Bushcraft Toiletries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
long-tailed shirt, latex gloves, good knowledge of the surrounding flora (..ability to identify nettles and poison ivy...) and a bottle of peppermint schnapps (size according to degree of halitosis/duration of safari...)

Marko :eek:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
directdrive said:
... spaghnum moss and similar things have a tendency to leave a significant amount of themselves on my a** and don't do a remarkable job of cleaning.

Sphragnum moss in fact probably makes you cleaner than toilet paper, as it also washes you at the same time. About the things left in your a**... I usually pick them out of the hairs afterwards...

But I have pretty much always been used to do this when in the woods, it may be a little harder for people to become accustomed after many years of toilet papers.

Though it may sound strange, I actually prefer moss over toilet paper. ;) Much more comfortable.

Torjus Gaaren

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
:) Oh the joys of doing a dry/teflon poo...as opposed to a #12 which requires as many metres of bog roll to more or less tidy up the inflicted areas... :)

A friend of mine once "held it in" in winter manouvres in the arctic whilst in the army for almost two weeks...he said it was too cold! (-30c)...his abstinance ended when the px truck arrived and he devoured 12 doughnuts and 3,5 litres of fanta....what a crater!

Marko

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Stickie said:
Natural materials are all very well but they may not be available if you have to go in a hurry; especially true if your timing is bad and you have to cut your underpants off with a knife as you can't risk pulling them off down over your legs (obviously this has never happened to me, honest).

:lmao:
Have been in that situation several time. Improvise. There is always some grass, sand, bushes, snow or whatever that can be used. I wouldn't destroy a nice pair of underpants for that.

I have, on a particulary desperate occation, cut a branch and used the biggest part first and following with the thinner parts. Of course, this will not make you a 100% clean, but the snow (the only other substance available at that time) took care of the rest.

Nice story Marko, but those -30 would have felt a lot warmer if he just had taken the time to lay a cable. It is always advised to, in extreme cold, get rid of your wastes when you need to as a lot of heat is needed to keep them at body temperature.

Torjus Gaaren

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Nice story Marko, but those -30 would have felt a lot warmer if he just had taken the time to lay a cable. It is always advised to, in extreme cold, get rid of your wastes when you need to as a lot of heat is needed to keep them at body temperature.

Well, but he is a sergeant in the artillery, whereas I`m an officer in the special forces... :D

Torjus, your aversion to toilet paper seems virtually perverse... :) It sounds more like something Piirka from Borreslaget would do?

Marko :)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I seem to remeber something about applying vasaline before you go so that you wont need paper after. I like to carry a roll of paper as I find it's useful.
Other then that I carry
toothbrush and small tube of paste
deoderant stone
nail brush
small amount of soap

I gave up trying to shave if I'm carrying my kit as I seem to need to prepare well for shaves otherwise it hurts. I'm prone to missing bits as well and figure I look less silly with complete stubble then patchy.
One other thing. Don't use the alcohol hand cleaner too often, it gives you the runs

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
for soap i use horse chestnut leaves:
to get the soap, gather several "hands" and take the soft parts of the leaf leave the thick stick parts, rub it in your hands well! eventually your hands will get sticky like with normal sap, at this point add fresh water and you should find that a basic soap is aparent complete with bubbles!

i think that for ground in dirt the rubbing of the un-wetted leaf helps shift dirt!
you could add a pinch of sand!

wash everything off and you'll have clean(and antiseptic) hands!

i don't know the process but i believe conkers were used in soap production somewhere!

for loo paper, have you tried colts foot? :eek:
green and shiney one side, soft velvet the other! ;)
you know what to do! :lmao:

for shampoo?

just guessing now!
how about sqeesing the hell out of a whole bunch of horsechestnut leaves!
just use the juice chuck all the leaf residue just keep the sap!

now you just need a shower! :confused:

Conkers were used to make soap because they contain saponins which is also what makes the leaves soapy. It is also poisonous, so rinse your hands very well afterwards.

Jake.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I personally can't shave for toffee anyway so I give shaving a miss totally, client's are lucky if I shave when they visit, but as I've said before when it comes to number two's it's gucci toilet paper all the way, so don't give me all this moss is the best ;) .

As for the alcohol soap giving you the runs, I've never heard that before, maybe you're not supposed to eat it!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Pib

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Naruska said:
Well, but he is a sergeant in the artillery, whereas I`m an officer in the special forces... :D

Torjus, your aversion to toilet paper seems virtually perverse... :) It sounds more like something Piirka from Borreslaget would do?

Marko :)

Toiletpaper... :BlueTeamE :AR15firin :cussing:

No, I use it when I am in the civilisation.

I have heard that Piirka is popular in Finland as well. A very funny character indeed. Maybe like Homer Simson says: "It is funny because it is true." Are you finns like that?

Torjus Gaaren

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes: somewhere on the web is a list of gear an aussie soldier uses most you would recognise as normal things with normals uses apart from..... :confused:

meths to wash your "nether regions" ....... :yikes: :aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4: :tapedshut

woah this guy knows pain!
he also mentioned something about how it freshens you before you return to civilisation...hmm the smell of meths? :confused:

generally i tend to get sore areas where straps or clothing have rubbed especially in hot weather with a big bag.

he also carries a comb to remove "grass and insects" from his hair!
not aplicable to me but mabey for long haired types! :D

on a slightly different subject he also carries:

a couple of quid(dollars) for a can of coke after the army excercises
for a sudden caffine lift :rolleyes:

a passport type document incase he is taken to hospital or found unconsious a very good idea i reckon!

a bottle opener (for beer)because no one ever brings one!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
whilst i'm on the subject i'll tell you what i used in the army and what i use now for washing.

army
this is the standard wash in the TA 1990 kit we all was carried in a messtin in our kidney pouches(58 webbing).

all of it was unfragranced for tactical reasons
soap (half a bar wrapped in plastic bag or in a soap box).
razors (enough for the duration)( Bic were big, and triple blades were rare)toothbrush (was meant to clean gun parts too but never had to)
toothpaste (demo tubes used as travel toiletries were not common)
foot powder"talc" (to dry wet/sweaty feet)
beer towel (from pubs carlsberg good because of the green colour!)

items i used after a while
body soap (like camp soap biodegradable etc washes in sea water)
pertex towel (these were new and quick to dry,but not as nice to use)

since writing the above list it just struck me i don't remember what sort of deoderant i used i'm guessing it was a roll on or stick, probably a female sensitive skin sort due to the "un-fragranced" need.

(note we "had to" shave every day so gasmasks fitted well, we also nearly alsways had issue cam cream on which is really bad for skin and was a bugger to remove, as well as that we'd have daily inspections on personal hygine so we had to wash well even if we didn't want to!)

what i have used for years now is a kit that will fit in a trouser pocket it is carried in an x-small "exped" orange waterproof(?) fold top bag.

it contains:
camp soap (biodegradable, anti bacterial Because sometimes you need really clean hands for first aid!) i have added a drop of citronelle to one bottle so it's also a mild insect repellent
deoderant (normal deoderant decanted into a tiny pumpspray bottle)
toothbrush (travel type that fits into it's own handle for storage)
toothpaste (theramed in a truly tiny container)
twist razor (body shop) smallest razor i've found not great but it works)
pertex towels i still have the same ones(which makes them 15 years old)
Aquis adventure towel (in own plastic zip pouch) works well
earplugs (in tiny container for windy rainy nights and others snoring!)
i also in the bag is kept any daily medication perscribed as i'm forgetful it's there in front of me every time i use the kit!

this is other stuff i use but not when lightweight camping
XXL lifeventure towel (huge, fantastic, expensive(was a gift) i have used it as extra insulation on ground and my sleeping bag on cold nights!)

usually i use an old mess tin to heat the water then wash from it (like a tiny wash basin)

i am currently trying to figure out how to make a bushcraft shower! :confused: :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Showers; Platypus make an adapter that fits onto one of their bags.
I like Platypus water pouches, they seems to last me forever, don't leak and do exactly what they're supposed to :D

Hygiene:
Small screw top plastic bottle of all purpose shampoo. It's meant for hair, it does hands, etc., too just fine. Doesn't sting delicate bits and doesn't leave my skin feeling like it's been sandpapered and dried out.
Small stick de-od or an alum stone if it's *really* muggy weather.
Small baby toothbrush and toothpaste.
Comb
2 towelling flannels, in different colours. One for most bits, one for down below :rolleyes:
You don't really need a towel if you're using a flannel, it sort of dries you too.
I have a collapsible water bowl that only weighs a couple of ounces.
This system doesn't need much water and any that's left over from a brew up takes enough of the chill off to make washing pleasurable.

I play around with different leaves for washing. The ubiquitous horse chestnut is fine when it';s spring or summer, but they're a bit rarer to find in winter. Lady's mantle works well, pour hot water over mallow leaves and let them sit for a little while and that liquid works too. Birch buds make a good wash liquid and are really nice for your hair.

Cheers,
Toddy

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
pibbleb said:
As for the alcohol soap giving you the runs, I've never heard that before, maybe you're not supposed to eat it!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Pib
it seems that if you use it enough then the amount absorbed through the skin on your hands is enough. In A&E departments they have no alcohol stuff to use inbetween. I think it's only a problem if your washing your hands every 15minutes or something

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Torjus wrote...
I have heard that Piirka is popular in Finland as well. A very funny character indeed. Maybe like Homer Simson says: "It is funny because it is true." Are you finns like that?

Yes...sometimes...often...usually? :)
Sorry about the remarks earlier...on friday I was "Piirka"... :rolleyes:

Marko

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
I managed to pick up a min can of lynx deoderant at boots (35ml). It was a sample and cost me 99p. One of my best purchases ever. It is worth its weight in gold, and lives in my camping wash kit. I also have a toothbrush (sawn in 1/2), and a few of the mini containers of olive shover gel from the body shop, it smells great and keeps me clean. I sometimes take with me "magic" soap. the stuff that dries up instantly in your hands (available in superdrug), its very useful, but stings on cuts due to the high alcohol content! I use a bandanna as a flannel, and my shemagh as a towel. In the body shop they also sell mini toothpastes, about £1 each, but very handy.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
BOD said:
never use furry leaves or you will be sorry

I'd never been able to use a chemical toilet unless absolutely desperate until I found myself desperate in the Brecon Beacons and only bracken to wipe with.
I spent several days in the MRS having a small, but very painful, piece of bracken stem removed from my fundament.

Also, Boots do a roll on, unscented deodorant that lasts a few days: Mitchum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE