Bushcraft club - help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobD

Jul 30, 2012
Deep in the forest
Help, am I looking at this all wrong? Here's the deal:

I'm a teacher and am going to run a simple bushcraft club for the kids in my school - age 10/11 - along the lines of simple knot tying, using stoves (Trangia types etc), navigation, tent building, shelter making, wide games... you get the picture. It's designed to try and engage our lost boys back into something they can talk and maybe even feel good about themselves in.

Well I told them to call it The Bushcraft Club I was derieded by the female staff for picking a wholly inappropriate name for the club. I was a bit lost but they then explained that 'wouldn't it look funny if Mr D was teaching children BUSH craft skills' - the connotation referring to female anatomy!

Now not sure if I should change the name of the club. What does the community think? Is this OTT or am I not seeing it right?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Help, am I looking at this all wrong? Here's the deal:

I'm a teacher and am going to run a simple bushcraft club for the kids in my school - age 10/11 - along the lines of simple knot tying, using stoves (Trangia types etc), navigation, tent building, shelter making, wide games... you get the picture. It's designed to try and engage our lost boys back into something they can talk and maybe even feel good about themselves in.

Well I told them to call it The Bushcraft Club I was derieded by the female staff for picking a wholly inappropriate name for the club. I was a bit lost but they then explained that 'wouldn't it look funny if Mr D was teaching children BUSH craft skills' - the connotation referring to female anatomy!

Now not sure if I should change the name of the club. What does the community think? Is this OTT or am I not seeing it right?

This has to be a wind up post.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
It's too late now whatever you do the damage is done. I just hope they don't give you the nickname "bushunter"!

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

udamiano

On a new journey
Why change it, its what the general topic is called, you don't open an archery club then change its name because some nameless people decide the name has other connotations or could be degraded into something which seems more appropriate on their level of thinking. keep to your guns chap and ignore them.

Da

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would report the female staff for offensive and inappropriate remarks.

If a male member of staff made a genitalia based comment to a female member of staff they would be lucky to keep their job. In the age of equality, we can't have double standards can we?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would report the female staff for offensive and inappropriate remarks.

If a male member of staff made a genitalia based comment to a female member of staff they would be lucky to keep their job. In the age of equality, we can't have double standards can we?

Plus one to that!
And they allow such purile , pittiful fools to teach?
Sick, sad world!

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
Maybe just describe the club to the kids and get them to come up with a name - makes them feel like its their club. Not that you should have to, no doubt if a male were to have made those comments,he have been sacked by now.

Good luck with the club.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE