Bushcraft by any other name

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What do you reckon?

• Love "Bushcraft"

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Hate "Bushcraft"

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Think "Wildcraft" is much better!

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Goose said:
I usually go for a "play or bimble in the woods". To me it is much the same as fishing, having an excuse to escape from the house and do nothing or just pottering about without costing anything, or much anyway :eek: .
When I get there I may play with a knife and a stick, make a brew, light a fire or have a go at doing what I saw (whoever) do. I like to be able to experiment and try new things, even though they are old skills :confused: , and it is more satisfying to do things a different way whether it is making a fire without matches or using free resources to make something useful.
The Name is unimportant but when asked I do use the term bushcraft as non bushcrafti types understand that, I like the term backwoods(man/skills) but it gets confusing to explain, sounds too like backwards! :eek:

That's pretty much exactly how I see it too Mate :D

Maybe it's "Escapecraft" for a lot of us.........but even that just sounds like a James Bond prop! :lmao:

Bam. :D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I'm with most here. Not really that bothered.

To me it's just "going out".

I appreciate the term "Bushcraft" as like most it asociates and identifies with most people with regards to Ray's work. It also saves a lengthy explanation as to what we do. "Oh you're like Ray Mears then?"...."Yes, just as round only nowhere near as good, but i live in hope!"

It steers us away from the "Survivalist" term. Now if that is your particular thing then good on you, we all have our interests and i support anyone who wants to expand their knowledge base and learn new skills, it's just not for me!
The description leads people to belive you are DPM wearing, hole in the ground living, worm omelette eating camo cream wearing nutters carrying 15inch knives. Again a sweeping generalisation and i apoligise for any upset caused, but the few i have met have been just that :D

Nor for that matter do i ram the term "Bushcraft" down peoples throat either. If i do get talking to people when i am out and they notice my lack of equipment/different equipment to theirs i have been mistaken for a mountain guide, park ranger and so on.
If they ask me "Are you a survival expert/ bushcrafter?" a common reply from me is........
......"No, just out for a walk" :)

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
You people must be really bored.

I just tell swmbo I'm goinng down the back, and she knows whats going on. We live on 3 acres of heavy bush, that backs onto a national park.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I call it 'Bushcraft' because some of my friends and family would not have a clue what I was on about or up to.

They have all seen the TV series with Ray Mears and now understand what it is and appreciate what I enjoy doing. (After asking them to watch a programme)

They all think I am off my rocker!! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE