Bushcrafters Hiking Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2008
Weston Super Mare
Thought I would share with the forum my hiking stick. I have had alot of positive feed back from everyone who has seen it.

Firstly this is a strong stick. At the bottom I have fitted a metal tube which I have flattened so I can use it as a spade. Good for digging up edible roots, prising out flint, making sparks on flint if needed. Also helps with grip by digging in.

I have hollowed out the top, and bound it with a leather thong. The feathers are just for decoration. In the cap I have inserted a button compass. The tube inside is from a drill bit case that I have cut down.

Inside the kit are antiseptic wipes, plasters, cotton wool pad x2 covered with vaseline (will ignite from a spark and burn for a fair amount of time), the inside flint from a Clipper lighter, snare wire, a fishing kit (line, hooks - already tied x2, shot, swivel, clips, beads, a needle with stong cotton wrapped around it, a scapel, for water puirfication tablets - enough for 4 liters of water.

I have used this type of stick for several years but have only recently thought about making the survival kit in the handle.

I hope you like the idea. Any feed back of improvements would be greatly received.

I have photos to share but I do not know how to add them to my post. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. I have photobucket if that helps.

Sean

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
That sounds awesome - I wouldn't mind one of those myself! Multipurpose..
For pictures all you have to do is copy and paste the url or your picture, press the little square yellow/grey button with a mountain on it (hovering over it it says 'Insert image') and paste the url in there :)

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Pics posted for sean silver fox of his survival stick
cheers
bernie

P1020101.jpg

P1020100.jpg

P1020099.jpg

P1020102.jpg

P1020103.jpg

P1020105.jpg

May 24, 2008
Weston Super Mare
Thank you for the compliment. I have not thought about selling one because I only make them out of things I find. Total cost to me £zero.

If you really want me to make one for you I will but the cost will be depending on what I can find and what I need to buy. Would you also want me to make the survival kit up as well.If any one has any ideas what else I could use for the center tube I would be greatful.

As for making the stick yourself. the top of the stick was hollowed out with a spade drill bit approx 33mm. The leather strap I cut of the palm of an old leather glove. Start at the edge of the palm or other piece of leather and keep cutting around the edge to the center. You'll end up a leather strip about 2-3 meters in length.

The kit in side. The tube is from the outer case from a drill bit that I found at work. And the contents I have made up from thing around the house and my other kit.

The stick I harvetested fro a newly fallen tree in the woods.

The stick in the photos is only about 1 year old but my original stick is now 7 years old and still strong.

I may put a video on youtube on how to make one. I'll keep you informed if I do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE