Bushcrafty story books for kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I'm sure we've done this topc before - but I can't seem to find the thread anywhere. :eek:

I'm looking for books I can read/read with by 8 year old son - he's starting to get the bushcraft bug and I'd like to find a few bedtime fiction stories that have a bushcraft theme to them. Any ideas?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
not bushcraft as such but I loved my copy of 'The Hardy Boys' Survival Handbook' when I were a lad!

Just tried to find it - and its seems out of print! :(

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Try the Hatchet books by Gary Paulsen - a boy is stranded in the Canadian Wilderness and survives using his hatchet.

A very good read.

Geoff

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Not fiction, and possibly not bushcraft per se, but I remember reading Thor Heyedral's Kon Tiki Expedition when I was about that age, proper adventure story!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You really out to try the "Dangerous Book for Boys" - not a story book but packed with great father son projects - a stonking read.

I believe Chris Ryan has done some kids fiction with a survival theme.

I liked "Swallows and Amazons" at that age - plenty of camping, sailing on Lakes etc.

I would heartily recommend Anne MacCaffreys "Black Horses" (Arthurian but lots of herb lore and outdoors stuff)

Red

You really out to try the "Dangerous Book for Boys" - not a story book but packed with great father son projects - a stonking read.

I had this book bought for my son and I at Christmas by the in-laws, great book!!!

Glad to see Willard Price has been suggested by some others folk on here. I'm going to read them to Ben once I've completed all the Harry Potter books, think we're on the fourth so hopefully only a couple to go!!!!!

Oh BTW weekend-warrior how about The Hobbit not bushcrafty but it made a big impression on me at that age.

Phil.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
My favourite was 'Brendon Chase' by 'BB' (Denys Watkins-Pitchford)
About three brothers who run off to live in the forrest like Robin Hood

Read it to my six year old last year and he enjoyed it

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Oh BTW weekend-warrior how about The Hobbit not bushcrafty but it made a big impression on me at that age.

Phil.

Yep, we've done the Hobbit and a couple of the Alan Garner books (Moon of gomwrath and elidor). Robin Hood and alll the of the Arthurian stories:)

I think I'll try the hatchet and willard books though - they sound just right. :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My Side of the Mountain; Talking Earth; To Hook a Fish and Catch a Mountain and Julie of the Wolves all by by Jean Craighead George. All are about young people, and have real bushcraft in them, not fictional stuff.

Another vote for the Arthur Ransom books, Swallows and Amazons etc.

Rosemary Sutcliffe wrote good stuff about the time of the Romans. Eagle of the Ninth and Frontier Wolves had very evocative descriptions of the wilds beyond Hadrians Wall.

I was into all the above at the age of 8 and 9.

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
I liked "Swallows and Amazons" at that age - plenty of camping, sailing on Lakes etc.
Red

Oh i blame these for so much. If it hadn't been for the dream of sailing, camping and all the rest, I probably wouldn't be stuck now as a Sea Scout leader. Seriously though - superb books

Anyone know where you can get them on cd/mp3 - audible don't seem to have them

Rich

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE