CALLING BOOTSTRAP and others re: OPTIMUS PRODUCT RECALL

R

RV OPs

Thanks for the info, we were at the OTS aswell and it did not get a mention.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Note it only affects the new models (made in China); shame about this as the Nova is one of my all time favourite stoves and very very reliable.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Note it only affects the new models (made in China); shame about this as the Nova is one of my all time favourite stoves and very very reliable.

Back when I was a kid we used to say "Made in Japan" when we meant it was utter carp. Seems to me "Made in China" is the new "Made in Japan". Give China another decade, and they'll make the Japanese industrial miracle of the late 20th century look like my garden shed.

In the meantime watch out for companies run by bean counters who have no clue what quality means. Optimus seems to me to be one of the latest victims. I've used a 111B that's been all over the world for 20 years and it's still going strong. My wife bought me one of the new "Hiker Plus" models for my birthday, despite hours of trying, cleaning, and trying again it never did boil a kettle and we reluctantly sent it back for a refund.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for that info. Thankfully mines a old one but I will have to stop recomending the Nova which is a shame as its been the best stove I've ever used. I'm realy glad I didn't wait around for the Nova+ which was about to come out at the time. All the plaki bits put me off it.

ATB

Tom

PS does the cheap chinese clone of the Nova I remember folk mentioning in another thread suffer from the same defect?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... does the cheap chinese clone of the Nova I remember folk mentioning in another thread suffer from the same defect?

If you mean the one in this thread then it's not the same black colour as the affected Optimus product. I think it's probably not affected, but I'd be cautious about it until someone who actually has one of those stoves to dismantle and compare with the Optimus product has looked into it more carefully. The cheap clone might just be an unpainted version of the same thing made by the same people in the same place.

One of the benefits of having a recognized supply chain is having somewhere to turn to when issues like this arise. I'm afraid if you've imported a stove from China you're effectively on your own with things like this. Apart from BCUK of course. :)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Got your PM Bert and thanks again for the heads up.
My Nova+ was indeed one of the stoves recalled and I have been in touch with Katadyn.

The problem does not appear to be with the stove itself but with the pump and O-rings. The o-rings apparently swell when using some fuels which could actually allow the push fitting to leak (apparently). The problem with the pump is in the machining of the housing into which the quick release coupling pushes, there have been reports of a small burr on the opening which may cause the o-ring to be cut when connecting the coupling again increasing the risk of leakage.

To be honest (speaking as an engineer) these problems are more wide spread than you think. Finding materials for o-rings that seal, are stable in all fluids and can operate in a wide range of temperatures is quite a task. I think the burr in the housing is more a manufacturing problem than a design problem.

I looked at my pump with a magnifying glass and couldn't see a burr but I will be replacing it when the new one arrives anyway as a matter of course.

I'm surprised by the negative comments about recommending these stoves, I for one will not be changing my mind about them in fact the professionalism of Katadyn in doing this recall has strengthened my respect for the company and their product.
A lesser company would have probably kept quiet about it as there have been no reported injuries or damage as a result. In fact there are many companies out there whos quality control would have not allowed them to narrow the search down to so few affected products.

I have no ties to Katadyn apart from being a happy customer but I say well done to them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE