Bushcrafty story books for kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Red's suggestion of the Swallows and Amazon stories is an excellent one - particularly for this country.

Another goodie is "Two Little Savages" by Ernest Thompson Seton: http://www.authorama.com/two-little-savages-1.html.

Some of the books by Ronald Welch are good and deal with frontier life.

Jack London is superb.

From memory R M Ballantyne is good. I liked Coral Island, Dog Crusoe and Condemned as a Nihilist in particular. Speaking of Crusoe, I think there may be another 'Crusoe' book worth a read.

I'll add more as they occur to me.

Cheers,

Huon

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
I loved Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn as a boy. Not Exactly Bushcraft but lots of outdoor life and boyhood shenanigans! I also second anything by Jack London, Call of the Wild in particular but White Fang is excellent. His short stories were what made me fall in love with the outdoors. Some are superbly dark and funny.
Also, give Ernest Hemingway's short stories a try. The ones about Nick (can't remember any titles, sorry) are particularly good.

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
I recomend Rascal by Stirling North and A Story like the Wind by Lourens van der Post. The last a bit heavy going but good for adults!!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
My Side of the Mountain; Talking Earth; To Hook a Fish and Catch a Mountain and Julie of the Wolves all by by Jean Craighead George. All are about young people, and have real bushcraft in them, not fictional stuff.

Another vote for the Arthur Ransom books, Swallows and Amazons etc.

'My Side of the Mountain', most definitely. If this doesn't start the outdoor adventure urge, your kids are a lost cause.

Swallows and Amazons too - got me into sailing when I was a kid.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Neither of these is about bushcraft but both have spirited female 'leads' and a taste for
adventure and I'd highly recommend them to anyone with daughters. I've no idea if boys
would enjoy them to be honest - the stories are good but they might be put off by the
titles, possibly?

She, The Adventuress by Dorothy Crayder
Set in the late 60s or early 70s Maggie is a young girl whose aunt pays for her to
travel from America to Italy by sea. She starts of terrified but - lo and behold! - she
finds her feet (and her sea legs) en route and learns to fend for herself.

Unfortunately it appears to be as rare as hens' teeth, but worth a read if you can
find it.

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf by Catherine Storr
Written in the mid 50s it's the story of Polly who finds that the local wolf will stop at
nothing to try and eat her and her little sister. Both outsmart him on every occasion
and there are some delightful bits of dialogue. In one scene Polly is using cherry
stones to work out her future when the wolf comes along and asks about the
rhymes she's using. She tells him about the "Monday's child is full of grace" rhyme
and the wolf mentions that wolves have their own rhyme to tell them how children
should best be cooked, which is:

Monday's child is fairly tough,
Tuesday's child is tender enough,
Wednesday's child is good to fry,
Thursday's child is best in pie.
Friday's child makes good meat roll,
Saturday's child is casserole,
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day,
Is delicious when eaten any way.

:D

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
The Hobbit

Call Of The Wild

White Fang

Stig

The Silver Sword

The Long Walk, My dad got for me from a 2nd hand bookshop.
It's a true story of a Polish guy,
and others, who escape a Soviet camp in Siberia and make it to India.
Harrowing though...

Shackleton.

Treasure Island

Gulliver's Travels

Earthsea Trilogy

The Black Couldran (spelling?) series, 7 books?

Bloke on the Island, with Man Friday?

Sorry can't remember any more at the mo......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE