Bushcraft logbook?

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Hi all,

I am in the armed forces and leaving next year and as such am training to become a bushcraft, survival and wilderness living instuctor. I know from MLT courses you complete a log book of experience to show learning but is there such a thing in the bushcraft world?

I am aware the old argument of a bit of paper does show good knowlage ect ect ect! But the course provider said it would be a good idea to put one together. Just after your thoughts really, what would you put in it and how would you set it out!

Cheers guys and girls! ( there seems less of the latter in the woods mind!)

udamiano

On a new journey
Interesting point!

It would certainly hope when applying for any position in a established school. I for one would be more likely to employ someone who could show some level of capability, other than a simple "show me what you can do" approach.
A log book also shows a level of thought about how you would approach training individuals, a bit like a CPD (Continued Professional Development) log done by teachers.

So basically I would say its a good idea

Hope this helps, and good luck in your career

D

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
That's what I was thinking really, I am gaining work experience with a local bushcraft/adventure company all be it unpaid!! But you have to start some where, but does anyone know what the job market is like out in the real world!

It seems to me freelance is the way to go unless your lucky enough to land a full time job with a school? Also does anyone know the rates of pay for such a job?!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The CPD idea is an excellent one, or pwerhaps like an NVQ portfolio, where you have to evidence everything.

For bushcraft you might think about organising it by topics, such as food, water, fire, shelter, tools, hygiene and so forth.

Basically you are creating a combined diary and skills log.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would add photos else how would you validate it, of course you would be taken on your word, but to me a book of writing isn't worth much without some kind of proof,

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
I would add photos else how would you validate it, of course you would be taken on your word, but to me a book of writing isn't worth much without some kind of proof,

Very true, but if you made stuff up I guess you would come unstuck quickly

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A folder listing your achievements experience and qualifications etc is good to have, whatever your chosen career, also known on civvy street as a 'Brag file'

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Johnboe522
I like your thinking! think what a potential employer would want too see, just some thoughts below what Id expect

Printouts of each course itinery for everything you've attended showing the course aims and subjects demonstrated - if nothing else at least fattens up your leather bound folder so it looks like there is loads in there..lol
Pictures of yourself on said courses/ or references to the courses providers website showing you there - proves without doubt you've been where you said you have
Pictures of the craft items you have made on various courses
Actual examples of the craft items you have made out of greenwood/ leather/ flint etc - an ability to talk in detail of what effort went into each one
A couple of references or contact details for course providers you have studied with, at least a familiarity with the instructors names as bushcraft is a very small community
An original or copy of an up to date outdoor first aid certificate
An original or copy of your CRB check
An original or copy of a level 2/ level 4 NVQ in outdoor living
A willingness to volunteer your time for no or little financial gain - would imagine giving up a weekend to a potential employer gives them a lot more insight than any interview ever could. gives you chance to evaluate them and them chance to evaluate you. Or even better have attended a previous course with them so they actually know you
Membership of a professional body, i.e. institute of oudoor learning, or mountain leader training board
A thorough familiarity with any books the school may have written/ any youtube clips they have uploaded etc...
A personality that fits in, and a desire to share knowledge
Something very positive about you from your time and achievements in the forces that would add wealth of experience to the school, something you could bring to the party that they haven't got, a reason why they need to employ you rather than someone else

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Hi there johnboe522,

There's really way too much info there for me to do that for you. I suggest you join the forum (it's FOC) to take a look at both it and at the threads I suggested.
Found it thanks a lot pal that's really going to help, nice one!!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just wondering, would it be of use to contact some of the schools\instructors and ask THEM if they would see it as a benefit, and what they themselves would like to see in such a portfolio if it were presented?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just keep a photo journal of my trips (well - most of them not ones involving minors or where customers have requested that no photos are taken of them) and a portfolio of my various NGB awards/1st Aid/CRB/ other certs.
Most of my work has come from personal contacts and through reputation/recomendation by happy customers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE