Bush blade project in the works w.pics

Jan 12, 2009
Arkansas, USA
Here is a little bush blade I am working on, well, need to get back to work on that is. The blank is a slice of a 4ft dia. sawmill circle saw blade circa 1950 that my dad had in his workshop all these years, and once I got the itch to make a blade, he dragged the strips out, and let me have a go at them. I am going to handle it with a nice chunk of walnut, and 3/16" brass pins. I put a scandi on it with an angle grinder, and finished on a Norton India stone, then wet/dry paper up to 2000 grit. It is roughly sharpened, but I am waiting until I get the scales on it to properly sharpen it of course. I will most likely hire out the sheath work, as that is not my forte'. Feedback is welcome, but this is only my 2nd blade, so don't beat me to death.
knives060.jpg

knives059.jpg

knives054.jpg

knives044.jpg

knives064.jpg

knives062.jpg

Beckerhead

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
nice!
Before you do any work on the handle wrap the blade with thick tape.Saves spoiling the finish and your fingers.

Jan 12, 2009
Arkansas, USA
Thanks for the finger concern, but it is OK. My main reason for even getting it roughly sharp was to see if I was gonna leave it "as is" regarding hardness. I do & will exercise due caution with sharp pointy things. My fingers, toes, and other needed extremities thank you nonetheless!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Others who know more about the process will no doubt have more useful technical advice
I can only say it is looking pretty good to me; and it must be so satisfying to make and use your own knife
Looking forward to seeing the progress and finished article
You should have a go at a sheath as well for added satisfaction!
Nice one

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Very nice blade beckerhead. Go on, have a go at the sheath too. It's not that difficult. You can make a pattern out of thin cardboard, stick it together with sticky tape to make a sheath, and you can play with different designs like that, for free, and without using good leather. Then when you got a design you like, you can then cut you leather!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE