Bushmoot: Are we allowed to fish in the rivers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
The subject says it all really - I couldn't find a bushmoot specific forum so my apologies if I've overlooked it.

As the advert for the bushmoot sells the area so admirably, I was wondering what we are and aren't allowed to do?

I know that we are allowed fires in the sandy areas, but this is my first bushmoot so I don't quite know what the boundaries are about what we can and can't do on the site.

If we can't fish, I might as well leave my hobo fishing kit at home :)

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
As far as I am aware the fishing upstream of the sewage works bridge is private. Downstream of this fishing is allowed but not from the Merthyr Mawr Estate side (OK if you're actually standing in the river or from the east bank). Sea fishing is fine.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Wolfie describes the situation accurately.

The sewage works aren't noticed so they're no issue, i've never heard or smelt anything fro that direction, it's not on our site at all so most people don't even realise it's there.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Tony is right about the treatment plant. I'm nearby all year round and it's rare to be able to smell anyything. It's also well screened from view by woodland and so most people don't know it's there. It does show though that it is worth knowing what is upstream of where you are fishing / washing / drinking.

pace

Sep 6, 2006
Woodley, Reading
Having had a go at fishing the estuary at high tide it's worth mentioning the currents are very strong and you will need heavy end tackle and ideally a beach caster.

Theres a bait shop in nearby porthcawl that does small packs of squid for those not keen on storing bait in their tent/hammock. They also stock a very limited range of tackle.

I had a word with some locals who said that as well as various flatfish there are some good sized bass in the estuary.

I personally struggled to keep the bait deep enough with currents pulling everything into the beach. Even tied on largeish rocks weren't enough to my hook finding its way ashore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE