followed by book signing

[h=1]Ray Mears in Ely[/h][h=3]Thursday 24th November[/h]
  • Venue The Octagon, Ely Cathedral, CB7 4DL
  • Doors open 6.45pm
  • Start time 7.30pm

I took my lad along to see Ray last night. What I should have done was looked at your profile kev. I was second guessing who you may be in the crowd. But alas, like ships in the night and all that. We really enjoyed the night. I hope it inspires my lad to spend less time on computer games. Me and my lad have long blonde-ish hair. I have a long rats tail beard. My lads hair was in a plait that goes down to his ****.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I took my lad along to see Ray last night. What I should have done was looked at your profile kev. I was second guessing who you may be in the crowd. But alas, like ships in the night and all that. We really enjoyed the night. I hope it inspires my lad to spend less time on computer games. Me and my lad have long blonde-ish hair. I have a long rats tail beard. My lads hair was in a plait that goes down to his ****.
I was beside the 1st monitor on the left. Big bloke, white beard and a red walking stick

15192544_1508743125809979_9203806635653991543_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2016
Ely
I saw you there Whittler Kev. Think I overheard you telling someone in the signing queue about the differences in a DC3 and a DC4?
Had a look at your blog, great that you do the stuff for reduced mobility - I have difficulty with my wrists and hands and find some things incredibly frustrating.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I saw you there Whittler Kev. Think I overheard you telling someone in the signing queue about the differences in a DC3 and a DC4?
Had a look at your blog, great that you do the stuff for reduced mobility - I have difficulty with my wrists and hands and find some things incredibly frustrating.
Yo dude. Yep that was me - she works with primary schools and hadn't mastered sharpening yet.
Thanks for looking at the blog....I must put some new content on it. Turning on a lathe at the mo as struggling to get out and about (haven't been to work for 9 months). I've got access to 5 acres of private wood and looking at using some council woods as well hopefully than can be driven too and easily walked in to (the 5 acres mean crossing a dyke at the mo. Don't forget Facebooks Cambridgeshire Bushcraft group as well as several members are in your area :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE