BYBC in deep snow.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
BYBC?
Yep, Back Yard Bush Craft!

Since it is not allowed by law to do things like this in the woods, here, I have to practice in my own backyard.

I wanted to test my tripod, kettle and homemade lid in wintercondition and deep snow.
This meant that I had to make fire and keep it going in the snow and to add another challenge I wanted to use only materials from my backyard, being 5x20 meters.
I cut off some of the lower branches of coniferous trees and I found a small pile of wood that I left behind last summer. I only used a paper handkerchief to get the fire started with a firesteel.

8fik2.jpg

Using the wood from the pile I made a small bed, stacking 2 layers of wood. This way melting snow and ice could drip down, without extinguising the fire. Befor that I remove as much snow as I thought would be necessary.
8brandhout.jpg

Because there was more snow coming I used a german tenthalf as a shelter. I don't have a tarp yet and I didn't dare using a poncho, because of possible sparks.
8BYBC.jpg

A large stack of green coniferous branches made a great comfortable seat, but I also made an isolated outdoor "seat" myself. I used the foam backing, found in Dutch army daypacks and I covered that in a piece of cheap insulation mat, the kind you use in the summer to cover your car's windshield. To top it off I made a little, washable bag for it too. I added some handles while I was busy, so it can double as a foragingbag, too, for instance.
8mat2.jpg

Thawing/deicing the wood;
8fik3.jpg

And drying it;
8deksel1.jpg

There was a unpleasant surprise, however. The water turned brownish, while boiling! Would it be rust coming off or might it be from the ash, that was blown up in clouds?
8bruinwater.jpg

Anyway, today's lessons:
Making and maintaining fire is deep snow is possible, if proper precautions are made. It doesn't matter much if the wood is frozen or covered in snow.

Add some dry to my backpack, when going out in winterconditions!! It doesn't have to be much. Just to keep a fire going in the beginning.

The handles from kettle and lid still can be handled without problems, even when being used over a fire for a longer period of time.

6 parts of snow give 1 part of boiling water and the lid is ideal for scooping up snow!

Being outdoors in cold conditions is fun!!
But I already knew that.... :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one :D

Somehow playing with a fire in snow in the middle of Winter is always fun :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. No idea what the discolouration in the water is caused by. Did you scour the pot first ? If not, it has to have come from the snow since I don't think you're set up would let soot in. If the snow has come 'through' the trees it can just be stuff from them, and since you've boiled the water it should be fine to drink.

M

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
That pan does say large winter meal for a lot of people to me its just begging for a stew or a curry :)
Back yard bushcraft beats watching crappy telly , nice one Ron :cool:
Twodogs

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Last summer I made one great chili, which turned out to be enough for 10 adults and the kettle was just a bit over half full!
And I'll be doing that again, one of these days!

Not just crappy tele, but also gorging oneself with luxurious food or sitting around with people you have nothing in common with all day, wondering what the hell you are doing there!!
This used to be the way I spent christmas years ago.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Snow makes your back garden a whole new country!
I have been playing with various snow melting methods - Eskimo Marshmallow, melting table, compressed snow in a billy can etc (no photos as I am selling first publication rights to a magazine I write for) and generally practicing Winter Bushcraft in a newly remade wilderness that is more usually a lawn!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I've been paying serious attention to BC since march or so of this year and I must admit that for a cityboy like myself the backyard has proven itself to be a great classroom for practicing a lot of stuff I've been reading or told about.
The real thing is not possibe around here. Either forbidden by law or a severeal hour drive away and let's be honest, for a "greenhorn" like me it is a comforting thought to know that help is not far away if things go wrong! Either in cutting up my hands or spilling my coffee... :)

Firebug

Jan 17, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Super nice! We spent the last two weekends out in the bush. Nothing like spending the night out in cold temps.

I as well us the lid of the pot to scoop up snow for our coffee and food. We strained it through my bandana. Good times!

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Ah, a thread for me. The back garden is the nearest I get to the outdoors, one of the drawbacks of living in central London. My neighbours think I'm a grade A nutjob, burning logs and brewing tea. I tell myself it's practice. One day I'll get out there for real...

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
Well I didn't manage to get out for a bimble today for one reason and another. So I put the Honey Stove outside and brewed up coffee on it instead. Tasted much better than when it's made with water from the electric kettle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE