Calling hammock users

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimmyh

Mar 7, 2007
Merseyside
I am seriously considering buying a hennessy hammock expedition this weekend and going somewhere woodlike not to far away next weekend (near Liverpool). I have never used a hammock system so, would a reindeer hide, roll mat, sleeping bag and good warm clothing be enough or do I really need a underblanket at this time of year?. I can just imagine heading back to my van, sticking the heater on and kipping there the night then lying to my mates that i had a wonderfully bushcrafty time.
I would really appreciate any advise.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The reindeer hide and roll mat should be just fine. I have a number of friends who swear by the reindeer skins and it makes sense that they would conform to the shape of a hammock better than a rectangular mat.

For my own Hennessey I have used several arrangements, their own under quilt, a 3/4 length Thermarest (only part inflated), a large Ridgerest that has been trimmed to my height and a coffin shape, and various pieces of foam and mylar. The Undercover and Ridgerest both worked well. The 3/4 length mat left my feet cold. Cold feet are a common problem because you tend to sleep with your feet slightly higher, so circulation won't be so good, with undercovers, it is also very easy for an airspace to exist at the foot end. The 3/4 length mat was improved by using a few feet of cheap roll mat foam as an extender.

On clothes. Don't wear socks and keep the what you wear on your lower body to a minimum, no more than a thin base layer, if your sleeping bag is rated for winter. It is the same thing you find with gloves vs. mittens. If your feet and legs can share heat with one another you will stay warmer than if you insulate them from each other. The upper body is a little more tricky. I invariably wear a light fleece or light wool jumper and T-shirt except for high summer. I just find it easier to manage my temperature like that. I also use a thin wool or fleece hat and wool scarf. The hat could be done away with if you cinch the top of your bag over your head, but the scarf is hard to beat. I wrap it across my face and nose and breath through it. The outer surface can become soaked with condensation but because it is wool, my nose stays warm, and I get to breath pre-warmed, moist, air. I do not inadvertantly stick my nose in my bag to keep it warm, so making my bag wet.

You can shove any outer garments which you will want in the morning into a stuff sack and have them in the hammock with you, they keep warmer and are easy to find. Boots can have thier laces crossed and tied to the ridgeline and be left to dangle outside at the far end of the velcro opening. This keeps them easy to find, and out of the coldest, dampest air lying near the ground.

If you decide to go for it, best of luck!

I've been using a hammock for some time now and must say that at any time of year, without wrap around insulation you will feel very cold/chilly in your hammock. I've got both an MK hammock and a Paradise hammock (which is longer and wider) and initially used only a therma rest (full length) in it and yeagh it was ok as long as my body was on it however my sides were cold. I then bought an underblanket and wow...hammocking with one of these will transform your experience from a mediocre nights sleep to amazing comfort/warmth with no cold spots. Using an underblanket with a sleeping bag used as top quilt (unzip your sleeping bag and leave a bucket for your feet) and wear a hat/balaclava if it's cold and you will be amazed. You'll never go back to sleeping on the ground in a hurry.

Good luck.

WS

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I am seriously considering buying a hennessy hammock expedition this weekend and going somewhere woodlike not to far away next weekend (near Liverpool). I have never used a hammock system so, would a reindeer hide, roll mat, sleeping bag and good warm clothing be enough or do I really need a underblanket at this time of year?. I can just imagine heading back to my van, sticking the heater on and kipping there the night then lying to my mates that i had a wonderfully bushcrafty time.
I would really appreciate any advise.

If you have'nt purchased one yet consider a DD hammock and tarp its a great entry level system for not much money I usually light a campfire with reflector about 4ft away that keeps me snug during the night it gets really cold about 2-3 am so it is essential that your comfortable by then hope you have a good night

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Having not used a roll mat in a hammock (but I often used a reindeer hide) I don't know how effective it would be. I like to use a homemade all encompassing "Pod" type insulation which is great in this recent weather, last time I was out was thursday 2nd when the snow was forecast;)

For the price of a hennesy, you could get a cheaper hammock and an under blanket which might be another way of spending your money.

For what its worth, it is likely to take several trips out to find the most comfortable method of setting and sleeping in your new purchase.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would go with Woodstocks advice (get a DD hammock), I have been using homemade hammocks for many years (10+) see the front page DIY article I wrote.
Two years ago I got a DD, the design is the same as the article I wrote, I know lots of people who use them and really like them, I know several people who have had the Henneseys and not liked them.
Use a sleeping mat or themarest INSIDE your bag (stops it shifting during the night). As for under blankets, I have been experimenting with one I made and have to say I'm realy impressed with the idea, I was out before christmas for a few nights and found myself only needing my basic warm kit for most of the night. I think come the warmer months that is all I will use and leave the sleeping bag at home.
Hope this helps.
Neil

jimmyh

Mar 7, 2007
Merseyside
Tanks everyone great advise as usual (I've been a reader for ages). I was set on buying the HH rather than the DD as the materials, build quality, and asym lying position seems better although that's only from what i can see on the brief youtube clips. You all have more experience than me so now I'm torn between the two. I will be going next weekend with one or the other, just many more hours of trolling the net with indecision. I would welcome any more opinions on both systems or any other for that matter. Cheers folks.

Jimmy H.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The HH is a great hammock there's no doubt, but for more or less the same money you could get a DD and a BCUK designed underblanket (from these guys ... http://www.woodlandedge.co.uk ) and have possibly the best all-season system for the money. Again, there are a lot of differing opinions, I only offer mine. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will get hooked on hammocking like so many here :D

Edit: I was out in Glen Coe in the wind and snow in mine last week, was so toasty I had to strip down to my baselayer and thin socks to sleep, even though temps were below freezing and windchill was impressive.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
How is the DD size-wise? I'm 6'2" and fairly large build..

I'm liking the sound of a hammock for wild camping (I have a Hilleberg Akto for campsites), and also to free me from the tyranny of sleeping bags (see large build above - also I'm allergic to down, so I have to go with synthetics - which obviously don't pack down so well :( )

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Price is right at the bottom of the page, £69.95 + £6.95 P&P, a bit pricey but worth every penny IMO.

(No connection to seller BTW just a happy customer)

Edit - UKHaiku: I'm 6'1 and a shaving or two and 14 - 15st and my 2006 DD is long and strong enough for me. Got a 2008 DD Travel on order with the group buy which I think may be a tiny bit longer..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE