Calling British Red

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
I'm new here so forgive me for jumping straight in feet first. Just couldn't resist.

I suggest the original poster moves back a tad from his subject, even if it means using a weaker close-up filter. It will give better depth of field. The main problem is light and this is a good way to get round it with what's available. I'd also use manual focusing.

Also, if the camera has a depth of field/stop down button, it should be used to learn what different apertures, at different camera to subject distance, using different lenses and close-up filters actually do - all using the viewfinder. A very bright day is best to do this effectively and in my experience it's one of the fastest ways to learn.

While I'm naturally reluctant to spend money to solve problems (being skint actually helped my technique - along with library books) a tripod would be quite useful here - preferably one that opens out low. Doesn't have to be fancy - a budget one will be perfect. Also, home-made light diffusers/reflectors, etc are invaluable and cost pennies - but one thing at a time I suppose.

Just my thoughts.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
I'm new here so forgive me for jumping straight in feet first. Just couldn't resist.

I suggest the original poster moves back a tad from his subject, even if it means using a weaker close-up filter. It will give better depth of field. The main problem is light and this is a good way to get round it with what's available. I'd also use manual focusing.

Also, if the camera has a depth of field/stop down button, it should be used to learn what different apertures, at different camera to subject distance, using different lenses and close-up filters actually do - all using the viewfinder. A very bright day is best to do this effectively and in my experience it's one of the fastest ways to learn.

While I'm naturally reluctant to spend money to solve problems (being skint actually helped my technique - along with library books) a tripod would be quite useful here - preferably one that opens out low. Doesn't have to be fancy - a budget one will be perfect. Also, home-made light diffusers/reflectors, etc are invaluable and cost pennies - but one thing at a time I suppose.

Just my thoughts.

thanks for the tips, all the photos were taken on dull overcast days, just waiting to get out on a sunny day now, and have a play about. But your right i need to learn what does what.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I might have a copy of a DVD tutorial for the 450........I'll have a nose around when I get home - if I find it you're welcome to it, it was very good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE