C.B radio's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
I'm sorting out putting a rig into the Santana at the mo.... having probs with interference from the wiper motor but I think its getting sorted out now.

SWMBO thinks its a sign ofadvancing senility... but thats her opinion of most of the things I do so it doesn't worry me :lmao:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Still got a Ham Jumbo somewhere. I used to really be into it all when I was about 15-16 and did a lot of DXing. Inverted V in the loft, 1/2 wave Silver Rod on the side of the house, 30W burner, AM/FM/USB/LSB, midnight channels, etc.

I toyed with the idea of getting a handheld as the range is much better than the PMRs (top end HF) - glad to hear they are de-reg'd now - I might get something when I eventually return to the UK (I'm not sure what German regs are like).

However, there was always a lot of discussion over the use of CB in emergencies because of the hoaxing that used to go on. I seem to remember channel 33 (?) was the so-called emergency channel and there were always kids messing about on it. Don't know what it's all like now...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
There is talk of withdrawing the 40 UK 27/81 channels, leaving just the 40 pan-European CEPT channels. But at the mo both are legal and modern UK sets have both.

If you enjoyed cb in the 80s, you might consider getting an amateur radio licence like Eric and I did. You no longer need morse, and you can get a Foundation licence with a short course and easy exam.

The amateur radio service is remarkable. Three million licensed stations worldwide, communicating without wires or infrastructure. Given the high resilience to disruption, it has an increasing role in disaster communications. In fact the UK government has recently granted many amateur operators authorisation to use certain military hf channels with a view to emergency use.

It's the only hobby to be formally defined by international treaty. And you get to use 400 watts, instead of the 4 watt CB radios.

http://www.rsgb.org/

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Doc said:
There is talk of withdrawing the 40 UK 27/81 channels, leaving just the 40 pan-European CEPT channels. But at the mo both are legal and modern UK sets have both.

If you enjoyed cb in the 80s, you might consider getting an amateur radio licence like Eric and I did. You no longer need morse, and you can get a Foundation licence with a short course and easy exam.

The amateur radio service is remarkable. Three million licensed stations worldwide, communicating without wires or infrastructure. Given the high resilience to disruption, it has an increasing role in disaster communications. In fact the UK government has recently granted many amateur operators authorisation to use certain military hf channels with a view to emergency use.

It's the only hobby to be formally defined by international treaty. And you get to use 400 watts, instead of the 4 watt CB radios.

Been looking at this recently meself Doc. I even thought about learning morse.

I work a lot of nights and often find meself in me landy on me breaks. I thought it would be a fun way to kill an hour and maybe useful as well.

Dont suppose anyone can reccomend a ham rig for the landy? I have been looking at the Yaesu rigs but I really dont know what I'm looking for. Single channel, dual channel, quad channel - it's all a bit confusing. I thought I might get meself a rig and just use it as a scanner untill I have a licence.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
One of the best mobile rigs is Icom's 706:

http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic706.htm

It covers all the HF (shortwave) bands with general coverage receive up to 200MHz. It is easily converted to transmit outwith the amateur bands. With this you can listen to:

All HF amateur transmissions - morse and ssb.
All hf ssb utility transmissions (eg long range aircraft, met reports)
VHF amateur radio
VHF Marine
All CB transmissions
Shortwave broadcast stations like Voice of America, deutsche welle, etc
With a computer, you can receive amateur data transmissions, marine weatherfax etc.
It also gets radio 4 on fm. :)
With a licence, you can transmit with 100 watts on hf, 10 watts on vhf.
The 706 cost about £1000 when launched- I have seen them go for £190 on ebay.

Morse is far from obsolete - aprt from being the only human readable digital mode, it will get through when voice cannot. These days about 90% of my radio operating is on the key.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Absolutely. It is perfectly legal to listen to amateur radio without any licence. (Listening to aircraft/ships is technically illegal but I'm not aware of anyone being charged)

I think it is an offence to 'install' transmitting equipment without a licence but it is common practice for people training for an amateur licence to buy a transceiver rather than a receiver and just leave the microphone disconnected. I am not a lawyer but I think this would be ok.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Doc said:
Absolutely. It is perfectly legal to listen to amateur radio without any licence. (Listening to aircraft/ships is technically illegal but I'm not aware of anyone being charged)

I think it is an offence to 'install' transmitting equipment without a licence but it is common practice for people training for an amateur licence to buy a transceiver rather than a receiver and just leave the microphone disconnected. I am not a lawyer but I think this would be ok.

As far as I am aware the only time people have been done for having a transciever without an amateur license is when they have actually transmitted a signal and been caught. Unplugging the mic, and resisting the temptation until you have your ticket doesn't present any problems as far as the authorities are concerned.

Antennae design and propigation are the bits of the hobby that fascinate me the most. Packet is fascinating too.

Eric

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Doc said:

I did! I sat and passed the exam in 1999 but never had time to actually take up the license. It's funny - I used them all the time at work, from kiloHz to GigaHz. I'll possibly have a go again when I get back to the UK. Although you don't actually need morse anymore, I think it was a sad day when they removed the requirement from the Class B (?) license. It was a progression, something to aim for.

Dumbed down, eh?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Doc said:

I hope you are right mate, cos the postie delivered this today...

yaesu00004.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1817.html

I'm now a foundation student. :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Mikey P said:
I did! I sat and passed the exam in 1999 but never had time to actually take up the license. It's funny - I used them all the time at work, from kiloHz to GigaHz. I'll possibly have a go again when I get back to the UK. Although you don't actually need morse anymore, I think it was a sad day when they removed the requirement from the Class B (?) license. It was a progression, something to aim for.

Dumbed down, eh?

You can get a licence for life now with a single fee, by using the internet to apply instead of the postal service.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing/olc/

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Lurch said:
Now I'm interested!
I was thinking about hamming it up back in the late 80's but I really couldn't be bothered with the do dahs.

It is more popular than ever now funnily enough. :rolleyes:

Nothing cuts through the noise when using low power like the good old dah dits.

Never had the patience to learn it myself mind you,get so far then forget about it for a while and have to start again.

With Martyn's rig,which gives 5 watts output,morse will get far more contacts over a much greater distance than will voice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE