Bushmoot Bow Making?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relfy

Nomad
Okay, thanks Wayne; and thank you Dave and John - I will pass on your well wishes x

p.s. She is going to be in hospital for a few days yet at least - severed arteries and tendons - but I am seeing about getting her to the moot still if it is at all possible.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
How is the wounded solider getting on? Fights will glass doors never end well. Fingers crossed she makes a full and swift recovery.

If she cannot make the moot you both are invited to my woods for a day or so of bow making whenever you feel able.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Hi Wayne, I probably have some of the tools lying around in my flat in Tilbury (which I don't actually live in and will have to visit before the moot) but given the tiny car I drive with no boot space to speak of, space is at a premium. If you do have a couple of spares, it would be useful. I do, obviously have knives and an axe which I'll be bringing with me and the needle files should fit in no problem if I can find them.

If Relfy hasn't read this yet, I'll let the Cousin know about the invitation to your woods. When I spoke to her last, she was very sad that she couldn't make the moot. I'm sure that would really cheer here up. :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I will be bringing a few tools for people to use but as I am brining a small mountain load of first aid kit for the First aid course space is a premium. To be honest you could get by with a axe and knife. I have plenty of rasps for people to use.

extra needle files would be a help.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Toys? - never did a mere toy give me so much pain and pleasure all at the same time!
Today I will be fining the grip area down a tad, re-taping the grip and covering the tape with thin leather...
Then all I need do is buy some arrows, make a bracer and tab - and perhaps a quiver as well, find a safe spot to practice, build some muscle, learn not to whimper so loudly when I miss a shot ... and I am away with a reborn hobby!
Many thanks to you (and Biker!) for your patience during the classes (and after):)
I have repaired my hatchets edge (after the bamboo ate it) and just need to get the tarps out of the workshop, where they are drying right in the way of serious work, and the saga of the bow continues!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - tried that ... and it looked awful!
The leather I used was thin and showed ever lump and bump in the tape... so I ripped it off again and used that latex impregnated conforming bandage stuff - in cammo. It hides all the faults and gives a comfortable grip too :)
Yes it is not trad looking - but then the yellow/black string is not trad either, nor are the glass arrows I bought today, nor is the bracer and tab combi I made years ago (and hope to find in the loft tomorrow) ... and after all - this is not re-enactment ... it is bushcrafting!:)
I will try and get photos up soon - when I have made a quiver:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All in good time - I have some I have made before :) but they all have stone broadheads.
I want to practice with cheap arrows until I get reasonably good again :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
All in good time - I have some I have made before :) but they all have stone broadheads.
I want to practice with cheap arrows until I get reasonably good again :D

I have a med style tab if you need one John, just pm your address. If not a glove thinking about it, cant get on with them my self.

To build up a handle i stack leather front and back of the grip then shape with a knife, bind with serving string then wrap with leather. Give you something to get a grip on.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a med style tab if you need one John, just pm your address. If not a glove thinking about it, cant get on with them my self.

To build up a handle i stack leather front and back of the grip then shape with a knife, bind with serving string then wrap with leather. Give you something to get a grip on.
All is done now :)
Made myself a couple of new tabs, found my bracer and made a quick mock up of the type of quiver I want (I finally found a use for the leather I had from Lindsey last year:) ) ... and the mock up turned out OK so I will use it instead of using top quality leather.
Bow, arrows, tab, bracer,quiver, arrow wiper (fox fur - again from Lindsey), - all I need now is skill ... but I cannot find a source for that on the interweb!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmm - just had a bit of a shoot in the back garden... I think I need a better range...
One arrow lost as it flicked a raspberry cane and dived into the twiggy horror that is the compost heap of twiggy stuff (that rots and is later separated into good compost and rotten twigs) under my canoe racks, two stone heads shattered in contact with trees, one antler head shattered in contact with a wall, several fletchings ruined by contact with twigs.

The range was rather hemmed in by trees and fruit bushes (I could only see part of the target through the raspberries) and had a breezeblock wall as a backstop. The target was a builders bulk delivery sand bag filled with compost (an overflow compost bin between a plastic compost bin and my canoe rack under which is the pile of twiggy stuff rotting etc etc)
Slate tipped arrow in willow tree
DSCF6685.jpg

DSCF6684.jpg

DSCF6683.jpg

Home made arrows after 1 hrs shooting
DSCF6689.jpg

The kit I was using
DSCF6690.jpg

DSCF6691.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE