Bush Hygiene

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Camp hygiene is important, but we have evolved to tolerate the bacteria in our environment. There can be some nasties in faeces so you should always wash your hands before preparing food or straight after the loo. Anyone who has had kids though soon gets over their squeamish negative conditioning about phoo, after all it did come out of you so can’t be all bad.
Your bug problem in most countries is animal faeces, as this harbours parasite eggs and some nasty microbes. The most prominent of which is E-coli, which is a naturally occurring bug pretty much everywhere, even our own skin. Bush campers very rarely suffer from bacterial ingestion problems as we tend not to store uncooked or cooked food for any time in a state that allows large accumulations of bacteria to be produced. The possible exception being the dreaded ‘trots’, which is usually a result of flies landing on your food after cooking in the field. (Or someone not washing their hands)
Bacteria only really become a problem when foods are mixed up, say mince meat, the surface bacteria on the meat are distributed through the food and then have a party. Any chunk of meat or vegetable will only have surface bacteria unless rotten, so a quick dunk in hot water or a roasting will kill them all off. Even cooking a dodgy beef burger thoroughly through will kill all the bacteria, it’s the nasty chemicals left over from their partying that are not so good.
Daft as it sounds, you are probably more at risk of E-coli poisoning in the pleasant pastures of England than some far-flung wilderness. The rabbits alone, not to mention sheep spread E-coli literally everywhere.
As for personal hygiene, I just take a bar of unscented glycerine soap, toothbrush, toothpaste and some foot powder and most importantly a small natural sponge. The foot powder is used every night before bed (looking after your feet in the bush is paramount, especially if they have been wet), the soap is used every other day to bathe with one Billy of water (warmed if you feel a bit wimpy) and the sponge. The soap is also used to clean base layer every other day and to wash hands before cooking.
It is quite possible to get a full body soap wash with 1 litre of water and a sponge.The sponge will also dry you surprisingly quickly, dry much faster than those horribly expensive pack towels, and pack to nothing.

. The main reason for keeping your body clean is that it helps you regulate your temperature much more efficiently and the same goes for your base layers. (Apparently, though I’m told this by someone else, your sweat is near chemically identical to urine... makes you think.)
If I’m caught short somewhere where there’s no water, I just sterilise my hands with a bit of mentholated spirit from my burner rather than waste drinking water. I think this alcohol gel is a bit unnecessary if you travel light.
Anyhow, that’s what I think, and the wife thinks I don’t smell of anything but wood smoke when I eventually come home.....

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
...well - to be completely truthful, I like being dirty...grin. Washing of my face in the morning is refreshing, but other than that (and some care for the nether regions as required) I can be dirty for a long time...and still be comfortable.

Toothpicks are great for teeth brushing...er, picking.

If it's a group camp setting, we insist on a bleach or disinfectant hand wash prior to food preparation.

D

This is the way I do it too.
In winter I use a handful of snow instead of water.
And so do most of my buddies too (in the woods that is:) ).

Tor

J

Jazzman

Bar of soap and a mess tin does the trick along with the toothbrush and razor, oh and a flannel for being away from running water (I find camping next to a loch/lake or river is good as you can just get in it with your soap!)

Wet wipes are also very good for a "quick fix" and are excellent for removing cam-cream.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Basic strip wash Sandsnakes way.

I sort of worked this out because as a diabetic I/we need to be more aware of cuts, fungal infections etc, etc. I devised the technique from my history of ‘stealth camping’, wanting to be clean but not carrying a lot of water.

Sleep dry and walk wet. Clean under clothes every second day. Us semi synthetic that breath and dry rapidly, same for base layers.

Heat a crusader half full of water to the point of being very warm/hot water. If its from a gypsy well or unknown source boil it and add a steriliser pill. The pill is to ensure your mug is bacteria free after the wash up. Critical point that most people don’t realise that they get bugs from plates and cups as well.

Use two wipes.

At this point clean under nails with a small twig.

1st wipe Clean friction areas feet, toes, armpits, groin, bum.- dispose

2nd wipe Clean neck, behind ears, face and hands, clean under your nails. – dispose

Take small corner of shemagh (Arab head scarf) dip in hot water and wring dry, go over areas that have a ‘soapy’ feel. Dry as you go with rest of scarf .

The idea is to be fully clean before you apply any water to your body, the water is only for removing the soap from the skin not actually for washing. On a dry warm day you may not need the water as the wipe may have dried off immediately. Hang scarf to dry, technically its clean as it has not been used as a wash cloth as such. Or place around neck and body heat will do the rest.

The idea of this technique is that you are looking for ticks in hidden places, folds of the skin etc, fungal infections, friction sores, festering cuts, blisters etc.

It’s a great one to teach to little boys who are noted for being filthy!:lmao:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you want to be really Bushcrafty, you can use Horse Chestnut leaves for soap as they contain high levels of saponin.

Otherwise I just take a pack of baby-wipes.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
After reading somewhere that mozzies and noseeums are attracted to the scents in hygene products I'm all for a scentless biodegradable soap. I noticed this was true at the moot, the day I arrived I'd not had a bath for a day and the biters didn't bother me, that night I went to the shower, used Pantene shampoo and conditioner and a bar of coal tar soap (smells lovely) and for the rest of my stay, I was bitten all over.

The only reason I had a shower was 'cause it was there and I haven't had a proper shower for ages, just bloody baths:(

Anyway, I'm like Toddy :D

Two flannels, one for top and one for bottom. Soap up, rinse flannel and soap off, dry with shemag.

I hate my hair feeling greasy so I'll soap that as well if I've enough water, if not then a good pull through with a brush can help. If it gets too greasy, talcum powder at the roots and then brushed through can relieve it for another couple of days, but after that, it's either put up and shut up or find more water.

Adding another dose of talc generally results in looking like you have been plastered by a blind meth addict.

If I don't have talc then silty dirt or fuller's earth works just as well.

Feet get aired but if it's cold I'll use fuller's earth, talc or simply find some dry silty dirt to rub in to dry them off and then I'll brush that off with my socks. The socks get washed after with the soapy body water if needed, I wring the flannel into a bowl for the purpose.

If it's really cold, I'll use wetwipes, but I'm not usually out when it's really cold.

--

I've just researched fuller's earth a bit more and found out some really interesting things, for example it's commonly used in the east as a dry shampoo, it treats nappy rash, it absorbs excess oil and I'm guessing is anti fungicidal (based on what it does for nappy rash), great for the avoidance of trenchfoot perhaps? And as an added brucey bonus, it's completely 100% natural :D

I've got long hair and when my hair gets too greasy I work in a small amount of the dry ash from the fire, at the roots. It works really well and if you wanted to you could rinse it out, but I've never bothered. I just reapply, a little bit, every other day. I have to make sure that I brush my hair, as it will go to dreds very quickly otherwise, especially with the drying effect of the ash.

I always take anti fungal talc for my feet and clean them every evening with warm soapy water. Although I'm sure I could replace the talc with ash. I've never tried it though.

My hands will get a good wash in soapy water before food prep and cooking. If I'm staying on the land I might take some diluted milton with me to wash my hands in - only if I'm cooking for others though.

The rest of me doesn't need cleaning (except a nightly 'bits' wash in warm soapy water) unless it's been hot and I've been very active. I'll use ash, mixed to a thick paste with water, if I want to clean my armpits. Wiping it off with a damp sock. Seems to be a good deo - but I'm probably imagining it!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Keep mind you can get disposable 'teeth wipes' at the chemist,which with a toothpick will suffice instead of carrying a brush and paste for a few days out.

Rod

On a new journey
When I can:

• heat water in billy to " as hot as I can stand it temp"
  • strip down to the old birthday suit in a secluded spot
  • coal tar or glycerin soap and a piece of an old trek towel (aka a chammi)
  • wash and wipe esp. in the nooks and crannies
  • don't shave unless I really have to
  • I believe this is what is known as a "***** bath"?
  • use antibac wipes and hand gel in between times
  • boil chammi to sterilize after use. Dries fast as manmade
  • use shemagh to dry up - this dries fast too
  • change socks and grundies every other day unless in Norway: in which case wear 'em till they walk by themselves, sorry mother :eek:
  • clean teeth every day as this is important! (I'm also diabetic)
  • check for ticks at each "bath time" - little buggers!

luddy

Oct 27, 2008
SW
Sage twigs for teeth. Green hazel is quite good too.
No shaving, lol. If you don't like women with hairy legs, stay away from me when I've been out and about.
Collapsible bucket, cold water and microfibre cloth - herbs in the water if I can find them
Alcohol gel for after number 2's.
I've got my hair short so a quick wash once a week. It's grey so the dirt doesn't show. ;-)
Way past the menopause so no need for sanitary products
Bare feet as often as possible
Keep nails short and clean

J

Jazzman

I've just researched fuller's earth a bit more and found out some really interesting things, for example it's commonly used in the east as a dry shampoo, it treats nappy rash, it absorbs excess oil and I'm guessing is anti fungicidal (based on what it does for nappy rash), great for the avoidance of trenchfoot perhaps? And as an added brucey bonus, it's completely 100% natural :D

It is also used religiously in a military capacity as a means of absorbing agents used in Chemical and Biological Warfare. (ie. nerve agents, blister agents, some bacterial spores)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
When I can:

• heat water in billy to " as hot as I can stand it temp"
  • strip down to the old birthday suit in a secluded spot
  • coal tar or glycerin soap and a piece of an old trek towel (aka a chammi)
  • wash and wipe esp. in the nooks and crannies
  • don't shave unless I really have to
  • I believe this is what is known as a "***** bath"?
  • use antibac wipes and hand gel in between times
  • boil chammi to sterilize after use. Dries fast as manmade
  • use shemagh to dry up - this dries fast too
  • change socks and grundies every other day unless in Norway: in which case wear 'em till they walk by themselves, sorry mother :eek:
  • clean teeth every day as this is important! (I'm also diabetic)
  • check for ticks at each "bath time" - little buggers!

Totally agree, cleanliness is next to godliness. I think its really important to keep clean especially where ticks and similar are concerned. If the weather is really cold, I'll still put a capfull of Detol in a mess tin of water, dip the corner of the towel in and give the old pits and bits a good wipe, and brush my teeth.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Totally agree, cleanliness is next to godliness. I think its really important to keep clean especially where ticks and similar are concerned. If the weather is really cold, I'll still put a capfull of Detol in a mess tin of water, dip the corner of the towel in and give the old pits and bits a good wipe, and brush my teeth.

You brush your teeth with detol:eek: thats well hard! :lmao: :lmao: :D

Sandsnakes

J

Jazzman

Loving the Billy Conelly reference, it's the cure for everything!

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Mud, mud, glorious mud. If it is clean river mud (silt) you can use it to wash. Smear it on liberaly, scrub it about, then hop in the river to rinse. If water is scarce, then scrub with damp mud. Let it dry, and brush it off.
Kids just love this method of washing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE