Bushcraft and survival skills magazine!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
why ok its got adverts in but can you buy a bushcraft magazine off the shelf ? no you cant so fair play to those involved in it ! i prefer the bushcraft magazine myself buts thats me .

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Well, you said if I don't like it. Don't read or bitch about it. And you didn't like what I wrote and then proceeded to moan about it. And ofcourse there is some good information in it. But there isn't £5 worth. Two fivers gets me a day trouting. One fiver gets a good book.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
It's not the adverts I'm against. I am infact in the Market for a few things. It's the lack of content I'm not happy with. Another 5-10 stories/articles and it would be better. I'm giving bushcraft magazine a try now after several reccomendations.

Mang

Settler
I agree with all you said except the last bit. I think bringing the Bushcraft Show to the north may be it's finest hour. Everything always happens south of Watford and why?? London and it's surrounds is an awful place and you'll go a long way to find a more beautiful setting than Windemere. The outdoor show is moving to London this year I believe so there's another decent show flushed down the toilet.

I need to rephrase what I put. I'm pleased that it's in a beautiful location (I went to the YMCA centre as a teenager and have fond memories) and it's great that the north has this event. By risky I mean it's a solo venture away from the 'safety' of an organised show in London, NEC etc...it's an investment of much time and I dare say capital, not risky that it's in the north.

I'm an adopted southerner y'know!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Well at the end of the day. You can tell me all about everyones qualifications and authority. None of which I doubted, except maybe the frozen chips guy.

That DO article was reproduced with permission from the Naughty Corner members who were on a Midlands Meet at Rough Close here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=667758#post667758

Having been in the woods for a couple of days already and many attending the Outdoors Show it was easier and quicker to buy in the chicken and frozen chips.

The complete thread on the process can be seen in this thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54765&highlight=chicken+and+chips

The original thread was intended to show the cooking capabilities of a dutch oven and not the ingredients used.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Well at the end of the day. You can tell me all about everyones qualifications and authority. None of which I doubted, except maybe the frozen chips guy. But at the end of the day I found myself feeling ripped off. £5 is a lot for a magazine, you could buy a wild food hand book for that. Which I would at least learn something from. It is also about the quantity of articles and information. I certainly won't be buying the magazine again. Although if they do a course for £25 that would be great. I guess I just expected more for a fiver
I think your getting a bit muddled with the mags. I believe the one you bought was The Bushcraft and Survival Magazine. The one I (and I think John) mentioned, that does the £25 courses, is just called The Bushcraft Magazine (No Survival Bit)
Courses http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk/forum/index.php
Your mag http://www.bushcraftmagazine.co.uk/
that little Hyphen makes a great deal of difference IMHO ;)

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Well im rather pleased with the Bushcraft/ survival skills magazine, it really depends on where your interests lie in bushcraft. Although I would be rather interested in seeing a BUshcraft Uk's own magazine. I do like your sense of humour though!:D

Last edited:

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
i have to admit i found the magazine lacking in content myself but what was in there is good ie sharpening an axe(just bought my first one so handy) and the dutch oven article (now want one for family camping holidays) and of course yours pablo ;) what would would really make it for me would be newbie guides maybe one or two every issue ie fire lighting,setting up a hammock/tarp,camp fire cooking,and some carving basics.i'm going to buy the next one and give it a chance and not just judge it on the first issue i've bought as for the bushcraft show in the lakes i'm hoping to make it and good luck to them for organising it

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
With regards to the Dutch oven comments. I stand by my opinion on that. If you can nip to buy frozen chips, your not really out in the woods are you? That's just my humble opinion. Maybe useful information like quartering the chicken for example, would have made it more informative. Also maybe some wild food recipes. Or even something that was actually foraged that day. But like somebody else commented, I'd have liked some basic stuff in there. Like different tarp set ups. I mean I can whack a tarp up and stay warm and dry. But I was looking for tips and gleamings of knowledge. I'm going to give bushcraftmagazine a go now. Also I'd like to say. I'm sure the writers for bushcraftand survival magazine are knowledgable and passionate people. Maybe it's commercial issues that weigh the mag down. But it's not what I wanted. I'll save my money and buy books and get out and about.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I reckon some of the trouble with a bushcraft magazine is that there's really nowt new under the sun. So it's going to be a challenge to say the least to find new content every issue. Seasonal foraging for example, in twelve months time you're back where you started and will no doubt get people moaning about the same old stuff being in the magazine.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Over the years i have spent a fortune on magazines from s.w.a.t. to sailing , back street heroes to woodworking .
but now i can find more info and stories on the net , so i very rarely buy them anymore .

Craig.............

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I reckon some of the trouble with a bushcraft magazine is that there's really nowt new under the sun. So it's going to be a challenge to say the least to find new content every issue. Seasonal foraging for example, in twelve months time you're back where you started and will no doubt get people moaning about the same old stuff being in the magazine.

as lurch says, theres only so much you can say on any subject, and if its a magazine then eventually they will rehash and trot out the same old stuff. advertising pays the bills its a shame they havnt got the right balance. i bought 'bushcraft and survival' from issue 1, you should see the early copies, plenty of well writen info with virtually no ads! albeit not many pages :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE