Bushcraft coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Depends how you like your coffee? I take a hand grinder, having weighed my beans at home and put them in cling. Aeropress is quite nice coffee and compact. plastic too so shouldn't get damaged.

I've seen me making coffee just in a mug and dropping some cold water in to sink the grinds. or, take a wee sieve and pour from one cup to the other.

More elaborate and better coffee.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX91Nj0uItI

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As Monikieman has already said, it depends on how you like your coffee. It also depends on your perception of 'faff' and what level of effort you are willing to put in to getting your perfect brew ...

I've seen me making coffee just in a mug and dropping some cold water in to sink the grinds. or, take a wee sieve and pour from one cup to the other.

Have you looked into Turkish* Coffee making? A very smooth drink when done well and no sifting of grounds ;) :D

* Or other nations utilising similar techniques ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I have now:) Looks easy, might give it a go. Cheers

They cost very little and it is very much worth trying to get hold of an Ibrik or Czeve (Pronounced something like 'Jez-veh, iirc :eek: ) ... (Greek coffee is made in an ibrik, Turkish in a czeve ... but a Turkish ibric is a water pot not a coffee pot ;) :confused: ). The shape of the pot holds the grounds back from being poured ... you'll get some so don't down the last bit of the cup ;) ;)

Once you get your eye in it's fairly easy ... take your eye off and it boils over :yikes:

h, and you want to use almost talc fine grounds ...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aeropress with the rubber lid. I put about 5 filter papers and ground coffee in the plunger section and cap it. Nothing to stop you bagging the coffee grounds and stuffing them in.

Beware though, the silicone rubber lid can get dislodged in a pack, but that's only happened once. Couple of plunges, couple of apples, couple of granola bars is my standard camp wakey uppy.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Hi Guys and Gals,

What are the best methods/equipment for brewing coffee in the field?

I'm looking to put together a coffee kit to take into the field.

TIA

Cameron

Introducing the Trangia Bio~letti moka express

26369337504_4993f279d7_z.jpg

Trangia Bio~letti moka express Unpacked

26370415873_ec6639ee1a_z.jpg

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a little stainless steel cafetiere thats drop resistant and is small enough to live in the cupholder of my van.
Can't be done with grinding my own coffee unless there was no choice but I just don't do instant either, that seems to fit in with my levels of acceptable "Faff".

The placky filter holders (usually I just use kitchen roll folded into quarters instead of the filters as its cheaper) are a good alternative as well.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I use coffee bags from tesco and condensed milk to whiten + sweeten it a bit.

Nescafe do some okay-ish 3 in 1 sachets.

Normally just instant at home or i break out the french press if feeling posh.

Tonyuk

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
The Trangia Bio~letti moka express take the biscuit. Superb :)

cheers, loving the pun! Origeonaly intended as a grab box, as rounding up & transporting the individual coffee items to my pickanick table @ the bottom of my garden each time I wanted to sit in the garden with a coffee was a pain in the Bum!

When I first started constructing my wee coffee box SWIMBO asked what the hell are you making now?
& poo pooed the idea giving me the roll eyes look!

Funny story:~ When constructing the box at first, when nearing completion, the sliding lid refused to close, still packing tightly exactly the same way as I had throughout the build the clearence which I had left between the items & the lid seemed to have gone, Turns out totaly coinsadentaly the one cup which I had used as my master measure throughout the build was 1/8" smaller in hight than the other 2 (A "Friday" cup)
Designed to be packed in the smallest box possible, there is only one way to get everything back in the box (trick cup included) it Took me a while to puzzle this out & it made me giggle.

All items were, includding the cups sourced & purchased individualy, collected over a period of time & eventually brought together as a set, the cups were in the end strangely enough hard to find when not being bought in bulk & were purchased seperately from various vendors.

I do now have a "coffee for 5" expantion kit for when wee have our friends round, 2 extra cups, saucers (all matching bar the Friday cup), spoons, bigger coffee pot & wee milk jug`
(stored seperately no box).

Dave Dickinson

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2017
Rochdale UK
I went on a leather making course run by Paul Dore he uses a java coffee bag but can't remember the name of the maker I'm sure they are Yorkshire made. I looked in the supermarkets near me but could only find the ground loose stuff. It was really nice stuff il see if I can find a link.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Wife uses Japanese empty disposable tea bags to put in what she wants. Search them on Ebay. I don't drink posh filter coffee, but they might work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE