Calling Trangia Addicts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I don't know if I'd call myself a Trangia Addict per say, but I am without a doubt a Trangia convert. Even with the limitations that are inherent to meth stoves I feel that their advantages far outweigh any drawbacks.

So, this is a photo of my 28 "Mini" Trangia. I've modded it a bit by adding a cut down MSR windscreen that has ventilation holes poked in the bottom and exactly a one inch space between the bottom of the aluminum pot and the top of the screen. The paperclip helping to hold it together also comes in handy as ***** to poke any deposits that may clog the burner. As well, I have a small cork bar coaster (you can't see it in the photo) that I use to insulate the burner and potstand from the cold ground. While it doesn't melt snow very well, this little guy is without a doubt the best three season stove I've ever used.

Cheers,

Adam

Trangia.jpg

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok i got all kinds of stoves i am trying to get a set up for my car so i can have a cup or eat when the wife get groceries i dont go in just stay out in the car or take a walk. Now i did a bench test with Trangia & a Jiffy Heat. Both had 1/2 oz. alcohol.Both kettle same size and alum. &16 oz.water. Trangia burn time 8 min. water 211 F. Jiffy Heat burn time 5 min. water189 F.

Gailainne

Life Member
I didnt want to start a new thread to ask this question, and trangia addicts I thought would be the best place to ask :D

I just got a new military trangia, set it up yesterday, filled it up with meths as per instructions, cover on and lit, 10 mins later the jets still have'nt lit, I have a st st one from Andrew, the jets light almost immediately, tho the holes are bigger in diameter.
I let it cool down checked the jets were clear, and tried again, no joy !, I tried again this morning, still nothing, I even resorted to heating the side with a turbo lighter, nadda. So any :22: brainiac out there with a solution ?

Stephen

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Could be on them type there is a wick inside them if it got wet with water it will not light put in oven on low heat let it dry 1 hour or so then let cool try again

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Gailainne said:
I didnt want to start a new thread to ask this question, and trangia addicts I thought would be the best place to ask :D

I just got a new military trangia, set it up yesterday, filled it up with meths as per instructions, cover on and lit, 10 mins later the jets still have'nt lit, I have a st st one from Andrew, the jets light almost immediately, tho the holes are bigger in diameter.
I let it cool down checked the jets were clear, and tried again, no joy !, I tried again this morning, still nothing, I even resorted to heating the side with a turbo lighter, nadda. So any :22: brainiac out there with a solution ?

Stephen

I have the same burner. If you look inside it has a woven wick. If you fill it right up to the top, after maybe ten secs, it drops quickly in level, that's when the wick has soaked up. Maybe try filing up and wait a good 30secs.

Nick

Gailainne

Life Member
Thanks for the replys guys, but I do get the centre to fire up, I had it alight for more than 10 mins, it was the jets that did'nt

CIMG0024.jpg

Here's all 3 I was testing

CIMG0016.jpg

Even the home made one fired up, the StSt one from Andrew had the jets going very quickly.

Even if the wick (havent seen one) was soaking wet, which I cant imagine why, after 10 mins burn time the casing was hot, as you can see, why arent the jets burning ?

Stephen

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Check way down in the bottom there should be crack to let the alcohol to the outside wick poke it with a with something

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Gailainne try cleaning all the jets with a needle and make sure the meths is being soaked up when you fill the burner,you could also put it on your cooker hob to super heat charge it just to get it started then hopefully it should work as normal after that.

Footzo

Jan 17, 2007
UK
Hi All,

I've just purchased a 'Highlander' trangia clone - just the burner. It was only 4 quid odd and I'm interested in building a set up around a nalgene and alpkit Ti mug.
I've got some superb aluminium sheet which is easily strong enough to make a stand and windshield in one, but:

The burner (which only just turned up in the post today and is sitting on my desk) appears to have some wicking right up to the jet holes.

Is that right? One or two of the holes appear to be almost 'blocked' with the stuff.

I imagined that the channel from the base to the jet holes would be clear. I'm off now to buy some meths and give it a go.

What do you think - is it a case of 'buy cheap buy twice' as my Nan used to say :(

Cheers - Simon.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Doesn't sound too bad Simon, it doesn't usually come right up to the holes, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Only one way to find out.....

Footzo

Jan 17, 2007
UK
Scots_Charles_River said:
Where did you get it ? Link ?

TA

Nick

It's this one:

Highlander CP60

I got it off ebay with some DEET and permethrin ready for the highlands.
I've seen them online in a few places but with the combined postage and price of the midge/tick stuff this seemed like the best place.

Gailainne

Life Member
Footzo

Does it come with a cap and a simmer ring ?, reason I'm asking is, the pic on the site shows a burner with a (what I perceive to be) simmer ring. If it does'nt have a cap, you'll have to empty the burner each time, and have somewhere (ziploc) to stop it dripping. If it has a cap cool, ignore me :D

Stephen

Footzo

Jan 17, 2007
UK
Footzo

Does it come with a cap and a simmer ring ?, reason I'm asking is, the pic on the site shows a burner with a (what I perceive to be) simmer ring. If it does'nt have a cap, you'll have to empty the burner each time, and have somewhere (ziploc) to stop it dripping. If it has a cap cool, ignore me :D

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Yes it's got the screw cap - the only difference I can see is the 'tab' on the adjustable plate isn't there so you rotate it by surface pressure alone.

I still can't quite work out how to extinguish it but I'll try it ourt over the wekend.
I want to try it at dusk to get a good idea of the flame pattern. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Cheers - Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE