Bushcraft equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's got to be a smilie face Transit, mines a rust bucket but it sails through emissions after 270,000 miles. Great engines, body's affected by metal worm.
If they had galvanised them they would all be on the road still.

It's a Merc Vito actually, got a bit of rust here and there and the plastic bits are starting to fall off now but otherwise pretty sound.

It just annoys me how everyone says get a newer vehicle to be more eco. friendly when the best thing for the environment is that we get as much life as possible out of the resources we have already started using.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Transit had a great engine but rust ate the chassis and suspention points for the springs.
My Peugot Boxer had great bodywork but died from a carp gearbox and clutch, plus a bit of rust on the chassis.
My Metro van died from rotting bodywork - why cant some manufacturer get the combo of body, chassis and engine right?
Or is it deliberate to sell more vehicles?
Not that I am cynical or anything...... but it seems that everything is built to fall apart in short order....

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i think the op is way off the mark anyway, if truly going native where would the bacon and flour have come from? they would need to be aquired on route from source also.
as for my view, you can't tell me that these ice men that get thawed out with spear, arrows and bow and firelighting kit would trun their nose up to a duvet jacket and goretex boots if offered? surely mans interaction with the envirionment has always been dictaed by his mastering of tools and manipulation of that environment. we're a tropical species, its only thru clothing and firemaking we have been able to progress further north anyhow? this is why primitive skills are in decline anyway in tribes etc as our knowledge of tool making and equipment increases all the time. why spend time making a loin cloth when your grandson goes down river in a motor boat once a week and goes to the market and you can wear some knocked off levis and a bolex on yr wrist.
i thinkn of the 'bushcraft' purely as a loose grouping of skills, from hunting thru to living off the land, camp craft and emergency survival, but more improtantly 'more input'. knowldege is most important and no learning is wasted. and theres an infinite amout of stuff to learn about 'the outdoors'. why turn yr back on millions of years of evolution just to fit a label. there are no points for being uncomfortable, use what you can to enjoy it more.

was the bacon rind on? or had that been trimmed too?

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Doesn't exist.

A sleeping bag, tent, rucksack, paracord, knifes, axes etc are not bushcraft equipment. Bushcraft equipment is mud, leaves,sticks, stones your body and mind.

Tents, Tarps etc that you carry in is a lame bottom attempt at car camping without the car.

Going in armed to the teath with equipment and carving a spoon and cooking on a fire is the same but with elements of a totally different hobby.

Few weeks ago i went out for a week with a kilo of bacon and some flower. We were fine but miserable the first few days until we utilized more bushcraft equipment and by the end of the week we got to a decent stage of comfort.

Just my thoughts.

Will say though i have a lot of gear but thats for my other hobby.

I assosciate bushcraft with fieldcraft. It is a whole load of skills that are to be used in the bush. I use my bushcraft skills when tracking, when camping, when out for a hike, etc...

I could go out with nothing and knock a flake of stone off for a knife and make my shelter and fire from natural materials and have done. Or I could carry in my shelter and stove, etc and concentrate on hunting, tracking or wood crafting, etc. It all depends on what I want to spend my time on.

I spend a huge amount of time studying Chalcolithic skills and make bows, bone and flint tools, but sometimes I want to go observe some deer and track them to see what they do and understand them better and having modern tools make that easier. Doesn't mean that tracking said deer isn't bushcraft.

I think that bushcraft is a huge umberella covering a massive amount of skills.

Nobody would accuse Mors or Ray or any of the other big names of not practicing bushcraft would they?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like John says, I re-cycle and re-use a lot of the stuff that becomes my gear and I expect it it to have a very long life...I drive a van that has almost a quarter of a million miles on the clock, not because I cannot replace it but because it still does it's job well and sails through it's emissions check every year better than many newer vehicles...

I tend to keep my vehicles until the wheels fall of of them too. Not particularly for the environment's sake but like John I too hate to spend money. Add to that how my vehicle becomes familiar (I carry a good bit of gear stuffed away in various nooks and crannies in the vehicle) which makes changing vehicles very much like moving to a new office; I'd rather take a beating.

I cain't agree with the opinions that modern vehicles wear out to soon though; not when taken by comparison at any rate. When I first started driving (in about 1968) if a car got 80,000 miles before wearing out it was a significant event. In the last 15 years or so I've had a set of tires last that long and it's rare for a car to last less than 200,000 here (I expect much longer over there where diesel engines are more prevalent)

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
'Bushcraft', 'Wilderness Survival Skills' etc.. whatever you call is THE KNOWLEDGE IN YOU HEAD, not what tools or kit you have with you. Lots of people dont get that simple truth.

There is a bunch of people who thing that if they go out with less gear or rubbish equipment then they are somehow better than the rest of us. It's one of those recuring threads we get on here all the time. What counts is what you know. Knowing how to make fire 30 different ways, going from caveman tech to using batteries, is much better than saying 'Look at me I only use the bowdrill..'.

Then there is the comfort factor. I could sleep out this weekend in a debris shelter with no blanket to have a wet cold, night & end up covered in bugs. I know how to do it & have done it but I would rather spend the night under a good tarp in my BMBH hammock inside a nice warm sleeping bag.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i realy dont worry about categorizing bushcraft or whatever you wanna call it, not too bothered about being the most "hardcore" bushcrafter to gain bushcraft points. i just like getting out there, learning skills, sharing skills and enjoying it.
I like the Kit (especialy the sharp stuff) but i cant take much of it, i have no car so i walk to my destination with my comfort items.

somthing to sleep in
somthing to sleep on
somthing to sleep under
somthing to cook in
somthing to cut with
somthing to make sparks with
somthing to eat
somthing to treat wounds with
and somthing to drink..

a book and ipod too odviously.

i dont think woodcraft skills are to be boasted about, they should be enjoyed and shared.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Newsflash!!!!!!!!!!!

9000 year old remains of Caveman found in Wiltshire wearing an iPod. Scientists have come to the conclusion he was electrocuted due to oversize batteries.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I really don't worry about categorizing bushcraft or whatever you want to call it; not too bothered about being the most "hardcore" bushcrafter to gain bushcraft points. I just like getting out there, learning skills, sharing skills and enjoying it.

something to sleep in
something to sleep on
something to sleep under
something to cook in
something to cut with
something to make sparks with
something to eat
something to treat wounds with
and something to drink.

a book and ipod too obviously.

I don't think woodcraft skills are to be boasted about, they should be enjoyed and shared.

I agree, perhaps not about the iPod, but the general, but with the deep-seated enthusiasm for being out in the woods or the wilds as being the biggest source of pleasure. Labelling the bits and pieces that you take with you as 'bushcraft tools' is pretty nonsensical - they are things that you have chosen to take with you and use in, perhaps, a 'bushcraft' context.

I suppose one of the things I always try and do is take as little as possible while remaining safe and relatively comfortable. As Siberian Fury says, perhaps the greatest pleasure lies in sharing the time in the woods or wilds with folk (ideally not too many!) who share my love of the outdoors.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
What counts is what you know. Knowing how to make fire 30 different ways, going from caveman tech to using batteries, is much better than saying 'Look at me I only use the bowdrill..'.

+1 on that neumo.

i remember at work having a discussion about wealth and in particular the oxygen thieves who get paid in a week what i earn in 5 years just for kicking a football about and sleeping with old grannies. yes rooney i do mean you!
my point was that these people have no discernable life skills ie hunting, carpentry, medical knowledge etc etc and if a cataclysmic event happened where all the electrical gadgets ceased to function, money had no meaning etc and we were effectively put back in the stone age they would be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

the richest people in the world in that scenario would be the ones with the skills to help keep themselves and others in good health, with a roof over their heads and food for the table.

unfortunately my wealth of knowledge in that scenario would be just enough to provide shelter/food/ and fire but i would be a long way from comfortable lol

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
my point was that these people have no discernable life skills ie hunting, carpentry, medical knowledge etc etc and if a cataclysmic event happened where all the electrical gadgets ceased to function, money had no meaning etc and we were effectively put back in the stone age they would be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I couldn't agree with you there my good man, I read recently about the footballer chap who is attempting to develop an eco-home, they are not all lacking in the skills required.

Of course, my observation does not neatly follow the bushcraftier-than-thou attitude that haunts the forum, so I expect others to continue with the blanket disparaging remarks on our sportsmen...

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
the richest people in the world in that scenario would be the ones with the skills to help keep themselves and others in good health, with a roof over their heads and food for the table

+1 back at ya! Some wise words here (excepty the bit about the iPod Newsflash, obviously)

Scipio

May 1, 2011
Reading
Doesn't exist.

Tents, Tarps etc that you carry in is a lame bottom attempt at car camping without the car.

Wow. So Ray Mears must be a car camper then because I`m pretty sure that he carries a tarp and pack, and knives and axes and all kinds of lame bottom stuff.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Doesn't exist.

Wow. So Ray Mears must be a car camper then because I`m pretty sure that he carries a tarp and pack, and knives and axes and all kinds of lame bottom stuff.

Yeah I can just see him stashing one of those nice big dutch ovens into his rucksack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE