Bushmoot Loadout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
This year will be my first time at Bushmoot.

I know what I would take for a 4 day trip away but I have 3 children with me (excited First timers)

Can anybody suggest a load out based on experience of the moot site and the nice to haves to better participate in the workshops?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Basically take everything you would for a long weekend and include chairs in it. Another good thing to have is a separate 'admin' tarp pitched up to increase your living area.

Your kids ,depending on their ages, will make friends with all the others that will be there and have a whale of a time. Having said that don't forget to pack a few indoor games should it be wet

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Thanks

Chairs -Check.
Admin Tarp -Check
Indoor Games. (Hadn't thought of that. Electronic games BANNED)
cooler/ice box -check
table and chairs- well camp chairs Check
washing up bowl-check
lots of string- I have Paracord- Check
brew kit- oh so count on it. Check
pan scourers- check
washing up liquid-check
Longbows, arrows, braver, quiver, ring.-check

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just take everything I own!
But then I own very little and have a van to carry it in....
Sorry - not much help really am I...

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I just take everything I own!
But then I own very little and have a van to carry it in....
Sorry - not much help really am I...

Bless you John. I own far too much but hope none of it has any control over me.

Some of the really useful kit I would struggle to part with while I need it but other than some sentimental items my soul at least travels light.

I did contemplate making this an expedition by Jimny but three kids squawking "Im Cold" "Im Hungry" "Im Bored" because of a bit of extra car space has dissuaded me.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
cooler/ice box
table and chairs
washing up bowl
lots of string
brew kit
pan scourers
washing up liquid

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I am coming to the moot for the first time with two children, but I am flying and training and taxiing, so I will only have one rucksack with me (plus two small carry-ons for the girls) I am starting to get slightly worried that I will not be able to fit everything in after my practice at the weekend, the large stove and axe has already been jettisoned. Wet weather games are definitely not going to be included ;) I will have an extra tarp though, and I got a collapsible washing up bowl yay! so that's good. There will be no room for sleep mats so we are going to use natural bedding and our summer weight sleeping bags, I hope it will not be too cold ;)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
You always need less than you think, even with kids imho. As long as you have the means to stay warm and dry and have some means to cook, you'll be ok. There is plenty of entertainment and education available on site and then there's a castle and beach within walking distance.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Like the look of Kubb. Hopefully someone can teach us to play.

To a certain extent I want to go minimalist and show the kids what they can go without but it's true that "any fool can be uncomfortable"

The two youngest want to get lost in the woods. I'm thinking walkie talkies!!

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I am coming to the moot for the first time with two children, but I am flying and training and taxiing, so I will only have one rucksack with me (plus two small carry-ons for the girls) I am starting to get slightly worried that I will not be able to fit everything in after my practice at the weekend, the large stove and axe has already been jettisoned. Wet weather games are definitely not going to be included ;) I will have an extra tarp though, and I got a collapsible washing up bowl yay! so that's good. There will be no room for sleep mats so we are going to use natural bedding and our summer weight sleeping bags, I hope it will not be too cold ;)

I'm willing to bring three of these cheap inflatable mattresses for you to use (will cost you £12-16 total) and lend you a pump if you wish. A chilly floor sucks the heat out of you and is uncomfortable even in Summer, tired, cold, achy children not fun. There are some temporary buildings (yurts, stalls, viking hut etc.) that you can use if the weather goes South!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9089235.htm
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9091993.htm

Hmm, walk talkie minimalist!! I'm thinking watches and regular check in times would be easier for you.

Last edited:

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath

I will be carrying some spare mats if you need to borrow some, and there is a table there with spare kit people will be selling if you need it. If you need to you can also ask for a lift to the local supermarkets, most people will go at least once during the moot, I would suggest asking during the morning meeting.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I will be carrying some spare mats if you need to borrow some, and there is a table there with spare kit people will be selling if you need it. If you need to you can also ask for a lift to the local supermarkets, most people will go at least once during the moot, I would suggest asking during the morning meeting.

I can confirm that the local Tesco has a camping/outdoors section. A couple of years ago I arrived and realised I had left my kipmat at home. Luckily Tesco had a child's inflatable mattress for a few quid which was surprisingly comfortable and which I still use now and then.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its not a long walk to beautiful sand dunes and the sea so take along beach kit and get down to the coast for a day with the family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE