Bushcrafting Abroad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
I have heard of some of you guys who have gone abroad and done bushcrafting. How do you get your gear to the other country? i.e. knife

jakunen

Native
Best way is to wrap it in towels in the centre of your hold luggage and to declare it.

Speak to the airline first if you're worried so you can print the e-mail or take the letter telling you to do this.

I'll be doing exactly this for the Bearclaw Vildmark! course to Sweden in June.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
jakunen said:
Best way is to wrap it in towels in the centre of your hold luggage and to declare it.

Speak to the airline first if you're worried so you can print the e-mail or take the letter telling you to do this.

I'll be doing exactly this for the Bearclaw Vildmark! course to Sweden in June.

Where are you guys here in Sweden? Would be nice to put some faces to the forum names?

cheers
Abbe

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've brought alsorts home from Abroad on planes and never had a problem....as Jakunen says "in your hold luggage", that's the key. I haven't bothered to declare the items but I never carry anything in my hand luggage or on my person....not even nail clippers and if asked be totally honest right from the start..."Yes Officer, I have a large axe in my suitcase" :lol: Seriously, tell them what you've got and why and most of them will be cool with it....after all it's not illegal to carry or have these items.
Jakunen's idea to call first is a good one but I've never bothered myself.

I brought a double set of Japaneese swords home from Amsterdam, just wrapped in newspaper and put in the hold and they came through fine, nobody seemed bothered at all.

It's horses for courses I think, I came through LHR, Dallas FW 3 times, Tuscan AZ, Orlando FL, Miami FL and Barbados last June with a spiderco and a 4" Bushcraft type knife in my case (the one I keep in my possibles pouch - see my gallery) and although security was very tight and my wife and I were randomly picked out for extra searches at Miami I had no trouble whatsoever.
I wasn't even asked about them.
On the other hand I had a toy gun taken off me flying up to Scotland with my mum and dad many many years ago when I was about 6.....wouldn't have been so bad but there wasn't the hype then and the gun was bright orange and clearly a toy!

jakunen

Native
bambodoggy said:
On the other hand I had a toy gun taken off me flying up to Scotland with my mum and dad many many years ago when I was about 6.....wouldn't have been so bad but there wasn't the hype then and the gun was bright orange and clearly a toy!

A similar thing happened a few months ago and even made the papers when some MP said it was taking things too far. Only to be called irresponsible...:?:

As for contacting the airlines, I just prefer to err on the side of caution having got into trouble at Gatwick when I had a zippo lighter (didn't work) in the shape of a bullet on my key ring. Had it for years, forgot it was on the key ring...
I declared it coming back from Croatia and the guy looked at me as if I was mad and asked me "How dangerous it could be? Could I throw it hard enough to kill someone? Have a nice flight sir!".

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've never had problems, although I have had luggage searched several times. Once a suspicious Customs official thought my bearskin was illegal but his supervisor said it was no problem, so that was OK. I have found that they have no problem with knives so long as they aren't on the plane. Although some scummy crook from Ryanair is now in posession of a beautiful handmade knife of mine... as well as the rest of my luggage :rant:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't had trouble with knives in hold luggage, even when the bag has been searched (I get "randomly selected rather a lot :?: ). Things like stove fuel might be more of a problem.

I do sometimes wonder about the sanity of the airport security types. A friend, who was a Second Officer at the time, told me that a 747 Captain wasn't allowed his Leatherman Scissors on board...and he would do what with them? When I was in Atlanta there was a big display of things you couldn't take on board...12V car batteries, road flares, and chainsaws must me more of a problem down there!

jakunen

Native
Chris, I've seen similar in Detroit. I was amazed at the things you're not allowed to take in your hand luggage - live scorpions, chain strommers...

Interestingly, last time I was there security was really tight, they were stopping everyone and practically strip searching people, but I was just waved through with a smile and a nod.
Couldn't find my way out of the damn airport - small beige sign, on a beige plaque on a beige wall saying 'Exit to Detroit'. Had to ask a state trooper(?) also in beige leaning against the beige wall...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jakunen said:
A similar thing happened a few months ago and even made the papers when some MP said it was taking things too far. Only to be called irresponsible...:?:

As for contacting the airlines, I just prefer to err on the side of caution having got into trouble at Gatwick when I had a zippo lighter (didn't work) in the shape of a bullet on my key ring. Had it for years, forgot it was on the key ring...
I declared it coming back from Croatia and the guy looked at me as if I was mad and asked me "How dangerous it could be? Could I throw it hard enough to kill someone? Have a nice flight sir!".

Yer, I remember that...maybe it's a slightly fairer point now after 9/11 but when I was stopped it was 24 years ago! Guy was just being an pain!

I've often wondered how easy it would be to hold up a plane full of people with a pair of nailclippers...."Fly us to XXXX or I'll snip your wife's French Manicure off"!!!!!! :naughty:
IMO...it's just to make people "feel" safer....if I wanted to get something sharpe on a plane I'd go for a plastic/resin blade, the type that curls up inside your belt but when it springs open it's a stabbing weapon....and doesn't show up on as metal detector arch or handheld.

Wups....off topic now. This is not a how to guide to hijacking!!! Sorry all...

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Just be aware that it depends where you travel to, i.e. in Southern Africa, do not take any item that looks as if it is military in origin, and never never use camo clothing, this is illegal in Zimbabwe: in many other parts of Africa, the only people who wear uniforms are in the military and you will get arrested. Knives etc tend to be expensive items over there and therefore highly prized, other weapons more so, get a letter from the embassy concerned giving you permission to carry the item: that makes officials at road blocks think they could wind up in trouble if they step out of line.

I generally have never had trouble with customs other than the usual bribes that have to be paid at land borders, putting on an Afrikaans accent tends to drop the amount you have to pay substantially!

Greg

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
My wife recently returned from Sebu, Phillippines, and I had asked her to try to find me a balisong. Well, it's the same style, but when opened out, the thing she bought is the size of a small broadsword!!?!! Along with the FIVE other blades she bought me (only 2 of which are at all practical) including a "samurai sword", on arrival at the airport, Sebu security (my husband collects them !?##!) duct taped the sword and the small case containing 5 assorted blades, and slapped "security" stickers on everything, which meant when Cairo customs saw the stickers, she was waved straight through...
Some years ago, returning to the UK from Nigeria, we had checked in at Murtallah Mohammed airport, when I remembered my 2yr-old son had a silver plastic "Highway Patrol" .38 revolver somewhere about his person. When asked, he pulled it out his waistband and handed it to me. On proffering said toy to the man behind the counter, he instantly hit the floor, and the "security" guy about 12 feet away, ran off down the corrider with his Uzi still slung over his shoulder.......
Just my 10p worth.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi all

I have an Alan Wood Woodlore knife and when flying it travels in the hold wrapped up in a tightly bound sleeping bag, the idea being that if anyone in loading the plane manages to get into the pack, my smelly old buffalo bag isnt something they will want to rake through.

However...

Two years ago I spent a month walking in Turkey, at the end of my time there I arrived at Istanbul airport and was stopped by the police before I even entered the terminal, "open the bag" the scary bloke with mirror sunglasses said, I did, "open everything" he demanded, first aid kits, wash bags, and ultimately my sleeping bag were emptied onto the floor...

The scary bloke stands holding my Alan Wood Knife and my hardwood walking staff, he looks at me... he nods at a subordinate who scribbles out a receipt, "you will get these back in Amsterdam!"

I really wasnt in a state to argue and said good bye to my stuff.

Strangely enough! when I arrived at Amsterdam, both Knife and staff were waiting for me...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Funny old world isn't it SandyB.....I'd have thought the same and have done on occasion....and been really ashamed I thought that when proved wrong!

Still....I've been proved right too! :roll:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I always put my knife in hold luggage but last year coming back from the Alps through Geneva my luggage was over the limit (travelling with a mountain bike is a pain!) so the very nice lady at the KLM desk said I could take my holdall as an extra piece of hand luggage and not pay an excess. Dead chuffed I was until I went through security, dumped my backpack and holdall on the conveyor belt and watched them go through the X-ray machine only to realise that my FAK with a pair of scissors and my 4" fixed blade were in there :yikes: ! Thing is they didn't even notice :?:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I just flew into Brazil this morning (I live here) with...

Becker BK-7
Ontario Machete
3 tactical folders
2 Newt Livesay neck knives
Cold Steel Bushman
Mini-Bushman
3 Frost's Mora SWAK
1 Mora Clipper
1 Mora #1

They didn't show any intrest a all. Mac

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Pict said:
I just flew into Brazil this morning (I live here) with...

Becker BK-7
Ontario Machete
3 tactical folders
2 Newt Livesay neck knives
Cold Steel Bushman
Mini-Bushman
3 Frost's Mora SWAK
1 Mora Clipper
1 Mora #1

They didn't show any intrest a all. Mac

I think they were probably too scared to say anything to you! :eek:):

N

newtlivesay

G'day;
I fly all over South & Central Amercia and everywhere I go I carry cutlery. When leaving the United States I put my machete or other knives in my bag wrapped in a plastic bag, and then protected by my clothes. I ALWAYS DECLARE any weapons that I might have in my transit, and have never had one problem. I have cutomers who carry my products world wide and I do not know of anyone right off that has ever had their knives confiscated.

I try to travel with a plain Oak Walking-Cane when I go South, and normally give it to a friend when I leave their country. I never seem to have any trouble giving one of my fighting canes away. I have only been questioned once while gettting on the plane. After about three minutes of intense chatter I sat down with my OAK CLUB. :)

Thanks,

Newt Livesay

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Newt,

It's good to see you here on the board. I hope things are going well for you.

I have my NRGS set up as a survival knife with a thin rubber sleeve over the sheath. It makes a great bushcrafter and companion to a machete. I've been carrying it for about a year now and have nothing but good times with it. This past year I carried it on a hunt to Alaska and actually skinned a Lynx with it. (200 meter shot on a running animal in twilight darkness and rising fog, don't ask me to repeat the shot!)

Anyway it's good to see you're "getting out" a little. I'm sure you'll have lots of good stuff to contribute here. Mac

Pict (AKA Ponto Final)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE