Bushcraft on a Budget ..... Tiffin Stove. (Pic Heavy).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Thought i'd have a lil' tinker with a Tiffin i bought for a grand total of £2.50.

DSCF1587.jpg

DSCF1588.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

First off i made one of them there Pepsi/Penny stoves, then i made a little stand for it that fits inside the bottom pot of the Tiffin from a sheet of aluminium i had lying around.

DSCF1590.jpg

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1592.jpg

Having done that i removed the stove and stand and wrapped a strip of paper around the bottom pot and marked where it overlapped, then divided the length of paper by 16 and marked these invervals on the paper. Then i cellotaped the strip of paper around the pot and covered where the holes were to be drilled in cellotape too (helps prevent the drill slipping). Next i centre popped the hole positions with the top pot set in place to help prevent buckling.

DSCF1593.jpg

I first drilled the holes 3mm using a collar on the drill bit and the bit set all the way in the drill chuck (only about 4mm of drill bit showing), this helps prevent the bit snapping.

DSCF1594.jpg

I then opened up the holes to 5mm, note the bit is too long to sink all the way into the chuck.

DSCF1597.jpg

DSCF1598.jpg

Then openned out the holes to 8mm.

DSCF1599.jpg

I then drilled a 3mm hole in the centre of the lid so i can fit a wooden handle at a later date.

DSCF1600.jpg

Next i drilled 32 3mm holes around the base.

DSCF1601.jpg

And a if by magic, the finished Tiffin Stove (or so i thought).

DSCF1602.jpg

DSCF1603.jpg

Now to test it......

Filled the Penny stove with meths, dropped the penny on, and filled the 'Puddle' with meths.

Light the puddle....

DSCF1608.jpg

Wait for the jets to light (took 3 refills of the puddle to get the aluminium hot enough).

DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1610.jpg

The top pot holds 500ml of water, which is lucky as that seems to be the standard for boil tests.

I popped the pot of water on and waited....and waited....yawn.

Not enough air flow (damn).

So this is where i cheated and set 3 tent pegs across the bottom pot in a triangle, for the top pot to sit on.

Changed the water, refilled the meths, and lit the thing.

It came to a rolling boil in 5mins 15 secs and kept the water boiling for 12 mins.
How this compares with other stoves, i don't know

DSCF1611.jpg

Downhearted i openned up the 3mm holes around the base to 5mm, and drilled 16 5mm holes between the 8mm holes. Tried it again and it now works without the tent pegs (YEAH!).

Not bad for an outlay of £2.50 if i do say so myself.

For those of you wanting the secret to drilling stainless steel .... Low speed, High feed,
Because my drill bit had a collar (with grub screw) i was able to count each rev, i drilled at about 60rpm.
For the high feed, i just put my entire body weight on the drill.
Never let the bit touch the steel with no feed, it'll blunt in seconds, lean on the drill first, then start it turning.

I look forward to your comments.:)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Thanks for that, those tips will come in really handy - stove pot combination looks really good too and your boil time sounds very respectable for a meths burner.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
5 mins for a boil sounds good to me!

And good work throughout! Looks like a great stove and a bit different from all the usual stoves we see - and at a bargain price!

Now THAT I can get on board with! lol

Dr O

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
For the stove, I have a similar version, however you should made the outer can taller so there is more of a lip to hold more meths and it will light every time first time, even in the cold.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Fantastic buddy. I think the question is though where can one get those tiffan sets from?
Dave

Any Indian food/supermarket is likely to carry them.

There are few Indian takeaways that have started using them.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Thanks for the great (positive) responce, now to answer a few Q's.

(Sorry, can't get the hang of quoting from multiple posts in one reply).

I got the Tiffin set from the local Asian shop (Ebay near triples the price when you add in the postage).

Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a hexi, wood or charcoal.

Middlewood here we come.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
have you had any luck with making/working the stoves with an open top/not the Penny ones. if so can you help me?

dose any 1 know where I can get the aluminium for the pot stand ?

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Sorry abushcrafter but that was also my first effort at a penny stove. Think i know the sort you mean, the ones that are hollow down the middle.

As for the aluminium, that was left behind when a plumber ripped out my old gas fire and back boiler, to cover the hole in the wall. See no reason why a flattened drinks can can't be used, a steel beans tin would be stronger with little weight gain.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
Sorry abushcrafter but that was also my first effort at a penny stove. Think i know the sort you mean, the ones that are hollow down the middle.

As for the aluminium, that was left behind when a plumber ripped out my old gas fire and back boiler, to cover the hole in the wall. See no reason why a flattened drinks can can't be used, a steel beans tin would be stronger with little weight gain.

yes that is the sort. I have done stuff the drinks cans and i have realist that that would be imposable.with the steel cans i think it would not work that well with the 1s with crinkles as they weaken the steel.the 1s with out the crinkles are very had to find.

any forts ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE