Bushcrafters beware

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe we should have a bad trades sticky in the classifieds.

Not naming any names but rather just a link to the sales and swaps that went sour, a couple of minutes of detective work soon gives you the culprit.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The huge majority of people on here are great to deal with and genuinely upstanding people, so lets try not to blow this out of proportion. BB has someone that is well known for joining the forum under different aliases and building up a genuine rep before hitting people for goods. It may very well be this same gentleman who operating under different usernames. He joins on dial-up, so ISP tracking is difficult.

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
Sorry to hear that blackfeather, that really sucks. This site seems to have such a great community and people seem so helpful that it's a shame that some people abuse this trust.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
... soft name and shame, by asking if any one has heard of any reason why "insert name" might not be able to reply to my pm as i have traded this for this and having posted my trade haven't received theres...

I think this would be a very nicely measured course of action.

In terms of prevention, are there any 'standard' methods of minimizing exposure to this method of theft (whilst still benefitting from 'swaps')?

Gavmar

Life Member
Jan 24, 2010
Dagenham Essex
I'm not being cute gavmar, but if some one is buying from u - you don't send anything till u have the cash in your hand.
I agree with you. I can't believe I done it. He PM'ed me the next morning after he said he would take it, and said he had posted the cash, did I post the axe.
As I was going to the post office I just posted it, this situation never crossed my mind.
As already has been said, I just presume that everyone on here are good people. I have done a lot of selling and buying on the forum and never had no problems.

Last edited:

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
I know of a name and shame thread on another forum and sad to say there are several well known members here whose names featurw in regard to stuff or payment not turning up or the item not being as described! Some appear to be repeat offenders as well so the act of refraining from naming and shaming here merely facilitates them confinuing to rip people off!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Maybe we should have a bad trades sticky in the classifieds.

Not naming any names but rather just a link to the sales and swaps that went sour, a couple of minutes of detective work soon gives you the culprit.

Only problem with that is a lot of goods are asked for via PM so you never see who actually had the item.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Could there be a way of confirming that transactions went smoothly etc. Some sort of personal reliability monitor attached go forum profiles.....so that everyone can see how reliable someone is, both supplying or receiving. Could just be a tick against the name or something. Evil bay has something like that i understand.

Might be a programming nightmare though. What do i know about such things?...diddly squat...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I know of a name and shame thread on another forum and sad to say there are several well known members here whose names featurw in regard to stuff or payment not turning up or the item not being as described! Some appear to be repeat offenders as well so the act of refraining from naming and shaming here merely facilitates them confinuing to rip people off!

Link? That is allowed, I'm sure.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
mine was'nt a purchase , it was send stuff in the promise too make something for me , and not a thing sent back /// as i say bad news ....

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
There is a system built into most forum software I believe where members get the opportunity to praise fellow members and you therefore amass points for all manner of things positive.....more points should mean a member is more reliable - whether that proves to be true or not I wouldn't like to guess.

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
If someone is robbing forum members they should be named early, and if like has been said they have good reason for the delay and lack of contact, plus made good the deal then fair do's but if not then banned.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There is a system built into most forum software I believe where members get the opportunity to praise fellow members and you therefore amass points for all manner of things positive.....more points should mean a member is more reliable - whether that proves to be true or not I wouldn't like to guess.

We no longer have that on here. To be honest, it doesn't really work anyway, as BB has proven.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
That seems to be borne out elsewhere as well - but in its absence and the absence of a name and shame policy how do you tell whether you are dealing with a trustworthy individual or not? I appreciate there are no guarantees but trust appears to be not enough.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That seems to be borne out elsewhere as well - but in its absence and the absence of a name and shame policy how do you tell whether you are dealing with a trustworthy individual or not? I appreciate there are no guarantees but trust appears to be not enough.

There can never be a 100% guarantee.

I understand Tony and the Mods reluctance to get involved, they are not the police and the trade and classifieds are at our risk and offered on the forum purely as an option that we wanted. If the forum owners had to get involved in every dispute, it would certainly become tiresome for them. I'd say that 99% of all trade and sales here are very good, and these incidents are in the minority.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
I appreciate all of those points - I only mentioned the points system as a known method of scoring individuals in a forum enviroment as a response to the previous poster. I certainly don't suggest its the answer - and as I said I also appreciate there are no guarantees in any case. Still, its a shame and yet another example of the few tainting an otherwise pleasant arrangement.

cheers

tel

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I think BB'S feedback system is a good one, I have had 2 not so wonderful deals recently one on here where I gave a decent member some knife handle scales in return I would get some Rat pack deserts, they never turned up. I bought a knife on BB a few weeks ago the seller wanted cash only and had no feedback points, I told him I would give him cash but he had to send the knife first (I have a reasonably high feedback score) he declined and reluctantly took payment via paypal, when the knife arrived it was in good condition but the handle scales were coming away from the tang, not a problem for me to fix but I sent him a PM saying he should have mentioned it but he has not been on BB since I paid! what a turd!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE