Bushcrafting Wives/girlfriends/partners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
saffy said:
The title of this thread caught my eye and then was disappointed to see that it was not in the Trading / Swap Shop section.

That's in 'Member Classifieds'.

Maybe there's an idea here: how about a 'Would like to meet...' section of the forum?

'Bearded bushcrafter, with Swanndri, would like to meet mother nature for nights under the stars and friction (firemaking). Owns own leaf shelter. Must like leather and wearing all the kit. No townies need apply.'

My missus is very much like some of the others described above: she likes going for walks, loves the countryside, is very good at identifying birds and animals, will happily collect berries and make stuff, etc. But, she's not into the kit side of stuff and can't understand why I'll brew up in the garden when there's a kettle inside.

I think she views the whole thing as one of these 'male obsessions', like train spotting, football, woodworking, etc.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mikey P said:
That's in 'Member Classifieds'.

Maybe there's an idea here: how about a 'Would like to meet...' section of the forum?

"Ventile garbed bushcrafter, well insulated, own knife and hammock seeks bushbabe with own Lee Reeves for try-stick, pothangers & maybe more. Send photo (of axe)"

Red ;)

Axe Catcher

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
The Wilds of Stratford-upon-Avon!
British Red said:
"Ventile garbed bushcrafter, well insulated, own knife and hammock seeks bushbabe with own Lee Reeves for try-stick, pothangers & maybe more. Send photo (of axe)"

Red ;)

Well, I seem to be an example of exactly what is needed here, an axe-wielding single bushbabe who's keen to enhance her edumacation in all things wild and wooly, hammocked and totally into kit and sharps....

We certainly do exist.
AC

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
My fiance enjoys camping out (in the warmer months) but is also happy to come out bushcrafting with me for the day in the colder periods. Especially since she discovered the joys of whittling. She is developing a growing spoon pile. :lmao:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Axe Catcher said:
Well, I seem to be an example of exactly what is needed here, an axe-wielding single bushbabe who's keen to enhance her edumacation in all things wild and wooly, hammocked and totally into kit and sharps....

We certainly do exist.
AC

watch out for a flood of PMs :D ... no, not pms, that's something different :eek:

xylaria

redcollective said:
Mrs Redcollective is fond of foraging and will happily turn a bucket of blackberries into muffins and jam, however that's about where the interest stops.

Stu

Encourage the skills she is interested in. I have no understanding of why anybody likes fishing, but I can pick berries quicker than ray mears. There is an African saying it takes a village to make a meal, and meals need veg and fruit and to be cooked. There is gender bias with hunter gather skills where women gather and men hunt, although no-one should constrained by that there does seem to a natural migration towards a skill base along that conforms to that bias. My point is bushcraft needs more women.

No woman wants to be the only WAG that tags along to a blokes fishing/drinking weekend, which to an outsider is what some moots look like. I see what puts women off hammock sleeping aswell with regards privacy. Women also like to feel feminine. The terrible design of most girlie kit can mean you can end up wearing unflatering mens kit if you want something that works So encouraging skills that allow space and status to the way women think while also been non-judgemental about chicks that chop wood or girlies that grollach deer. And dont introduce them to any misogynistic knife nutters.

xylaria said:
Encourage the skills she is interested in. I have no understanding of why anybody likes fishing, but I can pick berries quicker than ray mears. There is an African saying it takes a village to make a meal, and meals need veg and fruit and to be cooked. There is gender bias with hunter gather skills where women gather and men hunt, although no-one should constrained by that there does seem to a natural migration towards a skill base along that conforms to that bias. My point is bushcraft needs more women.

No woman wants to be the only WAG that tags along to a blokes fishing/drinking weekend, which to an outsider is what some moots look like. I see what puts women off hammock sleeping aswell with regards privacy. Women also like to feel feminine. The terrible design of most girlie kit can mean you can end up wearing unflatering mens kit if you want something that works So encouraging skills that allow space and status to the way women think while also been non-judgemental about chicks that chop wood or girlies that grollach deer. And dont introduce them to any misogynistic knife nutters.

You've not been attending some very strange meets if there are "misogynistic knife nutters", sure I've met some knife nutters but not all are misogynistic ;)

Phil.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Axe Catcher said:

We certainly do exist.
AC
And I thought BB was the only one (she isn't sharps obsessed though - so you win on that one - Ash is making her a new skinning knife but thats "functional" ;))

I think Xylaria makes some good points though - theres more than one way to Bushcraft - BBs is much more great fireplace cookery, longer walks, less photography than mine. Don't know if its gender or just taste. I do agree with the "make sure (if you are the kit monster) that they have decent gear". Again, not a gender thing, anyone who is cold, wet or uncomfortable is unlikely to enjoy it - heck if you are trying to persuade them - lend them the best sleeping bag!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heck Phil there are limits :D

Actually, I got a deal on the whole Nanok system once. BB always uses the -25 from late autumn through to mid spring. Her attitude is "I'll open it up if I'm too warm - I hate being cold"

Makes a lot of sense to me! I have (once) needed the 0 degree over the -10, but only once.

But then I hate being zipped right up same as BB does

Red

xylaria

British Red said:
And I thought BB was the only one (she isn't sharps obsessed though - so you win on that one - Ash is making her a new skinning knife but thats "functional" ;))

I think Xylaria makes some good points though - theres more than one way to Bushcraft - BBs is much more great fireplace cookery, longer walks, less photography than mine. Don't know if its gender or just taste. I do agree with the "make sure (if you are the kit monster) that they have decent gear". Again, not a gender thing, anyone who is cold, wet or uncomfortable is unlikely to enjoy it - heck if you are trying to persuade them - lend them the best sleeping bag!

Red

I am not directly saying it is a gender thing. It is a kit marketed for women is normally terrible thing, which in turn can put some women off. It obviously doesn't put every woman off as Mrs woodsmoke proves. Torjusgs joke(?) about checking to see if your missus is female I found really offensive. No human being should have their gender questioned just because they refuse to comply with narrow mind steriotype of what they should be, I am very glad that there is people like Axecatcher that shove those steriotypes back up where they came from. In fact big chunks of this thread have got me a bit annoyed.

IF YOU WANT TO INCLUDE YOUR WIVES AND GIRLFRIENDS IN BUSHCRAFT YOU NEED TO ADDRESS THE TYPES OF BEHAVIOUR THAT MAKES THEM FEEL EXCLUDED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

This not a issue of gender it is an issue of inclusion. It is not ok to tell racist jokes because it makes people feel excluded so why is ok to tell sexist jokes.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Mine didn't need much converting :) She's already a bit of a bush babe but does like to be in a tent rather than under a tarp.

Our first date was spent making spoons in a local woods and a few days ago she accepted my invitation to marrage :D
Only problem now is that she has claimed my spare Frost knife as her own :rolleyes:
Can't really complain though because she is quite happy for me to go and buy a new canoe even though we need to be thinking about the wedding and a new house. (In fact she was talking about an engagement present for me :approve: )
I guess I'm just a really lucky guy :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE