Bushcrafters beware

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Maybe it should become standard practice to follow every trade, even if done by Pm, by posting on the trade thread - "sold to forum name/real name"

That way, both parties are Publicly named in the deal. If the deal seems to have gone sour, post in the thread a gentle reminder, again in the public domain.

It seems that these scammers rely on the good nature of others both in the original deal & in not publicly naming them after - make it out in the open from the start & it may deter many of the offenders - maybe.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've so far had no issues with swaps actually turning out to be "false" though there are times when the other party has not exactly rushed to the post office, and I've been left wondering if I've been bumped or not.

The items have always turned up in the end but once or twice, only after repeated reminders.

I no longer accept cash for anything I sell on here, unless its a face to face sale.
I've had quite a few folk wanting to send cash through the post, but three times( in about three years), it's gone missing in transit.

The third time was the finish for me.
The customer sent his payment RMRD and it still went missing!
From what he told me, the post office weren't interested in the case, until it was at least a couple of weeks or so overdue.Now whether it was stolen or genuinely lost, I've no idea, but by that time of course,if it was stolen, who ever had stolen the cash had completely covered their tracks!

I'd say NEVER send or accept cash through the post and don't deal with ANYONE who asks for cash payment, except in face to face dealings.

cheers

R.B.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
not to state the ovious but if you have his address you could always go to their house and knock on the door and ask what the problem was if its not to far from where you live oviously. yea dont do cash rather do postal orders in the persons name if i send a postal order i always pay for the next day garenteed delivery i know it cost more but i like the asurance that it will get their.

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
In terms of prevention, are there any 'standard' methods of minimizing exposure to this method of theft (whilst still benefitting from 'swaps')?

On the Vintagerolexforum where there are lots of trades going on they have a very simple and effective method which could easily be employed here.

Members create a post asking for seller references from other members, even if the person selling or wanting to trade has not done much trading many of the members there, as here, know each other personally and can give assurance that the person is trustworthy.

Wattle

Forager
Nov 6, 2008
Scunthorpe
www.ncgl.org
I have had a problem with a guy who I traded with, I am still waiting for my goods and it has at least been 18 months. I have traded quite a lot on here and other sites, but this is the first problem I have had. I have contacted numerous times, each time he asks for my address again, but nothing ever turns up.

I have not seen him on the net for a few months, so I don't know if he is working away, or has he changed his name?

Anyway I am not bothered about upsetting him so I will name and shame him, his name is "Wolf-Diver".

Phil

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Maybe it should become standard practice to follow every trade, even if done by Pm, by posting on the trade thread - "sold to forum name/real name"

That way, both parties are Publicly named in the deal. If the deal seems to have gone sour, post in the thread a gentle reminder, again in the public domain.

It seems that these scammers rely on the good nature of others both in the original deal & in not publicly naming them after - make it out in the open from the start & it may deter many of the offenders - maybe.

I think that is a good idea, also as the person initiating the trade I wouldnt think wrong to hold onto the goods untill the persons item\s who has replied to the offer arrives at your door, if that makes sense,

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
i am in the middle of doing a trade at the moment and am unsure about posting my stuff, but as the person lives in swansea, i feel its the only way around it, just a bit weary of people and dont wanna end up losing stuff that someone else could use

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I think the people should be named. Fair enough..there may be a valid reason for any delay but i know that I would be fairly angry if i did a swap with someone when another party already had suspisions that the person was either a theif or unreliable. We should be watching eachothers backs. Im not suggesting a witch hun...just valis information to make sure no one else gets stung. There people rely on us NOT saying anything for fear of being wrong...DONT let them win ........ NAME THEM AND BAN THEM !!!!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If a deal goes sour, I can't for the life of me see what's wrong with posting the facts in the thread which prompted the deal. I do mean the facts. Not character assassinations, emotional rants and suppositions. If you agreed with someone that he would exchange something with you, whether it be money or goods, and the other party didn't live up to the agreement, then I think firstly we should all know about it and secondly the non-performing party should have an opportunity to explain.

I for one would feel a lot more comfortable about dealing with unknown people here if I knew that this would happen if a deal went sour.

If all else fails, if you have the other party's name and address you can take him to the Small Claims Court. After all, a contract is a contract.

Last edited:

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
If someone doesn't pay you should name and shame to protect other forum members, a few forums I use say all trades must be done in thread no pms just to keep everything in the open

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
If a deal goes sour, I can't for the life of me see what's wrong with posting the facts in the thread which prompted the deal. I do mean the facts. Not character assassinations, emotional rants and suppositions. If you agreed with someone that he would exchange something with you, whether it be money or goods, and the other party didn't live up to the agreement, then I think firstly we should all know about it and secondly the non-performing party should have an opportunity to explain.

I for one would feel a lot more comfortable about dealing with unknown people here if I knew that this would happen if a deal went sour.

If all else fails, if you have the other party's name and address you can take him to the Small Claims Court. After all, a contract is a contract.
here, here, i could not have put it better me self, if some one rips me of on here lads, i will be the first to let you all no, as i think you are a great bunch of lads on here, and that's the way i would like it to stay, as it only takes one to upset the applecart, god i hate thieves, and ripoff merchants, this site could do with out those.
take care lee.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've had two problems on this forum, 1st was an expensive stove, the asked if he could pay at the end of the month, so no problem I posted it and guess what? It never turned up, so @ £80 gone (the member faded away too just about the same time) and second was a parafinn heater, again never turned up. My fault in a way for not sending recorded delivery something I do now as a matter of common sense.

Lesson learnt, sent signed for only in this day and age and when I'm sending overseas its courier service only.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Hey come on everyone it is important to name the person on the site if they have breeched the code of honasty or the site does`nt work properly message him to the fact if he has not come through on his part by [a certain date] he will be reported to the powers to be,guard the good people here

Gavmar

Life Member
Jan 24, 2010
Dagenham Essex
I've just removed this. He is 14 years old, I just found out. I'll write a letter to his parents I think probably that's the way to go. Thanks Graham.
I spoke to him about 9 days later via pm he was just messing me about, it's just an axe it's not the end of the world.

Last edited:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I was part of the 'Clikstand' group-buy a few years ago and ended up with a spare. This was sent to me by mistake and neither party, sender nor receiver, knew that this had come to my then address. I watched the posts as I had no idea whom this was supposed to be sent to and eventually the recipient put his hand up and I sent a PM to say that I had the goods. Ahjno eventually received this item! Lucky chap. I have lost mine in moving house!
My moral to this is what has also been mentioned, in that the fellow had been ill and unable to get on the 'pooter. Just bear in mind genuine mistakes. It would be a shame to be unpleasant for a genuine mistake.
Swyn.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
I sold a GB wildlife axe. No money, No Pm's. I warned him and warned him. What happens in a situation like this would it be classed as theft by the police.

no you took the risk iam afraid its your problem, the scary thing is hes probaly came back to the forum in a diffrent name:(
ive been lucky in swap shop ive swaped alot of things
and have had no problems. i only swap now with people who have friends on here and have been known to the site a while ,how far does he live from you you got hes address thats the main thing

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE