Bushcraft Confessions ! ( I'm a bit crap at....)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Knots.
There, I've said it!:)
Despite well over three decades of 'Wild camping or Bushcraft , I still only know a couple of knots.
The rest I just kind of make up or get right by accident, I even have two knot books that remain untroubled by my eyes!
Not sure why, but I have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to them.
What about you Cats?
da C.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I'm a bit crap at firecraft. No matter how much I do it I find that I am always a bit hit and miss but I intend to rectify this asap.

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
I am the same with Knots and it must be the norm for having two books on knots. I have them as well and look at them once every six months if that.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I only use a few simple knots that seem to do everything I need when combined.

I suppose my big blind spot is plant identification.

I don't eat plants much, I prefer to feed them to animals and then eat meat instead.

As such I just can't get excited enough about plants to learn much about them.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Tracking, plant id, fungi (though none of these are really a great hinderence to me!), leatherwork, carving (need I go on?) but the one I do want to improve is fire lighting with a bow drill! I've got the rest of the firecraft, knots, survival etc nailed but I can never seem to manage bow drills.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I only use a few simple knots that seem to do everything I need when combined.

I suppose my big blind spot is plant identification.

I don't eat plants much, I prefer to feed them to animals and then eat meat instead.

As such I just can't get excited enough about plants to learn much about them.

Mate, you are banned from this thread, I have seen you and your handy work up close!
This is for mere mortals lol!
Cat.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Admin! (i think you knew this already though Chris :) )

Knots are easy peasy when I can find the bloody cordage :lmao:

I'm not hot on foraging either.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Finding your baccy?
( I will give you a clue... I've got it! )
C.

Yep me too!!! On recent trip I seemed to no where Petes gear was better than him lol!!!

As for thread, tbh I'm pretty rubbish at everything bushcraft!!!
Full of enthusiasm and very keen to learn so that's cool by me!!
Cheers
Steve

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Travelling light :sigh:

Tbh I think I could manage if I found myself with virtually nothing but given time to think about what kit to bring, ye gods I can even find an excuse to pack two kitchen sinks :eek:

My fungus recognition isn't good. I manage the few I know and use, but that's it. I keep promising myself that I'll sign up and go and do a proper fungi id course.

And, shamefully, I can't carve spoons :rolleyes: pretty good at spatulas though :)

cheers,
M

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Knots are easy, I learned as a Cub Scout, so I have actually forgotten how I learned them - but I retained a confidence with cord.

Keeping a tidy camp - forget it - I'll spread stuff far and wide and still not be able to find the things I need!
Likewise going light - if I had wanted to go light, I would not have bought a Land Rover and a trailer!
There's probably a bundle of stuff that I'm not as good as many others but I'm good at arguing that my work is more functional!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Everything here!

Tree/Plant ID is my weakest I believe. Downloaded two great apps for this but it's fruitless (pun intended).

Being colour blind and stupid doesn't help though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE