Bushcraft v.s Ultralight backpacking - Food - Cold Storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This works as well as an expensive drier I have

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/hou...ccating_appliances/193811-food_dehydrator.htm

It will pay for itself in very few trips with the money saved on shop bought dried meals.

I use frozen vegetables for drying, they are ready prepped, often cheaper than fresh, and often fresher than veg thats been sitting on a shelf a few days and lost a lot of goodness. If you grow your own then use those.

I make dried minced beef or 'Hamburger rocks' as they are known in America differently to British Red, I dry fry the mince, drain in a colander and rinse the fat off with boiling water before drying. Lean chicken breast dries well and of course you can make jerky; but remember jerky is mostly fat free, its a high protein meal so its not a great single food and needs to be balanced with other food in your diet.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Richard,

That's a very good price on the dryer! Cheers mate.

Found a recipe for Hamburger Rocks, sounds like its close to your way. They say after rinsing put them in the oven on a 200F heat to finish. Can they be put in the dryer instead?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, but they are so tiny that they fall through the drier grill - they are better in a baking tray in the oven - they end up fine gravel size!

Red

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Lamper
What is wrong with using the same food as your day's as a lightweight backpacker?
Most people that want to practice bushcraft have a fixed camp so they can take plenty of catering equipment and there are several members present. If you really want to take less kit then maybe you should forage and trap your own food.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I used to eat dehydrated meals, boil in a bag, etc, but whenever I see a picture on here, its seem to be a short walk from the car. I'm not haivng a go, I love the idea of dutch ovens etc, but I was hoping more bushcraft would lead me to less kit.

That may just be because people don't take lots of photos when they're doing longer trips. I can't speak for anybody else, but if I'm thinking about weight, the first thing to go is the camera. :)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I think bushcraft cookery on the move is an interesting challenge in being lightweight but still eating well. Some freeze-dried meals aren't that bad, but taste miles better with some fresh bannock or chapatis. They'd probably taste even better with some wild greens, or meat, but these are usually beyond my skills/ time constraints.

I'm a fairly basic forager so additional flavourings rarely stretch beyond nettles or hedge garlic. I do always carry some chilli powder, dried herbs, S+P which will liven up any offering. This is especially useful when it's cold and your tastebuds aren't working too well.

Cous cous is a great food that doesn't need simmering. I pre-season mine with dried chillis, coriander etc.

Risotto is a great warm hug of a meal, but you need to have time to kill and plenty of wood. Dried posh mushrooms from Tesco make it a really tastey meal.

While I'm on the move I keep topped up (binge) on dried nuts, fruit and seed mix.

On the subject of the packs you mention. I've found that on UL packs the first thing to go seems to be a sound back system. I think the 500g extra weight vanishes when it's properly supported on your hips and the heavier bushcraft extras of axe, knife, saw etc. make this a worthwhile feature.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I think bushcraft cookery on the move is an interesting challenge in being lightweight but still eating well. Some freeze-dried meals aren't that bad, but taste miles better with some fresh bannock or chapatis. They'd probably taste even better with some wild greens, or meat, but these are usually beyond my skills/ time constraints.

I'm a fairly basic forager so additional flavourings rarely stretch beyond nettles or hedge garlic. I do always carry some chilli powder, dried herbs, S+P which will liven up any offering. This is especially useful when it's cold and your tastebuds aren't working too well.

Cous cous is a great food that doesn't need simmering. I pre-season mine with dried chillis, coriander etc.

Risotto is a great warm hug of a meal, but you need to have time to kill and plenty of wood. Dried posh mushrooms from Tesco make it a really tastey meal.

While I'm on the move I keep topped up (binge) on dried nuts, fruit and seed mix.

On the subject of the packs you mention. I've found that on UL packs the first thing to go seems to be a sound back system. I think the 500g extra weight vanishes when it's properly supported on your hips and the heavier bushcraft extras of axe, knife, saw etc. make this a worthwhile feature.

You have hit my problem right on the head.

It is hard to find a balance. I'm all up for bread making etc but never tried it. I am going to give some brownies ago this weekend. Found some Sainbury mix that is "just add water". Should make 8 big brownies and weighs in at 300g.

I know what you mean abou the back system. I currently do my walking with a Berghaus Freeflow 35+8 (one with a mesh suspension back) and I love it, its just so comfy! Ideally I would get everying I need into this pack, but that will never happen in the winter.

By the way, can you recommend a good basic forager guide?

Cheers

Mike

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
The forager's pocket bible has to be Food for Free by Richard Mabey. It's quite good, but it has to be said that plant id. can be tricky from some of the pics.

It's interesting you like the Freeflow. I always assumed that suspended mesh backs would feel unstable carrying heavier overnight/ bushy kit.

I've only done a couple of Winter overnight outings, but I was surprised how little extra volume I added. An extra jumper, gloves, thermals, sleeping bag liner = about 5L? The rest of the extras get worn and I everything else is already in there for freak weather changes. Someone did mention the Annapurna circuit earlier and that might be a different kettle of fish.

<edit> just seen you sig. Everest base camp might need some extra woolies! Mind you down packs very small...

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Yeah this is not for Everest. I have a down jacket and above the snowline sleeping bag for that trek!

The free flow is actually very stable, but you can only get the mesh up to about 45 litres. In the summber (i.e. now) I can get all my stuff in there, small sleeping bag etc. But unless I want to live like a tramp and not change clothes, I can only get my kit and food for 4 days in it. No comforts, no extra clothes, no fun, and with that smell, no girls!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE