Bushcraft for Chavs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
bogflogger said:
How about stopping calling Young People at risk "Chavs."

If you are involved in Group Leadership, you really SHOULD know better than to demean your Clients in this purjorative way.

Well, they've called me worse!

My role is not to instruct these kids, it is to encourage them to work together, to try new things, and to be able to communicate with adults and each other. Most of them have been let badly down time and again by the people closest to them. They've learnt not to respect authority, and that they get the most attention through challenging behaviour. By treating them how we'd like to be treated, encouraging them to get involved in group activities and having friendly banter (including the occasional accusation of being a Chav) they can learn to benefit from cooperating with each other, and that listening to adults can actually be a benefit once in a while (after all, we can be right sometimes even though we're 'past it'). Through having that banter they learn the kind of chat which is acceptable in certain situations. They learn, not by being told not to say something, but by laughing along to the good stuff that goes down well and trying similar. We act normal, they will act normal too.

As you well know, if I really wanted to demean them, I wouldn't have volunteered my time over the last three years. So, I repeat my original apology for use of the vernacular.

Oh, and shameless plug: We're always looking for volunteers...

Neil

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As far as I can recall, the term "chav" actually emerged from the "chav" community. Like many elements of modern British slang, it has its roots in the Romany language. When they were all (OK, most) moved onto council estates, elements of the culture and language merged with the wider working class culture. It's originally an affectionate term, (unlike "gadgie", which was originally a term of disrespect, although the two often seem to used interchangeably these days).

My point ("oh, you have a point?" I hear you say ;)) being that using their own language and terminology may be less demeaning to them than using the police / social / dole approved term "young person at risk". Using the latter risks marking you as one of "them".

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Thanks for the magnanimous comments guys, but let's keep this on track... I'm sure the kids will appreciate good fun things to do in the rain more than what we call them to their faces or behind their backs. Words are just words and I'll ask the mods to pull the thread myself if it becomes a debate about semantics.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
drstrange said:
:sadwavey:
;)

Perhaps we can have a Semantics forum - we can stick the Chav debate in there along with the bushcraft/survival discussion!

Anyway: Back to topic,
As suggested earlier, I'm just canvassing for 'Just in Case' activities if the weather turns grim and we're stuck in the marquee
Current ideas are:
Fire by friction demos/lessons
How to cope with bad weather: we'll have the conditions already! (e.g. Sitting on bare ground vs. insulation. Wet vs. Dry heat loss, avoiding lightning etc.)
Tasty things to eat in the countryside): it's berry time and there's plenty of brambles, sloes and sorrel aplenty on site, without even having to move more than 30 feet. Can show them that, and some other plant ID
Animal identification Can try to get some good animal ID stuff together, and maybe try plaster casting of tracks.
Dehydration Great idea from CrazyDave about explaining dehydration - can illustrate from their experiences of hangovers!
Teamwork games Fun little 5 minute games to get them working with people they don't know.

Ah... List will grow, but it's time for me to go home from work!

More later. Thanks for the contributions, keep 'em coming!

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I would disagree that you are not "Instructing" your Clients (notice that I did not use the term "Leading").

In fact, you ARE instructing your Clients, simply by being who you are, and by what you are doing - Something that they WILL be watching all the time, even if they never mention it.

They ARE looking for 'Role Models', even if they do not realize it themselves!

Also, well hey, "they have called you worse" I completely understand, in my career (since 1991) I have learned plenty of "new words", have been attacked with a knife twice and been coshed over the head with a fire extinguisher by a Client.

This is quite apart from the ones who have run away from site to steal cars to get back home in, or have "escaped" into the Mountains! (Oh Dear, WHAT a chore, having to go Hillwalking :p to coax them back to site, when they are sick of being wet/cold/hungry. :D )

You just have to have an effective "Teflon coating" and keep smiling, no matter what the provocation!

The point is, you have to be 100% PC in your dealings with your Clients, or you will lose their respect!

One of the Organizations I worked for has a semi official motto:

" :censored: Off, means: I Love You."

It's Pretty Accurate.

I will try and have a hunt around for some more links to teamwork games for you.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Right, enough! :sadwavey: Please keep the posts to Ideas on bushcrafty activities for youths not normally used to organised activities with each other or adults, or I'll ask for the thread to be pulled. We've all expressed our opinions, no need to debate them here!
:swordfigh

bogflogger said:
I will try and have a hunt around for some more links to teamwork games for you.

Good idea... Now where am I going to get enough Herrings at such short notice?? :lmao:

Current ideas are:
Fire by friction demos/lessons
How to cope with bad weather: we'll have the conditions already! (e.g. Sitting on bare ground vs. insulation. Wet vs. Dry heat loss, avoiding lightning etc.)
Tasty things to eat in the countryside: it's berry time and there's plenty of brambles, sloes and sorrel aplenty on site, without even having to move more than 30 feet. Can show them that, and some other plant ID
Animal identification Can try to get some good animal ID stuff together, and maybe try plaster casting of tracks.
Dehydration Great idea from CrazyDave about explaining dehydration - can illustrate from their experiences of hangovers!
Example Bushie camp with fire, tarp, hammock, pot hanger, billy can etc.
Teamwork games Fun little 5 minute games to get them working with people they don't know.

In fact: Here's one that's really simple but works very well:

Get a group of 4 people, and have 2 of them stand next to each other, and facing the other 2, but staggered so that when they all stick their arms out in front of themselves, you get a line of hands arranged alternating north, south, north, south, north, south, north, south.
Have them extend just their index fingers.
Place a long but lightweight bamboo stick across the row of fingers.
Now, tell them to get the stick on to the ground, without having a single finger leave contact with the pole and without touching it with anything else.
It's very difficult without lots of communication and takes a lot longer than you'd think!

I'm beginning to think it would be worth just setting up a little area where all these are available and letting the interested kids pick up and have a go at whatever they like.
Getting them all to do something at once is harder than herding cats!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Thats a really good starting point however if they have never tried anything like this before then you will get tremendous mileage from the simplest activities such as sleeping in a tent, lighting a fire and cooking an edible meal on a trangia :)

They will probably have a completely open idea about bushcraft so you could ealsiy introduce canoeing, maybe even hillwalking, OK maybe not in Essex :lmao: , but how about a walk through the woods at night just getting used to the noises?

I would suggest though that you avoid "false excercises", ie things tht have no relevance to the object of the session. Many years ago at work we used to start courses by saying a few words about oursleves, but that stopped when they realised that this embaraased.. <can we have a spell checker please!! :eek: > some, other gave a B/S answer and others just mumbled which meant the whole thing started off negative for some people.

It doesn't matter what people are bringing to bushcraft its what they take that counts :)

I have just noticed your idea about setting up places for them to visit (sometimes referred to as theme park style) and I would probably not start with that. As you say cats are difficult to herd but given the choice most will just sit and do nothing.

They will only go to the bits that look fun, avoid the rest, and then get bored. I would suggest setting up several "bases" and dividing the people into teams who spend an equal time at each, that way you often find they enjoy things that they didn't expect to. Plus they are all busy until the end of the session and don't get bored.

I appreciate that this can be instructor heavey but it also gives a good student/teacher ratio and some much needed almost one on one time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE