Bushcraft Toiletries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Phantom

Because when you're is out in the wild experiencing bushcraft it is better to travel light i was hoping that you could share your knowledge with me and tell me what you use for toiletries, eg:

• Shampoo
• Soap
• Toilet roll

I know this is a bit of a strange thread but please can you help me any way :D

thanks

Phantom

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I carry a small bar of Pine Tar soap for general washing with a small sponge in a soap tin and a small bottle of hand sanitizer for use before and after food handling.

for washing pots and pans I use ash from the fire.

I carry kitchen roll for use cleaning eating equipment and loo roll. Saves a lot of hassle and can be burnt off.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
No shampoo and soap in the field for me. After going to the toilet I wash with water and dry them with birch leaves or grass. In winter I use snow.

For toilet paper I use moist sphragnum moss (prefer that), grass or whatever is available. In winter I first use spruce branches and then snow. If there is no trees there I use snow only. The winter option is not particulary pleasant, but it does the job.

Torjus Gaaren

Wayland

Hárbarðr
torjusg said:
No shampoo and soap in the field for me. After going to the toilet I wash with water and dry them with birch leaves or grass. In winter I use snow.

For toilet paper I use moist sphragnum moss (prefer that), grass or whatever is available. In winter I first use spruce branches and then snow. If there is no trees there I use snow only. The winter option is not particulary pleasant, but it does the job.

Torjus Gaaren

And what about the birch twigs and cold plunge after the sauna :eek:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I carry simple soap it has no perfumes in it, I also carry some wet wipes, but as for toilet paper it gucci all the way. :rolleyes: The one with the bear on the advert is the best, funny but we don't use anything as soft as this at home just a creature comfirt I guess. :rolleyes:

Pib

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
for soap i use horse chestnut leaves:
to get the soap, gather several "hands" and take the soft parts of the leaf leave the thick stick parts, rub it in your hands well! eventually your hands will get sticky like with normal sap, at this point add fresh water and you should find that a basic soap is aparent complete with bubbles!

i think that for ground in dirt the rubbing of the un-wetted leaf helps shift dirt!
you could add a pinch of sand!

wash everything off and you'll have clean(and antiseptic) hands!

i don't know the process but i believe conkers were used in soap production somewhere!

for loo paper, have you tried colts foot? :eek:
green and shiney one side, soft velvet the other! ;)
you know what to do! :lmao:

for shampoo?

just guessing now!
how about sqeesing the hell out of a whole bunch of horsechestnut leaves!
just use the juice chuck all the leaf residue just keep the sap!

now you just need a shower! :confused:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I was in boots today and they had an alcohol based hand wash spray on offer for 2.99. I'll be getting a bottle of this - It's not dependent upon water and evaporates so no pollution.
i can't stand horse-chestnut. for some reason I always think it smells "poisonous"

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Wet wipes can be really useful for just about everything...and will burn if thrown on the fire. Or you can just put a bit of liquid soap of some kind in a smaller bottle to save space and use it both for washing self and dishes.

Damp sphagnum moss makes EXCELLENT toilet paper, if there is any in the area.

Birch leaves, like chestnut leaves, have saponins in them that can be used to make a lather provided you use warm water. I have washed my (long) hair using birch leaves reasonably effectively.

If you chew the end of an alder twig to separate the fibres a little bit, it can be used as a toothbrush.

Any girls reading, I haven't really found a decent substitute for sanitary towels. Suggest you go for comfort and carry in whatever you usually use. Waste can be burned or carried out.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
sam_acw said:
I was in boots today and they had an alcohol based hand wash spray on offer for 2.99. I'll be getting a bottle of this - It's not dependent upon water and evaporates so no pollution.
"
I use the Super Drug version called 'clean and dry' I think. It has a lot of alcohol in it so can be used to start a fire as well. Takes from a firesteel fairly well. 2.99 for a small bottle.

P

Phantom

im not to sure about this but can some one confirm. is it ok to brush your teeth with a shaved stick that has some ash on the end of it?

also a natural toothepaste recipe can be found by following this link below but unfortunately it is hard to make outsidewithout the equipment.

Toothpaste

cheers

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
When I recently went on my Fundamental Bushcraft course I took loads of stuff and hardly used any of it. After a week I ponged a little but you'd be amazed how quickly you get used to not having a shower/bath a day!

Essentials in my mind:-

Pampers baby wipes (non-alcohol based or they sting like :censored: ! on open cuts/sensitive bits) are great for a "pampers bath" and actually go a long way. More than 2 in a week is luxury.

Small packets of plain tissues (great for tinder too if you need it) for wiping hands, blowing noses (particularly if, like me, you catch a snotty cold!) etc

Charmin loo roll (you've got to have some luxuries and that's mine! Don't forget to burn it or bag & carry it out)

A bar of soap for washing hands thoroughly (although horse chestnut does work if you wish to supplement your soap), for shaving and if the opportunity presents itself an impromptu bath or shower. :D

I personally like to take a small scouring sponge & a tiny bottle of washing up liquidwith me just in case (hehe! :eek: ) someone may have burnt food onto the bottom of a billycan/mug etc whilst cooking.

For a longish trip I'd also take a small squeezy bottle of clothes washing liquid (1 week plus) or you really stark to stink. :bandit: I only take 1 set of clothes (the ones I'm in!) and some pants/socks for changes for a week in temperate climates, and 2 if in hotter/sweatier/wetter/colder climates.

A traditional shaving brush is also great to use with the soap for shaving (sod all the shaving gels and stuff!) and a razor (light, and tiny!)

A proper tooth brush (you can always cut it down slightly) and toothpaste. :rolleyes:

In my view there's no easier or quicker substitute to make you feel cleaner than properly washed teeth... :approve:

Bear in mind EVERYTHING I take is cut down or miniature to save weight (unless I think I'll run out, which hasn't happened so far). Mini bottles are great , like these Bottles

Bit of a ramble, I know, but...... :p

Phil

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've seen people cut their toiletries down to non existent before; during my basic training, a guy had his whole was kit inside a normal soap tin!! He used the razor blades without a handle and had the head of a toothbrush, a bit of soap and half a flannel and travel toothpaste, and that was it cut down! He had to show us how he used it because the training staff didn't believe he could use it properly, and they were right with regards to the toothbrush! :rolleyes:

I still see the extremes though, on Saif Sareea II, a young lad didn't take anything because we were on exercise. It was a three month long exercise!!! On the other hand, I've seen guys on infantry exercises with big wash bags with their going out smellies and all sorts of other rubbish!!

I think the basic toiletries required for a trip over two or three days are:

- a toothbrush and paste
- non scented soap and a flannel for normal washing
- a largish towel for drying once under your tarp before getting in your sack, after a dunking in a river or whatever
- shower gel, or if you can, concentrated soap, for a strip wash or camp shower if one is available
- nail brush, always handy

I always have a small and large plug in my wash kit as the army goes to many countries where they don't come as standard on a sink or in a bath!! If I was going anywhere near civilisation on a long trip, I would take those with me, they are invaluable!

I always take a roll of the obvious with me, every one remember during the second gulf war when the loo roll run out? I can't believe so many people didn't have any, and it happens in barracks too! Wet wipes are good too, as Confucious (probably didn't!) say "Man who goes to bed with itchy bottom, he wake up with smelly finger!"

I've probably missed something, but it does depend aswell what you are doing. If you don't want to be smelt out, it would be advisable to ditch all the stuff that has a powerful odour!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My little tip on extended trips is either a small sythetic sponge or better yet one of those nylon shower scrunchy things to replace a flannel. I find flannels constantly bagged wet honk after a few days but synthetics don't. I know we are supposed to be natural and all but a stinking flannel don't do much for me!

Also Lush do a shampoo bar the size of a small round bar of hotel soap in a metal tin for very ltlle money. Can't spill like liquid shampoo etc and works well as hand soap too

Red

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
British Red said:
Also Lush do a shampoo bar the size of a small round bar of hotel soap in a metal tin for very ltlle money. Can't spill like liquid shampoo etc and works well as hand soap too

Red

Now THAT'S a great idea...never tried it..... :D

Phil

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i have a bottle of concentrated antibacterial travel soap i take with me it does me, clothes, and sometimes dishes. plus a pack of babywipes, and a folding toothbrush/small toothpaste. and a comb.
i find that's enough. i can live without shaving for a few days

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
British Red said:

Red

The shampoo is great but I often find the lid gets stuck on the tin. :rant:

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi: The toilet paper has always been an issue with me..... I have often used organic materials one finds in the wild and none of them are suitable in my opinion. I've actually cut the sleeves off my shirt and used that. I've found that most items such as the above mentioned spaghnum moss and similar things have a tendency to leave a significant amount of themselves on my a** and don't do a remarkable job of cleaning. If the weather is good, I'll clean up with water from surf, river or lake as well as I can.

Years ago some friends of mine and I were out hunting. We met at mid-day and had a bit of lunch. Afterwards, I felt the call of nature and looked through my rucksack for my toilet paper, only to realize I'd left it in the truck some three miles away. I asked all my hunting partners if they had any and none did. I told them I was sick and tired of wiping my a** with leaves and deer moss. One of them told me to walk down the hill to the creek flowing there, find a flat rock and use it.... I informed him that the rock would do an awful job of cleaning up. Without a pause, he told me: "It ain't supposed to clean it up. It just spreads it out so it'll dry faster.....!! " :)

Good Luck! Bruce

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE