Bushcraft hand washing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I don’t know if this has been covered before on another thread but cant find info on it.

I was wandering how do people clean there hand after going to the camp Karzi or before preparing food or administering first aid while out in the bush with no running water?

Reason I’m interested is since I’m getting back into re-enactment and a lot of the time there is a portaloo but no hand washing facilities which causes a problem if you are eating with your hands or preparing food.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Grendel, I've seen you and your levitation trick on another forum!!! :)

Alcohlol gel and baby wipes for me.

We Pirates be cunning like that. LOL.

Looks like i'll have to borrow some Alcohlol gel from work in that case.

thanks everyone for there advice

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Reason I’m interested is since I’m getting back into re-enactment and a lot of the time there is a portaloo but no hand washing facilities which causes a problem if you are eating with your hands or preparing food.

Yes, it does cause a problem. Very bad practise, IMO. There should be a bowl of water and some soap near the loo. No excuse not to have this.

Rule one - always wash hands before eating or preparing food. Do this even if you've just come out of the kahzi and washed your hands. The risks of picking up undesirable bugs are high if you've been handling animals, soil or gone to the loo.

There is a reason why commercial kitchens have a sink specifically for washing hands.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Yes, it does cause a problem. Very bad practise, IMO. There should be a bowl of water and some soap near the loo. No excuse not to have this.

Rule one - always wash hands before eating or preparing food. Do this even if you've just come out of the kahzi and washed your hands. The risks of picking up undesirable bugs are high if you've been handling animals, soil or gone to the loo.

There is a reason why commercial kitchens have a sink specifically for washing hands.

Most people have weak immune systems.

I eat raw meat, prepare rabbit and never wash my hands. Must ingest a lot of dirt.

I can't remember the last time i was ill because i have a strong immune system.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It has been covered before.

I just wash my hand with soap and water. Alcohol gel works but really works best on hands free of debris or you end up sealing in muck, so I suppose soap and water then alcohol if your paranoid.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If no soap and water, then I use baby wipes to remove dirt and alcohol gel for killing bugs.

But, I much prefer to wash properly, so generally make a little tripod and leave one of these with water in the bottom of it.

253183.jpg

Simon

EdS

Most people have weak immune systems.

I eat raw meat, prepare rabbit and never wash my hands. Must ingest a lot of dirt.

I can't remember the last time i was ill because i have a strong immune system.

Not strictly true the "strong immune" argument is rubbish- you have just been lucky. I've spent 15 years plus dealing with sewage & drainage / env health and I still wash my hands before food.

It is quiet easy for people wit h"strong" immune system to get food poisoning from food, however, it is even easier to catch it from what has gone through a human gut. Anything that survives there is more adapted adn therefore more virulent in that environment.

Most cases of d & v from food source are not generally from the food itselft it is via poor hygiene and comes from the person handling the food.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
when I used to play soldiers not washing your hands when on ex was likely to get you a good... telling off. Not to mention a less than complimentary nickname.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE