Bushcraft Booze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
Here's something i've wondered on many a drunk night .. tonight inclusive...:

Has anyone any recipes for some bushcraft drinks, or ideally something with a special touch?

I'm sat here enjoying a nice ginger beer, i'd love to be able to whip something up a bit more .. home made, or ideally - bush made!

I'd love to be able to find something to mix with a ginger root and a splash of whisky/bourbon for a nice hearty drink, or maybe somehow come up with the alcamahol itself from out in the woods? Or even some funky drinks to spice up the iodine/puritab'd water (for those of us not lucky enough to be near super fresh water).

-JB

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1. If you're into wine making then muscadine wine comes to mind.
2. If that's not your thing then 1 part moonshine to 2 or 3 parts grapefruit juice.
3. For something more traditional to the UK; scrumpy.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I remember watching mears and he said that an ich cube made from birch sap with a mint leaf inside goes well with a single malt.

Gonna be hard to find a freezer in the woods but it's sort of bushy.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If you're out and about put some sweet bruised petals in stuff to see if it will infuse over a few hours to make the original beverage better?

Or just make some fruit beers from stuff you've gatherd.

I've made lots of wine and I've never really enjoyed it that much, it takes too long to brew and age.

But fruit beer is done in 2 days and is fizzy! Ginger beer is a doddle to make.

Recipe and instrcutions:

Sterilise one 2 litre bottle (boiling water or sterilising tablets).

add one and a half cups of sugar, table spoon of honey (optional) to a pint boiling water and let disolve and cool.

grate a lemon sized ginger root and stuff it into the clean bottle along with the juice of half a lemon. (add some peel if you wish)

add the cooled sugar water to the bottle along with half a teaspoon of champagne or wine yeast and give it a good shake!

top the rest up with water so it's a few inches under the cup..

leave the cap on tight! as this will let it get all fizzy!

let it rest somewhere warm and make sure you check it a few times a day to release some pressure (slowly) so it doesn't explode or leak.

2 days later filter the contents through muslin cloth (or a pair of clean tights) to get the bits out and pour into another clean 2 litre bottle. remnants of yeast will bring back any lost fizz ina few hours.

I'd say it'll turn out about 4 % if done right.

repalce the ginger with bits of strong fruit and you can make anything work.

Hope this helps mate!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I am trying a Rowan berry drink at the moment, just water sugar and a little yeast though I found a receipi that just uses the berries and water,, it is slowly starting to taste okay if a little potatoeish from the starch:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oak leaf wine is a very good summer drink...

cherries are good and the results can be drunk straight away, as with the oak leaf.

plum wine is awesome but takes a year to mature, the same as nettle.

rose pettle wine is stunning and is drinkable straight of.

cider is good too, still some apples about, windfalls are very good for cider.

elder flower very easy, elder berry really good, both drinkable straight off.

or pick some sloes and add them to vodka gin whiskey or any poisen of your choice, you can do the same with strawberries, raspberries and blueberryies make wonderfull brandy.

it all depends on how much time you have and what you want to do, how quickly you want results etc etc....

give me a pm if you need any details...:)

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
Maybe we should put a recipe book together..

From experience, nettle & elderflower cordial is great and simple to make. Whack both together, grind it up, add sugar, water, make a viscious cordial and strain, stick some leaves of both in the bottle, leave it for as long as you can wait (before it goes funny colours..) and consume!

Nettle beer is also doable, but don't store it too long.. my sister's stash exploded on a similar scale to 1kg of semtex. Her basement isn't quite the same now..

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Nettle beer is also doable, but don't store it too long.. my sister's stash exploded on a similar scale to 1kg of semtex. Her basement isn't quite the same now..

to much sugar when it was primed or dirty bottles, just thank god it was not raspberry shanmpers.....never again...;)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
OK I am an bushcrafter who is also a bit of an alcoholic who falls out of a small plane onto a nice patch of soft bracken:rolleyes:, I have clasped to my hand a plastic bottle with the remnants of the last of my whisky and coke:cool:

In line with this thread, is it possible for me to make an alcoholic brew with only wild stuff and me plastic bottle? No yeast except what is between me toes:), no jars, no nuffink!?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE