Bushcraft Courses at Woodlore this summer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hallo hallo,
I'm booked in for the fundamental Bushcraft course at woodlore in early july and i am very, very excited, to say the least, in spite of the fact that my AS level exams stand in the way, the course starts only 6 days after my last exam, but really really lookin forward to it. I've heard (read) some talk of people not being satisfied with the courses that woodlore provide, but at my level of bushcraft (tinkering with my mora and a pre-maturely bought GB hatchet) it would really have to be dreadful, but lets not dampen the spirits of those going on the course. I was just wondering if there would be any tips for while i am on the course, kit and otherwise and any other additional information that may be useful. As i say my experience is relatively limited, but who better to ask than the vast and well experienced peoples of BCUK.
Anybody else attending the same course in early July?

Thanks,
outdoorpaddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Howdy chap< I had a great time on the fundy course a few years back, you will get kit lists which pretty much covers what to take, I would add you own personal brew kit for when your back in you shelter at night. and adhere to timings!!

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Yes, a great incentive and i really owe it to my parents who are forkin it out for me, although i will be workin my behind off for the rest of summer to pay it off, hah

Just a note, does it ever bother anyone that the word 'Bushcraft' does not exist according to spell checker, Is it in the dictionary even?

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I will take that advice to heart for all expeditions and outings, southey, nothin like a good brew, there will be a special wee compartment for tea in my rucksak; english breakfast, maybe a few earl grey, spot on

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yes, a great incentive and i really owe it to my parents who are forkin it out for me, although i will be workin my behind off for the rest of summer to pay it off, hah

Just a note, does it ever bother anyone that the word 'Bushcraft' does not exist according to spell checker, Is it in the dictionary even?

the words been around a while matey. I keep trying to find the earliest ref so far it's 1967 in 'Don't die in the Bundu', but I'm certain I've read it in an earlier book regarding travel in Australia

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
the words been around a while matey. I keep trying to find the earliest ref so far it's 1967 in 'Don't die in the Bundu', but I'm certain I've read it in an earlier book regarding travel in Australia

Happy to be corrected but my research leads to an Irish man ...

The author of "The 10 Bushcraft Books", Richard Graves, was born 17th July, 1898 (some sources list year of birth as 1897 or 1899) in Co. Waterford, Ireland. He died on 3rd February, 1971 in Sydney, Australia.

Check out the books online ... well worth a read ... you will see some familiar stuff if you have read any other bushcraft books. He definitely influenced our modern bushcraft hero's ...

Andrew

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Happy to be corrected but my research leads to an Irish man ...

The author of "The 10 Bushcraft Books", Richard Graves, was born 17th July, 1898 (some sources list year of birth as 1897 or 1899) in Co. Waterford, Ireland. He died on 3rd February, 1971 in Sydney, Australia.

Check out the books online ... well worth a read ... you will see some familiar stuff if you have read any other bushcraft books. He definitely influenced our modern bushcraft hero's ...

Andrew

That's right. But Southey should be forgiven as he can't really read. It's only with the Speak n' Spell he got in the 'gift it on' thread, that he has advanced to the current level.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Still not sure why my Ipad broke?
tablet_typing.jpg

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
You lucky man, ignore the criticism of Woodlore you may have heard round here (including my own) - the Fundamental course is the most amazing week. Like others who have done it I'm not going to share all the tips, since that would genuinely spoil it for you. All I'll say is pack light - the less time you have to spend faffing about with unnecessary kit, the more fun you'll have. Oh, and remember to take your sense of humour, there are some long days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE