Bush Hygiene

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi Aussiebushcraft

Welcome to Bcuk.

I tend to try and have a good wash every day if water is no issue i just boil
a billy full and use my trusty plastic bowl.

The hand jell you can get is good to and dont forget weet wipes.

Swagman

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wash, swim, wetwipes or go dirty are my options in order of preference (weather dependant!)
I have seen field showers rigged from tin cans with holes in the base with a friend filling the can for the person washing and have used a solar heated commercial field shower once.
I have also used a "Sweat lodge" folowed by a dip in a stream - but these days I am not sure my heart would take that again!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
  • Alcohol hand gel for after toileting and before eating.
  • Large zip lock bag with foot powder (boots and socks off for as long as possible, dip feet in bag).
  • Clean socks every day.
  • If water no problem, boil a billy and have a flannel wash.
  • If water scarce - wet wipe wash.
  • Wear natural fibres rather than synthetic - they stay fresher for longer.

HTH

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good old soap and hot water for me in the morning, and the evaporating hand cleanser stuff as I`m going along during the day.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Yep pretty much as everyone else, a warm water and flannel wash daily with either wet wipes or cleansing rub before eating. If I am solo in a fairly remote or secluded area a complete strip wash first thing is really refreshing. One of those collapsible bowls are an ideal item for this with no weight and takes up next to no space. The solar shower units are cheap and effective for longer term and should be well suited to your part of the world. I also know someone that uses a watering can filled with warm water hoisted by the top handle up a tree and a pull cord around the spout with the rose fitted when he goes with the vehicle.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Sniper, your bloody brave doing the full wash in your area LOL

Flannel and wet wipes for me, evaporating hand wash for meals and toilet.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
...well - to be completely truthful, I like being dirty...grin. Washing of my face in the morning is refreshing, but other than that (and some care for the nether regions as required) I can be dirty for a long time...and still be comfortable.

Toothpicks are great for teeth brushing...er, picking.

If it's a group camp setting, we insist on a bleach or disinfectant hand wash prior to food preparation.

D

• Alcohol hand gel for after toileting and before eating.
  • Large zip lock bag with foot powder (boots and socks off for as long as possible, dip feet in bag).
  • Clean socks every day.
  • If water no problem, boil a billy and have a flannel wash.
  • If water scarce - wet wipe wash.
  • Wear natural fibres rather than synthetic - they stay fresher for longer.

HTH

Simon

I love your idea of powder in a zip lock for dipping your feet. Simple, but brilliant!

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Greetings,
Just to add a thought to the popular idea of carrying a bag of foot powder. I frequently carry this with me and apply it before every day of hiking, seems to dramatically reduce blisters and general soreness. My addition, is to add powdered menthol to the foot powder. Can be very difficult to find but worth it. Smells so good on application it practically makes you hungry and at the end of the day, the dastardly foot odour is much depreciated.

My personal list of hygiene:
  • Daily washing of face/neck without soap in the nearest body of water
  • Before meal use of non-alcohol based hand sanitizer
  • Foot powder bath in the mornings
  • Clean socks daily, with a rinse in clean water, subsequent drying on exteriour of pack
  • Nearly daily bathing. Grab the biggest billy, strip by the water, pour fresh water over head, fill the billy, go appropriate distance from water source, lather up (in summer only) with biodegradable soap (Dr. Bronner's by choice), slowly pour billy over body, dry off and get dressed.
Even with nightly lows below 0C I will follow this routine. It helps to fire the metabolism up and I find that I sleep warmer and am more able to maintain warmth during the day. The soap is not strictly necessary, as I find just the rinsing action of the water is adequate to feel clean and refreshed.

In winter conditions, I do note bathe as often simply because it it too cold without the benefit of hot-tent. However, many of the potential problems can be countered by the use carefully shaped snowballs rather than loo paper. Digging through 2m of snow to the ground is not on the top of the priority list, simply a 30cm cathole in the snow and make your deposit and the 'paper' is all around you, just grab, shape, and clean thyself. This has a triple purpose of wiping and washing and blotting all at the same time.

Just my thoughts

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Alcohol sanitizers work well, but remember, you need to wash off dirt to maintain its efficiency, so at least a good rinse/scrub with cold water first, then the alcohol before prepping food, plus keep your nails short and clean

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
also with hand sanitizers, the highstreet ones are less potent, due to alchoholics liking them as a tipple. Order the medical grade ones if you can, or look for ones that are 60% alcohol.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Grey Owl --- I'd add that certain gymnastics while relieving oneself can reduce the amount of washing required.....because, let's face it...snow crusts can be WAY too sharp....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I must seem really mucky to you, I eat what I find when out, and I don't wash it or my hands first usually. I'm vegetarian though, so meat and fish are never part of my diet. I eat the weeds as I'm working in the garden so must have a fair old immunity to a lot of stuff.

I do wash when out........joke, I'm a Scot, it's written into my contract with my maker, must be rained on at least twice a day :rolleyes: :D

I use the old fashioned two flannels. One for tops and one for bottoms. Seems to work fine though I do feel grungy when I can't wash my hair......I can manage an entire scrub, hair and all in 500ml of water, and so can the female friends I camp with.....and if we can't get it warm, a cold burn will do. It just doesn't feel comfortable not to wash. Besides, there's always the rain ;)

I only really wash my hands after loo stops or if I'm cooking for someone else.
Muddy is a state of happiness :D

atb,
Toddy

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
aah the old mess tin bath - pint of luke warm water, soap and washing all over with that days socks turned inside out.

glorious :)

you cant beat a good bar of soap or something like mountain suds to do everything with. simple but effective.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE