Bushcraft by any other name

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What do you reckon?

• Love "Bushcraft"

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Hate "Bushcraft"

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Think "Wildcraft" is much better!

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I know I´m on BushcraftUK :nono: but the word "Bushcraft" has always kind of annoyed me! Can´t we call it something else like Wildcraft or something? What do you think?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
How about giving a bit of detail on the reasons you don't like the term......do you think it's inaccurate in describing the activities currently associated with it?...is there a better term?....is there something more traditional you prefer?....why does it annoy you? I'm sure people will be interested to hear your reasons ;)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I don't like the term bushcraft either. To me the bush is another name for the Australian outback. Survival, I think is good enough, since bushcraft is about (I think... :confused: ) coping outdoors in one way or another.

But I don't really care that much. It sure seems to have spread interest for the subject in the UK. Over here, noone knows any other term than survival.

I do however see the need for a different term than survival, as it is too charged for most people. Noone wants to be a survival geek. Unless you have been in a war or something you will always seem like a wannabe.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
falcon said:
How about giving a bit of detail on the reasons you don't like the term......do you think it's inaccurate in describing the activities currently associated with it?...is there a better term?....is there something more traditional you prefer?....why does it annoy you? I'm sure people will be interested to hear your reasons ;)

Uhh Ok :rolleyes: . Yes!...Yes!(see suggestion).....Not really (outdoorsmanship sounds just as poncy)...... Don´t like it mainly becuse I´ve never done anything in the "bush" and nor have most of the people who call themselves bushcrafters. It sounds so middle class and horticultural.....kind of a PC version of Survival as it used to be known.......I doubt it!
:D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I don't much like the term either, but I don't like survival, primitive technology, earth skills or wilderness skills either.

I'm with Wayland on this one.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I don't really think that the word itself really matters that much anymore, as long as the perception of the activity connected to the word is reasonably accurate.

I'm quite happy with it. Generally when I use the word 'bushcraft' to people who aren't 'into it', they understand what I mean, because they'll say "really, so you're like Ray Mears". And I will say, "umm..yes, sort of - only not as good".

The fact that they've seen Ray doing it on the telly and he seems like a nice well adjusted man and not some sort of "SAS wannabe survival nutter" piques their interest - from here I can get talking to them about the wider aspects of woodcraft, firelighting, primitive tech., shetler building, foraging / food gathering, tracking / nature observation etc etc......

I expect there's a Backpacking forum somewhere on which there is a discussion amongst a group pf backpackers about how they don't like the word 'backpackers'.

The label itself doesn't really bother me unless it carries with it a 'negative' connotation.

I'm quite happy to have myself associated with the general public's perception of what 'bushcraft' is.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I don't think there is a better or worse word to decribe what 'bushcraft' is all about. I see bushcraft as being able to survive in the wilderness if need be, learning traditional skills, being involved with nature and all sorts of other things and skills.

I don't think that one word could ever sum up what bushcraft is all about so why not leave it as it is?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Its just a name, like "Driving" - the name for the thing we do when in a car! etc etc.
Before hearing the term "Bushcraft" on the TV, being bandied around by Mr Mears, I had always considered the skills to be collectively known as "Backwoodsmanship" though its a bit more of a mouthfull than Bushcraft!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I'm quite happy with bushcraft, in the 'living out in the bush' kind of sense. I think 'survival' is more being forced to do it rather than choosing to, although our Scouts will always call it survival 'cos it sounds more exciting! We do still use the term 'backwoods cooking' though.

Wildcraft sounds a bit odd and no-one would know what it meant!

I agree that it doesn't matter much what you call it as long as you get out there, bushcraft is handy 'cos everyone know's what it means (thanks mostly to Mr Mears!).

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i have to say i like the term bushcraft and i dont think wildcraft sounds all that good, i dont like the term survival either
leon

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I don't love the word, but don't hate it. It has a nice ring compared to most of the others I've heard.

Wilderness Ways, Woods Craft, Woods Lore, Camp Craft... The Scouts over here use Wilderness Survival Skills.

Bushcraft is a fine name come to think of it!

Yes, really don't like Wildcraft! :lmao:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I think the term "Bushcraft" is the best known name for what we do, predominantly due to the Ray Mears series of the same name, but I don't really care what folks what to call it. Bushcraft is easier on the tongue than Backwoodsmanship even though the latter is probably a more accurate term for what we in the UK actually practice. I grew up thinking of the various sjkills we employ whilst out and about as "Field-skills" or "Fieldcraft", but as we tend to do most of our playing in the woods I guess that this is a little misleading.
I guess it's pretty much like Ed says, give it a few years and they'll come up with some other name anyway. Who cares, as long as we still get out there and enjoy doing our own thing in our own way?

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I don't mind it, I'm in agreement with Dommyracer, I've had the same responce as him. It seems a people friendly title for those who don't participate. I don't like calling it Fieldcraft because that for me has completely different connertations, crawling or running around a field/wood with a rifle.

Brian

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Right first up I have to admit "wildcraft" is about as pants a name as you could come up with and I put it up tongue in cheek. I'm really pleased no one voted for it!

Secondly...Obviously Ray used "bushcraft" deliberately to distance his enjoyment of the outdoors from the knife collecting, camo. wearing, survival nutter cliché and thank you Ray for that.

My real gripe is what "bushcraft" is starting to mean/stand for - Domyracer's negative connotation; or at least it's a negative image for me. I see "Bushcraft" as having been taken over by the drive 30 miles in your 4by4 to strip a hedgerow of blackberries, leave your beer cans next to a smouldering abandoned fire, and drive the length of the country with enough kit to set up a small shop types. At best it’s like Ray’s “bushcraft” has been whittled down to sleeping in a hammock and fire by friction.

So my original ambivalence to the word has changed to distinct discomfort and I want to call myself something else.

I like Backwoodsman! :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I usually go for a "play or bimble in the woods". To me it is much the same as fishing, having an excuse to escape from the house and do nothing or just pottering about without costing anything, or much anyway :eek: .
When I get there I may play with a knife and a stick, make a brew, light a fire or have a go at doing what I saw (whoever) do. I like to be able to experiment and try new things, even though they are old skills :confused: , and it is more satisfying to do things a different way whether it is making a fire without matches or using free resources to make something useful.
The Name is unimportant but when asked I do use the term bushcraft as non bushcrafti types understand that, I like the term backwoods(man/skills) but it gets confusing to explain, sounds too like backwards! :eek:

Reactions: bambodoggy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE