bush craft virgin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Im new to all this and have just packed my bag for a bit off real camping or what ever you want to call it, im heading out bright and early tomorrow morning. i have no idea what im doing so i have filled my bag with as much as i can carry, and hope to have a fun time but can anyone tell is there any must have's before i head up the mourne mountains in the morning

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
:)
Fully charged mobile phone and FAK (first aid kit), for emergencies.

Have a great time.

2nded. If your taking sharps of any sort take the FAK and i would now consider a mobile the best piece of a FAK.

Have fun! Be safe.:)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
One of my mistakes when I started out was thinking that you need a load of kit to go out camping but that really isn't the case! You really only need the basics - some kind of shelter, sleeping bag, matches/lighter if you are using a fire and some food! Anything more than that is really just to make things easier/comfier. Go out, give it a bash and if you enjoy it then you can invest in some of the other things!

Good luck :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
i got a map i cant read and a GPS i cant use what could go wrong??:):):)

know the feeling. Last weekend I was in Brecon with some serious walkers. Managed to blister up my heel very early on in the day and had to bow out. So after fighting them off from taking my lunch I headed home. Only thing was they had the map. Fortunately I had GPS and used the track back. But looking back I could have ended up in real trouble.

So I would suggest plan your route and let someone know it too. Have an arranged check-in time. Think about what you are carrying, clothing - layers are good. Space blanket (mine's in my FAK) emergency BIVI. Food and water. Mobile, GPS + spare batteries (and maybe the user manual ;)). Map and a camera. A knife if you really think you need one, I know that won't make me popular on here, but if you don't need it don't take it.

Have fun and let us know how you get on

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Welcome Bob.

Mountains of Mourne?

Na Beanna Boirche?

Ach, you'll be fine. They "sweep down to the sea", so your blisters are sorted anyway. :D

Let us know how you get on fella.

All the best,

Liam

i got back from my wee trip this morning, i did not push my self to hard so i would not end up some were i could not get back from lol i did manage to lose my jacket lol. not big went wrong i had a tarp and ground sheet for shelter but pitched it on a bit off a hill so kept sliding out off in so woke up with wet feet so its kinda funny. i lit a fire with my fire stick and done a bit off cooking so im happy with what i managed to do. everything in baby steps and I will be bear grills in no time lol:lmao:

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
If you cant run to a full FAK a roll of good insulation tape and stout tissue has held my sorry carcass together more than once !! (aka Man Plasters!)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Irishbob; I've done that "pitch your tent on a hillside bit" and slide off my Thermarest all night long! What misery.

Glad you made it back. Looks like you took it all in stride!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE