Bush classes on BcUSA.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Well I got a Blue Peter badge AND a Cracker Jack pencil so there
Last edited by rik_uk3; Yesterday at 02:34. Reason: AND I was in the Tinger and Tucker Club

ahh noel gordon, fine woman:D

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's the irony. You have to have one if your job requires you to work with a chainsaw. Health & Safety, insurance and all that. A lot of proper dealers wont sell you a Husky or Stihl without a cert either, though you can buy em from ebay or the cheap Chinese ones from the local garden centre. It's daft really.

Loggers here would never agree to it. Nor most country people for that matter (I don't know anyone living in the country that doesn't own one or more chainsaws)

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Loggers here would never agree to it. Nor most country people for that matter (I don't know anyone living in the country that doesn't own one or more chainsaws)

There is no law that requires it, you can own as many as you like certificate or not, it's just that our H&S paranoid industry is certification mad and you wont get Forestry Commission work that requires you to use one without it.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There is no law that requires it, you can own as many as you like certificate or not, it's just that our H&S paranoid industry is certification mad and you wont get Forestry Commission work that requires you to use one without it.

None of the loggers I know work for the Forest Service. In fact I don't even know OF any who do. Loggers are independent contractors here. Having said that, no logger I know of would hire a sawyer unless he's been handling a chainsaw since he was a teenager.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Seems like you fellas are heading down the same road....

http://www.hikealabama.org/content/usfs-announces-chainsaw-certification-course

...it's a slippery slope mate. ;)

The USFS doesn't have that authority. It may make it a requirement for all Forest Service land but that's a miniscule amount of federal property. And Forest Service land + all other fedreal land is a miniscule amount of the amount of the timberland. Most is private property; either large tracts owned by the timber companies or small farmland with a timber crop. I own 73 acres combined grazing and timber land myself (about half in each type with two ponds)

But you're right; it is a slippery slope. That is if anyone pays attention to the reg. (that's highly unlikely)

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Just had a look at this all over at BCUSA, it does look fun. I can see the argument about elitism (seems that is very common in the UK, unfortunately) too. But the structured learning system would be of great benefit to many. Really not sure of the badges though, I mean the whole three tiered thing is so very Hells Angels! Also I really wouldn't wanna walk around with the word 'BASIC' on my jacket!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The USFS doesn't have that authority. It may make it a requirement for all Forest Service land but that's a miniscule amount of federal property. And Forest Service land + all other fedreal land is a miniscule amount of the amount of the timberland. Most is private property; either large tracts owned by the timber companies or small farmland with a timber crop. I own 73 acres combined grazing and timber land myself (about half in each type with two ponds)

But you're right; it is a slippery slope. That is if anyone pays attention to the reg. (that's highly unlikely)

It was much easier to regulate here. I bet we have less than 1% of the woodland you have and most of it is FC land.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a fun activity for folks that want to learn with or without the badge or certificate.
Makes no difference if its on here as its on there, so folks can come on here to chill or there to do :)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
The USFS doesn't have that authority. It may make it a requirement for all Forest Service land but that's a miniscule amount of federal property. And Forest Service land + all other fedreal land is a miniscule amount of the amount of the timberland. Most is private property; either large tracts owned by the timber companies or small farmland with a timber crop.

+1!

Gordy

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
None of the loggers I know work for the Forest Service. In fact I don't even know OF any who do. Loggers are independent contractors here. Having said that, no logger I know of would hire a sawyer unless he's been handling a chainsaw since he was a teenager.

+1 on this, too!

I would also add, that for "Jonny Homeowner", get some chainsaw safety training (not certification) and leave the tougher jobs for the professionals. Search the chainsaw threads on this forum for those discussions.

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE