Buying an opinel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I was thinking of buying an Opinel, seeming as they are cheap and come highly recommended. I bought one from France a while ago but I didn't keep it very well and I've lost it (a fate that seems to have befallen most of my kit).

What is the opinion on the Couteau de Jardin N°08 and where can I find an english vendor?

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Don't know about a 'Couteau de Jardin' but i can get you an 'Inox #8' at cost price (last time i looked they were less than a fiver) from my local supplier and bung it in the post for ya if ya like. Just let me know.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Biddlesby said:
What is the opinion on the Couteau de Jardin N°08 and where can I find an english vendor?

That's the drop-point stainless one with the pre-modded handle?

Never used a stainless Opinel, but I can't see there'd be much wrong with it.

#8 is *definitely* the "right" size (at least for my hand)

Can't seem to find much UK source wise. Carbon ones are common as muck, but even the standard inox blades seem rare. Just buy from a French site, I guess...

Jim.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
#8 is the one to go for. Great blade.

UK don't do many, although I have seen the odd one in the Lakedistrict, try Googling it. I got mine at the Alps (they must of had 3 or 4 shops just selling knives, mainly Opinel).

I have had my Opinel for a few weeks now and love it, came with a great leather case too.

Aug 22, 2005
Oregon
http://couteaux-courty.com/cgi-bin/...ction=view_product&productID=1580&category=17

Here is a French supplier for the Couteau De Jardin N08. I ordered, for the first time, last Friday. No problems. They responded quickly to two emails about Opinel blade steel. Terrific looking knife, with popular mods built in at the factory (tapered handle and lanyard hole), and it has the outstanding blade steel Sandvik 12C27. I think that this "garden knife" could be a very good pocket knife. 7 euros. I lowered the unit cost by ordering 10 pieces. I intend to use them as gifts at my son's wedding. I can easily sell any surplus.

http://www.smt.sandvik.com/sandvik/...InternetWeb)/A1D53A269CF181D5C12568FF004F2AB9

The only US vendor I can find for this particular model Opinel sells them for $40 plus shipping (cutlerytogo.com). I could not turn up a UK vendor.

All the best,

oregon (waay out west)

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
yeh, i always have an opinel on me. i prefer the no. 6, as i like my blades small, but i know the guys all love the 7 or 8.

i dont know where to get on in the uk, but in germany they are on sale in pretty much every outdoor shop, not that helpfull, sorry dude. you could try globetrotter.de

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I've never tried one of those Couteau De Jardin's, but a No.8 is definately a good size! It fits my hand perfectly (but I guess everyone's different). As they're so cheap it wouldn't be a big loss to get one and find you need a slightly larger or smaller one....

And they are brilliant knives....

Aug 22, 2005
Oregon
http://www.bladematrix.tv/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=44629

I can vouch for this vendor & enjoy the economy pricing @ less than $6 w/o shipping for #8 Opinel Garden knife. Used their services many times and always satisfied. I have not shipped overseas so don't know any particulars in this regard. I have ordered a few garden knives and they were fine but in need of sharpening. Love that 12C27 Sandvik because it sharpens to a very very fine edge to make a great slicer.

Best,

oregon

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have owned a few Opinels over the years and the No 8 blades are about right but unfortunatly I find the handles a bit small for my big mitts :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE