Bushcrafting Abroad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Hmmm some ****** from Stansted Airport relieved me of my Leatherman Wave last September. I had put it in one of the outer pockets of my ruck

Lesson Learned! :roll:

I'm sure (as has been mentioned) that if you put your sharps deep inside your luggage thieves who use the latest security guidelines to take peoples expensive gear wont bother as it would be too time consuming to get at.

I'm probably coming over all cynical, but they have reps comming round the airport reminding people to make sure all sharps are in your hold luggage. Only to follow that advice and lose it anyway.

Rant over!

Going forward

Mrs took pity and didn't moan none when my bro picked up a charge Ti for 100 bucks in a hardware store in NYC USA worked out to be about 55 quid.

Get in there :lol:

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I am confused at what you can and can't take on board aircraft. When I lived in Germany, I once took back to the UK on a trooping flight a pair of continental headlights for my car which was still in the UK at the time. The security guard queried this with her supervisor. Quite what they expected me to do on the plane with them I do not know - this was nearly two years before 9/11 so I was able to take my SAK in my pocket.

You hear stories on the media about people being arrested for taking "weapons" in hold luggage. I take that to mean knives. They may be tools to us, but you can just imagine how some lazy hack, fed a line by the press officer of the local police, would describe a bushcrafter's tools as an "arsenal" of "lethal knives, axes and other weaponry". :?:

Am I right in thinking that basically, if you check your sharps in your hold luggage it is at your own risk, from confiscation by security/theft by baggage handlers?

Best wishes

Bruce

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I think customs use a bit of common sense when it comes to knives in your luggage. If you are carrying an unusual number and size of knifes and axes along with sleeping bag, outdoor clothes, cook set and (much more worrying to airlines) a number of forms of wired and wonderful fire lighting items they are more likely to let you continue on your journey with little hindrance.

Were as if you are returning from a Ibiza carrying no more than a few pairs of shorts, your clubbing clobber, beach towels and some STD your are more likely to be questioned about that 13inch bowie Knife stashed with your dirty underwear.

Use Common sense and if anyone asks tell the truth. Remember we have the strictest weapon laws in the world so if you keep within our laws you should not have many problems in your travels.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Taken from: http://www.baa.co.uk/main/general/baa/airport_travel_and_security_tips_frame.html

"No sharp objects may be carried in your hand luggage. Sharp objects found in hand luggage will be confiscated and you may be liable to prosecution if you do not comply with these requirements. The following items may not be carried onto the plane - if you are in any doubt please check with your airline or pack such items in your hold baggage. Please note - confiscated items can not normally be returned to you."

I would also suggest that anything in your hand luggage is either locked in or as a minimum, very hard to get at.

Cheers

Joe

N

newtlivesay

Hello Mac;
I thought that might have been you with the living in Brazil post. I was in your capitol for about 16 hours in September but couldn't get out or look around. I flew back up to Quito, Ecuador for a day and was sitting back at home on Monday morning at 1035 hrs. Long trip, tiring but worth the weekend.

Mac I am glad you like the NRGS as it is one of the nicest little knives we make. I have a number NRGS knives going out too the UK next week to fill back-orders there.

I think customs use a bit of common sense when it comes to knives in your luggage. If you are carrying an unusual number and size of knifes and axes along with sleeping bag, outdoor clothes, cook set and (much more worrying to airlines) a number of forms of wired and wonderful fire lighting items they are more likely to let you continue on your journey with little hindrance.
Adi Fiddler I have to agree with you, customs can be a little troubling, but some common sense on their part and your attitude will go a long way in getting through the system in timely and civil manner.

Newt Livesay

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Newt,

You should get to Brazil sometime. We have some world class wilderness, and not all of it is in the Amazon.

My only regret witht he NRGS is that I got the cord wrapped handle. It works great but I've had to re-do the wrap several times due to blood and fat. I know, I know, it just lends the knife character but in the tropics you pay for that, especially with a neck knife!

I have a rubber sleeve stretched over the kydex. Under the rubber rides a BSA hotspark, wetfire tinder, Potassium Permanganate, button compass, needle & #4 waxed line, signal mirror, and an Inova night vision red LED. I place the LED at the bottom with its lamp poked out under the rubber facing down. Its very handy to have the light hanging there around the neck. To use it you only have to squeeze the rubber cover.

On the outside I have a whistle hanging from the double loop of paracord. The whistle prints on a T-shirt and lifts the fabric away from the knife. Thus everyone can see you have a whistle around your neck under the shirt and nobody guesses that there is a whole neck knife survival system there as well.

The NRGS set up this way serves my purposes for my location perfectly. I've carried it this way in PA, Alaska, and now Brazil and I'm hooked. Mac

N

newtlivesay

G'day Mac;
Hey if you ever get a chance to do a digital photo or two of the set up fire it off to me so we can post it on the site. If you want a NRGS-Ex model with micarta handle scales fire me off a good mailing address and I will get you one to play with down there and give me some test results. I have some back orders to fill right now on NRGS Ex, but I will get you one to try out in about 30 days, OK?

Thanks Mac, and I might take you up on the wilderness in Brazil later this year.

Newt

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
gillmacca said:
I have heard of some of you guys who have gone abroad and done bushcrafting. How do you get your gear to the other country? i.e. knife

I havent read all the replies here but if I repeat anything - sorry.

We all hear sorrys about people having to give up this or that to customs when flying but I think (with one or two exceptions) this is simply down to the stupidity of the individual. A little common sense goes a long way as the customs/securtiy people arent out to get you - they are actually on your side and dont want people hijacking planes or loading on a potential explosive devise.

This said the simple rule is pack anything you dont want to lose in your hold luggage. Sharps will be ok in there, stoves empty of fuel will be ok to. Well at least thats my experience, I have always packed like this and never had a problem anywhere.

If your unsure declare the knive and let the airline carry it for you - you will be able to collect it at the other end (usually from the airlines check-in desk.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
When I was on leave from my mission in Bosnia I brought my Fallkniven F1 with me along in the carry on bag. In Sarajevo it was no worry what so ever (I even brought the Glock past security several times). When I got to Munich and managed to get outside the security zone I had to check in again and some customs person were somewhat worried about my knife. After showing the SFOR ID and explaining why I was travelling he replied "so you are military, ok. Dont take it out on the plane" When I were to go back from Sweden the security at Landvetter went ballistic so my nice F1 arrived a day late to Sarajevo in a small paper box. The most crazy thing though was when 25 swedish soldiers had to walk through the security check at Eagle Base in Bosnia, we had to place our Glocks and 5,56 assault rifles and knives and stuff through the X-ray.
Were they afraid that we were trying to hide a gun inside the gun?
We got all the weapons back just on the other side of the x-ray thinghy. Why do the check anyway.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Personally, when I going abroad I take a mora and a cheap multitool in hold luggage, rather than an expensive knife or Leatherman: same utility, but much less regret if they are stolen. I typically hide any items of this kind among dirty laundry.

The only country you may run into problems even with stuff in hold baggage, is when departing Israel, where you will not be allowed to carry a knife past the initial security checks (which take place in the zone before checkin). Swiss Army knives are fine, though.

On arrival, the line I always use if questioned, is "I am here to spend some time exploring <country name>, the <mountains/beaches/forests> here are the most beautiful places in the world, you know". It never hurts to suck up to the customs officer (and it is all true, besides).

Edit: spelling

BOD

Kirruth said:
Personally, when I going abroad I take a mora and a cheap multitool in hold luggage
Edit: spelling

Easier to buy a knife locally .

I found a Mora in Perth WA for $15 AUS which I used on a course with Bob Cooper (who I would recommend to anyone who wants to do Aussie bushcraft while out here on holiday and especially if they wanted to travel in the outback by themselves)

Now I have to try and get it back home after the trip!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Not sure how it is now, but a few years ago a couple of us had to fly to New York to pick up a prisoner. I was surprised they allowed us to carry our guns on the plane (in shoulder holsters), with no questions asked. The funny thing was - they confiscated my partner's folding knife.

It arrived at our department a month later in a manilla envelope.

PG

BOD

Wayland said:
Ha...You should try flying with a sword, two axes, a scamaseax, a hadseax and a bag of chainmail. That really causes problems.

Interestingly the only item we have ever lost was a sword that we declared and handed to the airline with a reciept.

I'm sure the scanner had a nervous breakdown. What's a scamaseax?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This is a scramaseax.

borgknife.jpg

borg_knife.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE