Cache?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I remember first reading Kephart way back, but I think those times are to today probably as alien as Kephart's are to now.

Late nineteenth/early twentieth century Appalachia, is a world away from 21'st Century UK, indeed even when Kephart was writing, his situation was a world away from the contemorary pioneers of lightweight camping in the UK bicycling around with there tents of balloon silk (whatever that is) tucked away in the pockets of there Norfolk Jackets.

I wouldn't trust leaving anything to chance in the UK right now, I'm not even sure if my motor is still there parked on the road right now :)

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
I wouldn't trust leaving anything to chance in the UK right now,

True that in any place nowadays I think... but what if you were to hide it really really well... perhaps take a GPS reading on it and turn it into your very own secret cache?
Kephart camps with things like kitchen ranges... What if you were to erect some kind of semi permanent shelter and put heavy comfort items (like Kephart would do) but render it a shared place? I saw something about a system of cabins/ruins in Scotland that are for public use.

@ paul B - good counter arguments... I can see your point about the polarized urbanization. For sure it's human occupation that pollutes the water... Animal byproducts is easy to deal with. Re drinking water from Cambridge vs Algonquin... True.. however I think the argument that durulz was trying to make was that (perhaps in the south) it's hard to find areas that aren't actively exploited.
"I doubt anyone would for hundreds of years. It has been cleaned up and now has seen the re-colonisation of some species that only survive in clean water."+1!!! now that's what I like to hear. AND I just saw an episode of the F word where Gordon Ramesay fishes his own little crayfish in a stream and cooks them up to great effect.

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Richmond North Yorkshire.
Personally not a fan of a Cache within the UK. Way too many variables in my honest opinion.

Leaving a water supply is something i'd never do.

a cache is something that is used alot in the forces. I've often been subjected to having to shuttle kit from a cache to an LUP and it's not a fun task.

It's a good technique if it's needed. Within the UK i don't see the need in my honest opinion.

I have a very close friend who once peed in a colleagues water bottle because he left it in a cache in the Middle East whilst he shuttled kit. Which was a big no, no. ( leaving the water bottle i mean) Needless to say he never left it on the floor again! Lesson learned.

Unfortunately you don't know who else uses the woods you use and i wouldnt personally advise leaving drinking water...If a guy can do it to a colleague in a war zone, a scrote or drug user would happily do it to as a joke or malicious act.

Just something to think about, buddy.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have used caches of water at times. Never thought of alcohol but I rarely drink alone anyway.

If you use sealed supermarket bottles it eliminates risks of unknown tampering and they are thin walled enough to crush for carrying out.

In most places I just Millbank and boil water with no worries, although I was out on the hills when Chernobyl popped off so I guess I may glow in the dark slightly.

I knew a chap who would cache plastic 1 gallon cans of petrol in various small roundabouts between hear in norfolk and south london, got me out of trouble on very dark night but I think he dug them up.

did a quick google of caching and after the geocahe thing some if it looked like a good idea. One was made with drain pipe and buried using a fence auger so it was vertical under ground. made me think of keeping copies of papers, animal movements etc in case house burned down. Some of the others were all a bit like people sitting in barns sharpening scythes muttering tell me when lord tell me when.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE