bushcraft uk in 2005

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've just been looking back at bcuk when it was younger, the old original design was well liked and so i was looking at it to see if there was anything I should be using from it as I'm working on the style of the site at the moment, anyway, I thoguth some of you might be interested to see the first incarnation of bushcraft uk :D

http://web.archive.org/web/20050313100931/http://www.bushcraftuk.com/

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi tony is the any chance of putting this somewhere where we can access it to read up on past things as it looks interesting regards dave

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
+1 for the old colours. Although I have got used to these ones the old colours for me were easier on the eye.

atb

Craig

troyka

Forager
i quite like the nav pics.. (although having txt nav is disability friendly.)
and i like the 2 columns of the original.

but as a new feature a txt size changer button thing.. and colour changer thing (java?) would be good

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I haven't got used to the new colours at all, I still really dislike them.

There used to be a feature that allowed you to choose different skins. There was a green based one that was much better and definitely easier on the eye.

Can we have it back please...
sad0025.gif

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm reminded of the story about the three blind men and the elephant.

The colour schemes really don't bother me one way or the other, but I REALLY hate it when a Website backs HTML into a corner. People often seem to want things to look like a printed page, for example like something you'd find in a Sunday magazine. It just doesn't work on a computer display. You wind up both with half the screen wasted and half the content obscured at the same time. The old version of the site is in my view a good example of falling into that trap, and the current version is much better from that point of view.

But ... HTML was designed to let people display information on whatever screen they happen to have on their desk. It has features which are designed to 'render' information in a way which is most suitable for the display(s) of the computer which it is displaying things. Unfortunately since the dotCom revulsion the point seems to have become lost, and scroll bars seem to be the norm rather than the exception. A typical thread page on BCUK uses five or even ten times as much screen real estate as it needs to, with the result that I'm at risk of repetitive strain injury just trying to read posts on the ridiculously long pages. Add to that the inordinately long download times (my browser is currently using 1.3Gigabytes of RAM!!!) and I think the main reason that more people don't just give up with it is that they've never really known anything else.

Don't spend a lot of time trying to make it look nice on your screen, because the odds are that only a small fraction of the people viewing will have a screen just like it. Look at it on a lot of screens. Try using it with a touchpad instead of a mouse. Try using it on an old, slow laptop.

Try to make it convenient for people to read things.

Try to make it LOAD FASTER.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, do you think that we should jump back ot somethign liek the origional design, but have it bigger, text easier to read etc?

Wayland, we're putting a new skin up just for you mate, should be here in the next few days...

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Damn difficult thing to do Tony. I'd prefer a whiter site like your original, looks cleaner. I find the current site a little confusing, but that's part and parcel of the vbulletin software.

My only real gripes are that when I sign in on the front page, it doesn't look like I've logged in until I open a new page or delve into the forums.

Similarly I don't know why, but the tapatalk 'latest' option doesn't seem to work. Neither have anything to do with design though!

More web 2.0, but don't sacrifice speed for design! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE