Bushcraft for Scouts, help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Poncho, looks like that was a really good camp. Thanks for posting photos - always great to see how others do things. I like your parachute shelter, I got one through the group buy on here a month or two ago, not used it yet though.

Bob,

Forgot to mention I "borrowed" your kitlist from your website to save re-inventing the wheel - feel free to borrow anything back....

Jules

Jules, glad the kit list was useful for you. I've just checked out your site - very nice. Were you guys just over at Curborough for the pedal car races? I was hoping to get a team in but it was a bit short notice since we've never even built a pedal car before. I'm planning on getting at least one made over the winter and entering a few races next year so might even get to say "hi" to you and your Troop in person. Keep posting the pics on your site, I love seeing how other groups do things, especially if it shows me how we can improve on the stuff we do.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Bob,

We were at Curborough and previoulsy at the 24hr event at Shennington (Banbury so quite a way for you guys), we are the Bear Grylls cafe (I'm sure Grills would have been funnier but I'm still new). Look up www.dunscouts.org.uk and email John "Beno" Bennet he can put you in touch with Jes who is the Pedalcar Guru! I hope you do enter they all seem to enjoy it and luckily for us eat a load so they get cheap food and we make a few quid/don't lose too much!

I agree Poncho's camp looks fantastic I've just spent the morning in A&E planning our weekend and have borrowed a few ideas from you all - I'm going to get them to collect enough wood and cook their own breakfasts from a fire they have to light timing wil be irrelevant the aroma of my bacon, sausage & beans for the leaders gently wafting across their sleeping noses will get them bow drilling like bee wings! The best thing is that they all rise to the challenge and although I've only been involved for 3 camps and 4 evening sessions seeing that is really great fun, although having a REAL reason to play with fire & knives does just push the "putting something back" reason into second place!

I soooo want a 'chute but the hammocks etc have blown our Shennington funds so it'll have to wait until after our Christmas dashes for cash.

I'll keep the site as up to date as possible, probably archiving stuff as its a freebie from Google - any one want any help I've self taught in a week, but drop me a PM.

Look forward to seeing you & your troop at a Pedalcar event.

Jules

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Poncho,

Superb & thanks for the photos we're doing something similar with our Scouts and now seeing your event I'm even more excited although we're out early November so the weather may be marginally less balmy!

Jules

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Poncho,

Superb & thanks for the photos we're doing something similar with our Scouts and now seeing your event I'm even more excited although we're out early November so the weather may be marginally less balmy!

Jules

No probs- I can email you our full programme for the weekend with timings if that would be useful? Just drop me a PM. Our camp is usually end of October/early November- so this years was a world of difference in temperature, but its perfectly doable in the cold! Just make sure you have some form of large group tarp to conduct the lessons under to keep the rain off. Big camo 5m x 4m tarps only cost a little over £10 each online, and strung between the trees contribute greatly to the flavour of such a weekend rather than retreating to a big mess tent/marquee every time it rains. (the eyelets rip out though, so tie off the fabric behind the eyelets rather than just the eyelet.)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I agree with most of the above.
The Clas Ohlson knives are great and when little johny loses it in the woods they are cheap to replace.
You dont need an axe to be shaving sharp (so when the scout slips with it wont chop his leg off) to split wood and if it needs cut to length thats what the saw is for. I have seen some groups with some really ropey axes though.

Look on Escouts for some more ideas.

My main piece of advice for Scout activities is try it out yourself first as if you cant do it why would expect a Scout to manage.

Expect them not have used matches or lit a fire they are told these are scary things at school so they may be scared of them.
They may struggle to use a saw or an axe as they are not strong enough or lack the coordination. They may call you a murderer when you get a knife out. Do not expect them to have any common sense or follow instructions first time.

Remember they are all different and they will surprise you a regularly.
:goodluck:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...poncho...thats the way to do it. Good see what others are up to.

Interestingly I had a discussion around snares/traps etc with a few other leaders, and despite the scout movement being averse to animal shaped targets for archery and shooting, there is nothing says you cannot make use of snares...I have always stayed clear of this particular area, assuming the association would have strong views on it...but apparantly not...A new avenue has opened up...

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Poncho,

thanks yes a programme would be very useful, I'll PM you, but you could look at www.newboldscouts.com and then the directory page has my email - also while you're there any feedback on the site would be useful, does your explorer group have a site?

Jules

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
@silentbob

Patient - bust my foot playing murder-ball (piggy in the middle x rugby x football x rollerball = Australian rules) after a few beers with my kids and some mates a few weeks back and it wasn't getting better - just a broken toe - told to stop walking my dogs & keep my foot up - easier said than done! So I have to have it fixed for November - lots of milk & rest then!

Last edited:

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Got a link to those tarps LP? I am running a back to basics skills camp next weekend, would be great to chuck up a large tarp rather than use our coleman event shelter.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Snares are very controversial and basically illegal, so I was going to avoid them.....however your posting may change that.

What about catapults made with exercise elastic? Are they allowed as some would really like to make them and as suggested above I got my daughter who's a Cub to make one and she now shoots crab apples at various inanimate objects around the garden and hits her thumb every now and again (it makes me wince from ancient childhood memories).

I'd be interested in your views.

Jules

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The photo above shows an illegal type of snare (which would work with string in the absence of wire), however, as part of survival training, it is ok to demonstrate these, and practice setting them up, just not use them (unless you are in a true survival situation). At the end of the workshop, these snares were dismantled. In setting them though, it gives the explorers practice carving the trigger mechanism, and locating them correctly.

Not all snares are illegal (in the UK) though- simple ground snares, which are non locking, and not self tightening are ok to use. I don't use them in anger myself though, only for demonstration purposes, as during this sort of weekend i wouldn't be able to check on them as frequently as i would need (and the site warden probably wouldn't be too happy either!). I've never really tried catapults, it would be an interesting exercise. I haven't searched through POR, but i can't see why they wouldn't be able to be used, as long as your targets didn't depict an animal/human.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
@The Lord Poncho

I'll post a picture of the catapult I made on Flickr, but I'm sure you can work one out, I used exercise power bands and then small cable/zip ties to tie them in place and bits of leather off-cuts. Useful skills practice and not a bad Christmas present (probably keep it for themselves!!) just keen to get them to make something using practical skills.

Checked POR and yes as you say no pictures/images of animals people but no restriction on the manufacture of said item. Think I'll start with the pencil ballistas then work up to a proper catapult.

Have a shufty at BASC.org.uk as they're very good and they explain snaring too, you're right similar rights to shooting but danglers & locking are illegal. My childhood poaching days may be back on the agenda and we may eat rabbit at the camp then with the girls eating packaged meat because that died of old age!!!!!!:confused:!!!!! in a comfortable retirement home for sheep/cows/pigs :rolleyes:

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
I am a scout and a long time bushcraft enthusiast, i am one of the older ones and am the one who actually teaches all of the bushcrafty things. I had a great idea the other day, almost all of the scouts in my scout group's penknives are always very blunt, those that are not have brand new penknives, so i was thinking about showing the scouts about sharpening, maintaining and keeping sharp their knives, you could try this too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE