C.B radio's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
don't know how many of you have owned one, but i just had 2 given to me and having been off air for so long thought i'd have a couple more to see if it was any easier than using mobile phones as i'm never more than 15 miles away from home most of the time.
so anyway i switched on the radio for the first time in quite a few years and it seems there's still a large number of people still using them, i had seen a few more cars with antenna's on them.

i do have one long shot question to ask the ones who have or have had C.B's, has any one got or know where i can find a JESAN K-T 7007, i used to have one years ago and i would love one again as they were great car C.B's
Jesan_KT_7007.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I hae two PMR hand held radios that are great for a walk out in the woods. I leave one at home with the missus, and can call her when I'm on the way bck so she puts the kettle on! The kids love to play aswell, I'm just trying to stop them saying over and out all the time!

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
:cool: ...Still use mine every time we go on a long trip in the 'landship'......been on fer near on 25 years...started wi' an' old 'president ar7 AM rig......(much fun).
There are still mags t' be had fer buyin' old (an' new) gear.....check on the net, ye'll find a jenson i'm sure....
BTW.....Did ye know they've just de-reg'd CB's now......so ye don't need a licence no more!!....hussah!!......still only FM versions tho..... :D ...

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
we have a couple at home but not hooked up, not a clue how to do it lol
leon

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
I have got a Rotel 240 (mod'd to have the 40 euro channels as well as the uk40) in my series landrover and a 400 channel Midland 48 + Multi CB in Defender.

Another 80 channel rotel 240 (clone) at home and also a 400 channel Midland 42 Multi handheld walkie-talkie.

The only thing I like about the modern Midland CB is the channel scan functions but audio quality wise on RX and TX is no way near the quality of the old school Rotel using the cybernet circuit boards.

I had the home setup and the Defender have a 15mile range with each other over radio unfriendly terrain but only when the defender using an extra 100 watt and a top loaded antenna. The last storm we had here ate my home antenna so have not bothered talking to misses on way to work since. My home base in Wales when I was a teen used to have 40 miles range on the legal 4 watts.

The CB's in the landrover are invaluable assets when offroading / in convoy but could get away with PMR radio or any crappy CB setip since the ranges involved are tiny.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
Cap'n Badger said:
:cool: ...Still use mine every time we go on a long trip in the 'landship'......been on fer near on 25 years...started wi' an' old 'president ar7 AM rig......(much fun).
There are still mags t' be had fer buyin' old (an' new) gear.....check on the net, ye'll find a jenson i'm sure....
BTW.....Did ye know they've just de-reg'd CB's now......so ye don't need a licence no more!!....hussah!!......still only FM versions tho..... :D ...
i saw something a couple of weeks ago about de-reging but didn't pay much attention to it having not been on for so long, then i remembered i have an old uniden uniace 200 stashed away somewhere then having 2 midlands given to me, i thought it daft not to use them :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
what do you need to get up and running ? can you install them in houses ?
leon

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
leon-b said:
what do you need to get up and running ? can you install them in houses ?
leon
if your using a mobile(car) c.b then you need a power supply and a antenna, but if you've got a homebase c.b the power supply is in built so then just an antenna of some sort.
it does help if you know how to use an S.W.A meter to tune the antenna

if you can find a local aerial installer or even better an installer that does c.b aerials they would set up the aerial for you and take all the pain of setting you out of it for you

theres one down the road from me, he sells and installs them

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
big_daddy_merc said:
or know where i can find a JESAN K-T 7007, [/IMG]

You may want to try your luck with these guys http://www.kcb.co.uk/ , they are a long standing CB trader which also sell on second hand rigs, maybe drop them a line and have them look out for the model you're after.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
cq cq cq dx, this is Yankee Foxtrot two zero, standing by.....
I used to love the cb's, I would stay up most the night. I had a long scaffold pole clamped to me parents house with a huge ariel on the top. I used to get QSL cards from many places in Europe when the skip rose, and was part of The Mad Colonel's 21 club where we spent most of the evening networking....Loved it...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
QSL Jon

Me too - the flipin Italians with big boots used to stomp on the skip though :)

Did you know cq comes from "seek you"?

Roughly like Mayday comes from the French "M'aider" (help me)

Okay I'll shut up now

Red

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
All my friends cars and mine used to have radio's in years ago when we first got cars (mine was an MG Metro Turbo, others were a vauxhall shove-it, a proper mini and a rover vitesse so that gives you an idea of age!!! :rolleyes: )

We used to "fox and hare" with them. The foxes using the power monitors to triangulate the postion of the hare.

i was known as ArkAngel back then too! :lmao: :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Vauxhall shove it.....I had one of them. Someone has a photo of me taking an axe to it once......
I had forgotton that cq was seek you, Red....I used to dash up to devils dyke when a storm was in the air and start me cq'ing....

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Oh, mem'ries.... I got my first rig back in the early seventies. A Radio Shack 40 channel AM, and totally illegal. It was great fun though. I took it with me when I got posted to the Household Cavalry at Hyde Park barracks. I had a married quarter on the twenty sixth floor of Peninsular Tower, the big tower block in the middle of the barracks. I got some brilliant copies from up there - all over London and beyond. I was one of the marchers who rallied to downing street to get CB legalised. Big mistake! No sooner had they legalised it and we all bought FM rigs, we found every kid on the block also got one for christmas and the fun was over. CB became just another toy for the kids to channel hog. That's when I started studying for my amateur radio license.

One four for a copy, crank it back to me,
Have you got your ears on, on the old CB.
I just like to modulate, for a little while,
So buddy pick a window, and make a breaker smile.

Eric (AKA: Photoman, Dales Breaker's Club, Richmond, N.Yorks)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE