Calling British Red

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Hoping you can help. Just got myself a nice Canon 450D. been having a go with macro settings, when i get close up the pic seems clear but when i take it. And view it blown up on pc, it seems it has focused just in front of the target. ( for instance a woodlice) im finding the wood surface just in front of the woodlice is crystal clear but the woodlice is slightly out of focus. Can you help. Would love some tips. Just using the standard lense for now. Bought a book for the 400 as i couldnt find one for the 450, but they look to be very similar.. Cheers
Alan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Alan,

Several thoughts spring to mind. Firstly, make sure that you are using only one auto focus point not all 11 - it inevitably grabs the wrong thing. Second, explore using an aperture priority setting AV to improve depth of field.

Have you tried those two things already?

Red

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Alan,

Several thoughts spring to mind. Firstly, make sure that you are using only one auto focus point not all 11 - it inevitably grabs the wrong thing. Second, explore using an aperture priority setting AV to improve depth of field.

Have you tried those two things already?

Red

No i had it set to use all focus points, So does it matter which focus point i use? the centre for instance, or do i cahnge it to suit the angle of the shot?
And a no to the second one as well, how does one go about that :confused:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is a function (accesible with one of the two top buttons on the right on the 400D) whereby you can select a single autofocus point (whichever one you want). That way you make sure it locks onto the right thing to focus (e.g. the head of the woodlouse). This doesn't work in full auto - if you put it into "P" mode though it will.

In Av mode (Aperture priority) you can control the "depth of field" (how much is in focus) depends on fstop. A high f number brings a wider range in focus (but decreases the light getting in so that you need a longer exposure).

If you put the camera in Av mode and select a high f number, use the lowest zoom you can you will get more in focus

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The longer exposure is set automatically. Basically the camera has four modes

Full auto (the green one). Pretty much point and click.

Aperture Priority - Av - you set the aperture you want and it works out the exposure. Handy for macro work and landscapes but beware it giving you a long exposure and "shake"

Shutter priority - Tv - you set the exposure you want and it works out the aperture. Handy for fast moving things like sports or animals / birds. Depth of field is hit and miss though. Also you can get slow exposures and interesting effects with flowing water etc. if you have a tripod (see Waylands stuff)

Full manual control - when you really know what you are doing you can set both the aperture and shutter speed.

You can also control the "ISO" number. Lower ISO numbers give sharp images with less "grain" but need a longer exposure. Higher ones let you get good low light shots without "shake" but fo egt "grainy".

Hope that helps a bit?

Red

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Somehow i manged to delete my last post.
This helps alot. Just been outside, and had a play, still grainy and a bit out of focus.
I have been trying to set both manually, setting one in AV and the other in TV,
Fstop was 25 and iso was 100 plus its very dull and overcast here, think maybe i should just set one and let the camera adjust acordingly. Also with just buying the camera and being skint. (would love a macro lense) got these.
ee2c_1.JPG

Suitable for Canon 450D, 500D, 1000D with EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5 - 5.6 or EF 28-90mm f/3,5-5,6 USM or EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Lens and any Camera 35mm SLR or Digital with either a 58mm Ø lens Adapter or any Lens with a 58mm Ø filter thread.

Close-up set consists of +1 lens, +2 lens, +4 lens, +10 Macro lens.
# High Quality Optical Glass
# Brand New and Boxed

These close up lenses enable you to get much closer than the minimum focus of a standard camera lens - mere inches from the subject!

The Close-up Lens Set is for taking pictures of flowers, small collectibles, coins and stamps, insects, small creatures, or anything small that requires up-close detail. Each close up lens maintains resolution and picture clarity while magnifying image size. The set includes four lenses: +1, +2, +4 and +10 Macro. They can also be stacked to create +3, +5, +6, +7 and so on, power and they come in a fold-out case. Use the lenses individually or in any combination.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting,

The second one illustrates Depth of Field perfectly. See how sharp the fornt is compared to the back? Thats due to depth of field. The front is focussed - and, with those settings, thats as good as it gets!

They are damn good shots on a small subject.

To get them all in focus try shooting from above. All the legs will then be roughly the same distance from the lens

The depth of field on even a good macro lens can be tiny - less than 1mm in extreme circumstances!

Macro photography is HARD. My mate who has a really good 100mm canon EFS macro curses it because he can rearely get all the points in focus.

Stick with it - you are doing well!

Red

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I think the images Spooney are getting better and better (not that I am an authority on the subject) The Complete Dummies range of books do one on the 450d its called the rebel xi which is what the yanks call the 450d. Good start to the 450d which Is where I am at.
Where did you get the extension tubes/ lenses from?
Something I would like to have a go at myself.
Dave

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
I think the images Spooney are getting better and better (not that I am an authority on the subject) The Complete Dummies range of books do one on the 450d its called the rebel xi which is what the yanks call the 450d. Good start to the 450d which Is where I am at.
Where did you get the extension tubes/ lenses from?
Something I would like to have a go at myself.
Dave

Thanks will have a look for that book,
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Macroworld-Fast-Easy__W0QQ_armrsZ1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Close-U...h=item350187508824&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Slightly scary stuff as you need to be on top of the technology to get it to sit up and dance. I used to do my macro with a 50mm lens reversed on my standard lens on a manual SLR. On the other hand if I could afford a DSLR I would jump at it!

Generally speaking with small critters such as the flies and wasps, if you can get the eyes in sharp focus the human eye accepts that and is happy to have the rest fade out of the plane of focus.

Cheers,
Steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah... therein lies the problem

That was taken at 105mm with a compact camera in macro mode (no macro lens)

Shot in bright sun and nice and square on to the camera (so no part is in a different depth of field)

Sometimes, you just get lucky!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE